- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 484892, 6 pages
Advances in the Diagnosis and Treatment of Acanthamoeba Keratitis
Department of Ophthalmology, Whipps Cross University Hospital, Whipps Cross Road, London E11 1NR, UK
Received 13 July 2012; Accepted 17 November 2012
Academic Editor: Chi-Chao Chan
Copyright © 2012 Benjamin Clarke et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Naginton, P. G. Watson, T. J. Playfair, J. McGill, B. R. Jones, and A. D. Steele, “Amoebic infection of the eye,” The Lancet, vol. 2, no. 7896, pp. 1537–1540, 1974.
- N. Ashton and W. Stamm, “Amoebic infection of the eye: a pathological report,” Transactions of the Ophthalmological Societies of the United Kingdom, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 214–220, 1975.
- P. R. Badenoch, “The pathogenesis of Acanthamoeba keratitis,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 9–20, 1991.
- H. Jasim, N. Knox-Cartwright, S. Cook, and D. Tole, “Increase in Acanthamoeba keratitis may be associated with use of multipurpose contact lens solution,” British Medical Journal, vol. 344, Article ID e1246, 2012.
- C. D. Illingworth and S. D. Cook, “Acanthamoeba keratitis,” Survey of Ophthalmology, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 493–508, 1998.
- K. M. Hammersmith, “Diagnosis and management of Acanthamoeba keratitis,” Current Opinion in Ophthalmology, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 327–331, 2006.
- J. K. G. Dart, V. P. J. Saw, and S. Kilvington, “Acanthamoeba Keratitis: Diagnosis and Treatment Update 2009,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 148, no. 4, pp. 487.e2–499.e2, 2009.
- R. V. Lawande, S. N. Abraham, I. John, and L. J. Egler, “Recovery of soil amebas from the nasal passages of children during the dusty harmattan period in Zaria,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 201–203, 1979.
- D. A. Schaumberg, K. K. Snow, and M. R. Dana, “The epidemic of Acanthamoeba keratitis: where do we stand?” Cornea, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 3–10, 1998.
- C. F. Radford, D. C. Minassian, and J. K. G. Dart, “Acanthamoeba keratitis in England and Wales: incidence, outcome, and risk factors,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 536–542, 2002.
- M. Pussard and R. Pons, “Morphologies de la paroikystique et taxonomie du genre Acanthamoeba (Protozoa, Amoebida),” Protistologica, vol. 13, pp. 557–610, 1981.
- P. R. Badenoch, A. M. Johnson, P. E. Christy, and D. J. Coster, “Pathogenicity of Acanthamoeba and a Corynebacterium in the rat cornea,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 107–112, 1990.
- K. Hiti, J. Walochnik, C. Faschinger, E. M. Haller-Schober, and H. Aspöck, “One- and two-step hydrogen peroxide contact lens disinfection solutions against Acanthamoeba: how effective are they?” Eye, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1301–1305, 2005.
- P. Lalitha, C. C. Lin, M. Srinivasan et al., “Acanthamoeba keratitis in South India: a longitudinal analysis of epidemics,” Ophthalmic Epidemiology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 111–115, 2012.
- G. L. McLaughlin, J. E. Stimac, J. M. Luke et al., “Development of Acanthamoeba-cornea coincubation assays,” Reviews of Infectious Diseases, vol. 13, supplement 5, pp. S397–S398, 1991.
- J. Y. Niederkorn, H. Alizadeh, H. Leher, and J. P. McCulley, “The pathogenesis of Acanthamoeba keratitis,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 437–443, 1999.
- D. W. Clarke and J. Y. Niederkorn, “The pathophysiology of Acanthamoeba keratitis,” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 175–180, 2006.
- D. W. Clarke, H. Alizadeh, and J. Y. Niederkorn, “Failure of Acanthamoeba castellanii to produce intraocular infections,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 2472–2478, 2005.
- G. S. Visvesvara and W. Balamuth, “Comparative studies on related free living and pathogenic amebae with special reference to Acanthamoeba,” Journal of Protozoology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 245–256, 1975.
- S. Sharma, S. Athmanathan, M. Ata-Ur-Rasheed, P. Garg, and G. N. Rao, “Evaluation of immunoperoxidase staining technique in the diagnosis of Acanthamoeba keratitis,” Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 181–186, 2001.
- M. L. Turner, E. J. Cockerell, H. M. Brereton et al., “Antigens of selected Acanthamoeba species detected with monoclonal antibodies,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 981–990, 2005.
- A. K. Boggild, D. S. Martin, T. Y. Lee, B. Yu, and D. E. Low, “Laboratory diagnosis of amoebic keratitis: comparison of four diagnostic methods for different types of clinical specimens,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 1314–1318, 2009.
- M. Kandori, T. Inoue, F. Takamatsu et al., “Two cases of Acanthamoeba keratitis diagnosed only by real-time polymerase chain reaction,” Cornea, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 228–231, 2010.
- M. Itahashi, S. Higaki, M. Fukuda, H. Mishima, and Y. Shimomura, “Utility of real-time polymerase chain reaction in diagnosing and treating Acanthamoeba keratitis,” Cornea, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 1233–1237, 2011.
- Y. Ikeda, D. Miyazaki, K. Yakura et al., “Assessment of real-time polymerase chain reaction detection of Acanthamoeba and prognosis determinants of Acanthamoeba keratitis,” Ophthalmology, vol. 119, no. 6, pp. 1111–1119, 2012.
- K. Khairnar, G. S. Tamber, F. Ralevski, and D. R. Pillai, “Comparison of molecular diagnostic methods for the detection of Acanthamoeba spp. from clinical specimens submitted for keratitis,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 499–506, 2011.
- T. Le Calvez, M. C. Trouilhé, P. Humeau, M. Moletta-Denat, J. Frère, and Y. Héchard, “Detection of free-living amoebae by using multiplex quantitative PCR,” Mollecular and Cellular Probes, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 116–120, 2012.
- P. Laummaunwai, W. Ruangjirachuporn, and T. Boonmars, “A simple PCR condition for detection of a single cyst of Acanthamoeba species,” Parasitology Research, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 1569–1572, 2012.
- S. Hauber, H. Parkes, R. Siddiqui, and N. A. Khan, “The use of high-resolution 1H nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy in the clinical diagnosis of Acanthamoeba,” Parasitology Research, vol. 109, no. 6, pp. 1661–1669, 2011.
- D. N. Parmar, S. T. Awwad, W. M. Petroll, R. W. Bowman, J. P. McCulley, and H. D. Cavanagh, “Tandem scanning confocal corneal microscopy in the diagnosis of suspected Acanthamoeba keratitis,” Ophthalmology, vol. 113, no. 4, pp. 538–547, 2006.
- S. C. Hau, J. K. G. Dart, M. Vesaluoma et al., “Diagnostic accuracy of microbial keratitis with in vivo scanning laser confocal microscopy,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 94, no. 8, pp. 982–987, 2010.
- P. K. Vaddavalli, P. Garg, S. Sharma, V. S. Sangwan, G. N. Rao, and R. Thomas, “Role of confocal microscopy in the diagnosis of fungal and Acanthamoeba keratitis,” Ophthalmology, vol. 118, no. 1, pp. 29–35, 2011.
- E. Y. Tu, C. E. Joslin, J. Sugar, G. C. Booton, M. E. Shoff, and P. A. Fuerst, “The relative value of confocal microscopy and superficial corneal scrapings in the diagnosis of Acanthamoeba keratitis,” Cornea, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 764–772, 2008.
- S. Bang, E. Edell, A. O. Eghrari, and J. D. Gottsch, “Treatment with voriconazole in 3 eyes with resistant Acanthamoeba keratitis,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 149, no. 1, pp. 66–69, 2010.
- E. Y. Tu, C. E. Joslin, and M. E. Shoff, “Successful treatment of chronic stromal Acanthamoeba keratitis with oral voriconazole monotherapy,” Cornea, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1066–1068, 2010.
- D. H. Park, D. A. Palay, S. M. Daya, R. D. Stulting, J. H. Krachmer, and E. J. Holland, “The role of topical corticosteroids in the management of Acanthamoeba keratitis,” Cornea, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 277–283, 1997.
- S. T. Awwad, D. N. Parmar, M. Heilman, R. W. Bowman, J. P. McCulley, and H. D. Cavanagh, “Results of penetrating keratoplasty for visual rehabilitation after Acanthamoeba keratitis,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 140, no. 6, pp. 1080.e2–1084.e2, 2005.
- T. H. Nguyen, R. W. Weisenthal, G. J. Florakis, J. J. Reidy, R. N. Gaster, and D. Tom, “Penetrating keratoplasty in active Acanthamoeba keratitis,” Cornea, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1000–1004, 2010.
- A. Parthasarathy and D. T. H. Tan, “Deep lamellar keratoplasty for Acanthamoeba keratitis,” Cornea, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1021–1023, 2007.
- Y. M. Por, J. S. Mehta, J. L. L. Chua et al., “Acanthamoeba keratitis associated with contact lens wear in Singapore,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 7.e2–12.e2, 2009.
- N. Szentmáry, S. Goebels, P. Matoula, F. Schirra, and B. Seitz, “Die Akanthamöbenkeratitis—ein seltenes und oft spät diagnostiziertes Chamäleon,” Klinische Monatsblatter fur Augenheilkunde, vol. 229, no. 5, pp. 521–528, 2012.
- M. Kandori, T. Inoue, M. Shimabukuro et al., “Four cases of Acanthamoeba keratitis treated with phototherapeutic keratectomy,” Cornea, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 1199–1202, 2010.
- R. T. Kashiwabuchi, F. R. Carvalho, Y. A. Khan et al., “Assessing efficacy of combined riboflavin and UV-A light (365 nm) treatment of Acanthamoeba trophozoites,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 52, no. 13, pp. 9333–9338, 2011.
- M. A. del Buey, J. A. Cristóbal, P. Casas et al., “Evaluation of in vitro efficacy of combined riboflavin and ultraviolet a for Acanthamoeba isolates,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 153, no. 3, pp. 399–404, 2012.
- L. Garduño-Vieyra, C. R. Gonzalez-Sanchez, and S. E. Hernandez-da Mota, “Case report ultraviolet—a light and riboflavin therapy for acanthamoeba keratitis: a case report,” Ophthalmology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 291–295, 2011.
- Y. A. Khan, R. T. Kashiwabuchi, S. A. Martins et al., “Riboflavin and ultraviolet light a therapy as an adjuvant treatment for medically refractive Acanthamoeba keratitis: report of 3 cases,” Ophthalmology, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 324–331, 2011.
- L. Müller, M. A. Thiel, A. I. Kipfer-Kauer, and C. Kaufmann, “Corneal cross-linking as supplementary treatment option in melting keratitis: a case series,” Klinische Monatsblatter fur Augenheilkunde, vol. 229, no. 4, pp. 411–415, 2012.