- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 350475, 6 pages
Ocular Circulation and Chronic Ocular Ischemic Syndrome before and after Carotid Artery Revascularization Surgery
Department of Neurosurgery, Nara Prefectural Nara Hospital, Nara 631-0846, Japan
Received 5 March 2012; Revised 14 October 2012; Accepted 15 November 2012
Academic Editor: Stacey S. Choi
Copyright © 2012 Shoichiro Kawaguchi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Lamirel, N. J. Newman, and V. Biousse, “Vascular neuro-ophthalmology,” Handbook of Clinical Neurology, vol. 93, pp. 595–611, 2009.
- V. P. Costa, S. Kuzniec, L. J. Molnar, G. G. Cerri, P. Puech-Leao, and C. A. Carvalho, “Clinical findings and hemodynamic changes associated with severe occlusive carotid artery disease,” Ophthalmology, vol. 104, no. 12, pp. 1994–2002, 1997.
- L. H. Y. Young and R. E. Appen, “Ischemic oculopathy. A manifestation of carotid artery disease,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 358–361, 1981.
- D. W. Taylor and H. J. M. Barnett, “Beneficial effect of carotid endarterectomy in symptomatic patients with high-grade carotid stenosis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 325, no. 7, pp. 445–453, 1991.
- P. M. Rothwell, M. Eliasziw, S. A. Gutnikov, et al., “Analysis of pooled data from the randomized controlled trials of endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosis,” The Lancet, vol. 361, pp. 107–116, 2003.
- J. B. Mizener, P. Podhajky, and S. S. Hayreh, “Ocular ischemic syndrome,” Ophthalmology, vol. 104, pp. 859–864, 1997.
- R. C. Sergott, P. M. Flaharty, W. E. Lieb et al., “Color Doppler imaging identifies four syndromes of the retrobulbar circulation in patients with amaurosis fugax and central retinal artery occlusions,” Transactions of the American Ophthalmological Society, vol. 90, pp. 383–402, 1992.
- S. Takayama, M. Watanabe, H. Kusuyama, et al., “Evaluation of the effects of acupuncture on blood flow in humans with ultrasound color Doppler imaging,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 513638, 8 pages, 2012.
- T. Yamamoto, K. Mori, T. Yasuhara, et al., “Ophthalmic artery blood flow in patients with internal carotid artery occlusion,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 88, pp. 505–508, 2004.
- K. Riihelainen, M. Paivansalo, I. Suramo, and L. Laatikainen, “The effect of carotid endarterectomy on ocular blood velocity,” Ophthalmology, vol. 104, no. 4, pp. 672–675, 1997.
- A. Kodama, K. Sugioka, K. Kuniyoshi, S. Okuyama, C. Matsumoto, and Y. Shimomura, “Intravitreal bevacizumab injection and carotid artery stent replacement for neovascular glaucoma in internal carotid artery occlusion,” Clinical Ophthalmology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 1177–1180, 2010.
- S. Kawaguchi, T. Sakaki, T. Morimoto, S. Okuno, and N. Nishikawa, “Effects of bypass on ocular ischaemic syndrome caused by reversed flow in the ophthalmic artery,” The Lancet, vol. 354, no. 9195, pp. 2052–2053, 1999.
- S. Kawaguchi, S. Okuno, T. Sakaki, and N. Nishikawa, “Effect of carotid endarterectomy on chronic ocular ischemic syndrome due to internal carotid artery stenosis,” Neurosurgery, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 328–333, 2001.
- S. Kawaguchi, T. Sakaki, H. Iwahashi et al., “Effect of carotid artery stenting on ocular circulation and chronic ocular ischemic syndrome,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 22, no. 5-6, pp. 402–408, 2006.
- H. H. Hu, S. Wang, C. M. Chern, et al., “Clinical significance of the ophthalmic artery in carotid artery disease,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 92, pp. 242–246, 1995.
- W. E. Lieb, P. M. Flaharty, R. C. Sergott et al., “Color Doppler imaging provides accurate assessment of orbital blood flow in occlusive carotid artery disease,” Ophthalmology, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 548–552, 1991.
- T. H. Williamson and A. Harris A, “Color Doppler ultrasound imag¬ing of the eye and orbit,” Survey of Ophthalmology, vol. 40, pp. 255–267, 1996.
- P. Cattaneo, P. Marchetti, V. D. Bruno, G. Mariscalco, and A. Sala, “Color Doppler imaging of the ophthalmic artery: during antegrade selective cerebral perfusion,” Texas Heart Institute Journal, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 105–107, 2007.