- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 130159, 5 pages
Passive Smoking as a Risk Factor of Dry Eye in Children
1Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
2Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
3Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Received 4 March 2012; Accepted 17 May 2012
Academic Editor: G. L. Spaeth
Copyright © 2012 Amany Abdel-Fattah El-Shazly et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Rieger, “The importance of the precorneal tear film for the quality of optical imaging,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 157–158, 1992.
- Z. Liu and S. C. Pflugfelder, “Corneal surface regularity and the effect of artificial tears in aqueous tear deficiency,” Ophthalmology, vol. 106, no. 5, pp. 939–943, 1999.
- E. Goto, Y. Yagi, Y. Matsumoto, and K. Tsubota, “Impaired functional visual acuity of dry eye patients,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 181–186, 2002.
- S. C. Pflugfelder, D. Jones, Z. Ji, A. Afonso, and D. Monroy, “Altered cytokine balance in the tear fluid and conjunctiva of patients with Sjögren's syndrome keratoconjunctivitis sicca,” Current Eye Research, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 201–211, 1999.
- K. Tsubota, T. Fujihara, K. Saito, and T. Takeuchi, “Conjunctival epithelium expression of HLA-DR in dry eye patients,” Ophthalmologica, vol. 213, no. 1, pp. 16–19, 1999.
- J. Seddon and D. Fong, “Introducing 'public health and the eye',” Survey of Ophthalmology, vol. 38, no. 4, p. 325, 1994.
- A. Satici, M. Bitiren, I. Ozardali, H. Vural, A. Kilic, and M. Guzey, “The effects of chronic smoking on the ocular surface and tear characteristics: a clinical, histological and biochemical study,” Acta Ophthalmologica Scandinavica, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 583–587, 2003.
- N. Meda, P. Chevalier, and C. Mathieu-Daude, “Ocular manifestations associated with vitamin A deficiency in a rural area of Burkina Faso,” Journal of Tropical Medicine, vol. 60, pp. 57–60, 2000.
- M. Dogru, C. Katakami, and M. Inoue, “Tear function and ocular surface changes in noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus,” Ophthalmology, vol. 108, no. 3, pp. 586–592, 2001.
- L. T. Jones, “The lacrimal secretory system and its treatment,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 47–60, 1966.
- S. Sood, R. Shukla, M. Nada, A. K. Khurana, and B. Arora, “Comparison of tear profile, conjunctival impression cytology, and conjunctival biopsy in patients with dry eye,” Asian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 24–27, 2006.
- M. Alves, A. C. Dias, and E. M. Rocha, “Dry eye in childhood: epidemiological and clinical aspects,” Ocular Surface, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 44–51, 2008.
- P. Jatlow, S. McKee, and S. S. O'Malley, “Correction of urine cotinine concentrations for creatinine excretion: is it useful?” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 1932–1934, 2003.
- Y. Matsumoto, M. Dogru, E. Goto et al., “Alterations of the tear film and ocular surface health in chronic smokers,” Eye, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 961–968, 2008.
- D. D. Altinors, S. Akça, Y. A. Akova et al., “Smoking associated with damage to the lipid layer of the ocular surface,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 141, no. 6, pp. 1016–1021, 2006.
- K. C. Yoon, B. Y. Song, and M. S. Seo, “Effects of smoking on tear film and ocular surface,” Korean Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 18–22, 2005.
- S. E. Moss, R. Klein, and B. E. K. Klein, “Prevalance of and risk factors for dry eye syndrome,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 118, no. 9, pp. 1264–1268, 2000.
- A. J. Lee, J. Lee, S. M. Saw et al., “Prevalence and risk factors associated with dry eye symptoms: a population based study in Indonesia,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 86, no. 12, pp. 1347–1351, 2002.
- A. Sahai and P. Malik, “Dry eye: prevalence and attributable risk factors in a hospital-based population,” Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 87–91, 2005.
- M. Uchino, D. A. Schaumberg, M. Dogru et al., “Prevalence of dry eye disease among Japanese visual display terminal users,” Ophthalmology, vol. 115, no. 11, pp. 1982–1988, 2008.
- A. Bukhari, R. Ajlan, and H. Alsaggaf, “Prevalence of dry eye in the normal population in jeddah, Saudi Arabia,” Orbit, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 392–397, 2009.
- L. Tongg, S. M. Saw, E. L. Lamoureux et al., “A questionnaire-based assessment of symptoms associated with tear film dysfunction and lid margin disease in an Asian population,” Ophthalmic Epidemiology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 31–37, 2009.
- J. L. Gayton, “Etiology, prevalence, and treatment of dry eye disease,” Clinical Ophthalmology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 405–412, 2009.