- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 402739, 6 pages
Epidemiological Properties of Primary Open Angle Glaucoma in Nigeria
Department of Ophthalmology, Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Bayero University, PMB 3452, Kano, Nigeria
Received 28 February 2013; Revised 17 April 2013; Accepted 22 April 2013
Academic Editor: Huseyin Gursoy
Copyright © 2013 Lawan Abdu. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- 2013, http://one.aao.org/ce/practiceguidelies/ppp.aspx?sid=ca9ec1b5-2567-4e85-96f6-b6540e5ac5a1.
- C. Cook and P. Foster, “Epidemiology of glaucoma: what’s new,” Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 223–226, 2012.
- L. Abdu, “Prevalence and causes of blindness and low vision in Dambatta local government area, Kano State, Nigeria,” Nigerian Journal of Medicine, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 108–112, 2002.
- I. E. Murdoch, S. N. Cousens, O. E. Babalola, et al., “Glaucoma prevalence may not be uniformly high in all “black” populations,” African Journal of Medicine & Medical Sciences, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 337–339, 2001.
- A. Adeoye, “Survey of blindness in rural communities of south-wesern Nigeria,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 672–676, 1996.
- A. M. Agbeja-Baiyeroju, C. O. Bekibele, E. A. Bamgboye, F. Omokhodion, and T. S. Oluleye, “The Ibadan glaucoma study,” African Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 371–376, 2003.
- A. E. Omoti, A. I. Osahon, and M. J. M. Waziri-Erameh, “Pattern of presentation of primary open-angle glaucoma in Benin City, Nigeria,” Tropical Doctor, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 97–100, 2006.
- O. A. Dawodu, A. I. Osahon, and E. Emifoniye, “Prevalence and causes of blindness in Otibhor Okhae Teaching Hospital, Irrua, Edo State, Nigeria,” Ophthalmic Epidemiology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 323–330, 2003.
- M. M. Abdull, S. Sivasubramaniam, G. V. S. Murthy et al., “Causes of blindness and visual impairment in Nigeria: the Nigeria national blindness and visual impairment survey,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 4114–4120, 2009.
- C. T. Ntim-Amponsah, W. M. K. Amoaku, S. Ofosu-Amaah et al., “Prevalence of glaucoma in an African population,” Eye, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 491–497, 2004.
- P. K. Balo, J. Wabagira, M. Banla, and R. K. Kuaovi, “Blindness and visual impairment in a rural area of Southern Togo,” Journal Francais d'Ophtalmologie, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 459–464, 2000.
- A. Ellong, C. E. Myogo, A. L. Bella-Hiaq, et al., “Prevalence of glaucoma in a Black Cameroonian population,” Santé, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 83–88, 2006.
- Nigerian Population Report, 2013, http://www.nationmaster.com/country/ni-nigeria/peo-people.
- A. Lawan, “Pattern of presentation and outcome of surgical management of primary open angle glaucoma in Kano, Northern Nigeria,” Annals of African Medicine, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 180–185, 2007.
- E. A. Awoyesuku and C. S. Ejimadu, “Visual disability in newly diagnosed primary open angle glaucoma (POAG) in a tertiary hospital in Nigeria,” Nigerian Medical Journal, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 78–80, 2012.
- R. Wormald and A. Foster, “Clinical and pathological features of chronic glaucoma in north-east Ghana,” Eye, vol. 4, part 1, pp. 107–114, 1990.
- M. Mafwiri, R. J. C. Bowman, M. Wood, and J. Kabiru, “Primary open-angle glaucoma presentation at a tertiary unit in Africa: intraocular pressure levels and visual status,” Ophthalmic Epidemiology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 299–302, 2005.
- Federal Road Safety Commission Nigeria, Decree No 45 of 1988 Amended decree 35 of 1992. Statutes book The FRSC Act Cap 141 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria (LFN) Passed by National Assembly Act, 2007, http://www.nigeriadriverslicense.org/.
- A. L. Osahon, “Consequences of traditional eye medicine in U.B.T.H Benin City,” Nigerian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 3, pp. 51–54, 1995.
- K. D. Ayena, A. D. R. Agbo, A. B. M. Attaya et al., “Characteristics of cup/disc ratios in a population of northern Togo aged 20–40 years,” Journal Francais d'Ophtalmologie, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 408–413, 2010.
- S. N. Nwosu and A. I. Apakama, “The anterior chamber angle width in a tertiary eye hospital in Nigeria,” Nigerian Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 132–135, 2012.
- O. Komolafe, O. Olawoye, O. Fafawora, et al., “Demographic and clinical profile of patients with juvenile onset open angle glaucoma in southwestern Nigeria,” Nigerian Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 395–399, 2011.
- M. J. Doughty and M. L. Zaman, “Human corneal thickness and its impact on intraocular pressure measures: a review and meta-analysis approach,” Survey of Ophthalmology, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 367–408, 2000.
- D. K. Dueker, K. Singh, S. C. Lin et al., “Corneal thickness measurement in the management of primary open-angle glaucoma. A report by the American Academy of Ophthalmology,” Ophthalmology, vol. 114, no. 9, pp. 1779–1787, 2007.
- J. M. G. Wilson and G. Jungner, Principles and Practice of Screening for Disease, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 1968.
- S. Tchabi, C. Doutétien, A. Amoussouga et al., “Intraocular pressure in the Beninese: screening for primary open-angle glaucoma,” Journal Francais d'Ophtalmologie, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 623–626, 2005.
- E. M. Munachonga, A. B. Hall, and P. Courtright, “Examination of first-degree relatives of patients with glaucoma: a randomized trial of strategies to increase use in an eye hospital in Africa,” Ophthalmic Epidemiology, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 155–159, 2007.
- P. R. Preussner, A. Grossmann, F. Ngounou, et al., “Glaucoma screening in western Cameroon,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 247, no. 12, pp. 1671–1675, 2009.
- L. Yehouessi, C. Doutetien, I. Sounouvou, S. Tchabi, C. Avognon, and S. K. Bassabi, “Detection of primary open-angle glaucoma at the National University Hospital Cotonou, Benin,” Journal Francais d'Ophtalmologie, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 20–24, 2009.
- A. O. Mahmoud, C. O. Omolase, and K. Ekundayo, “Evaluation of oculo-kinetic perimatry glaucoma screening test in a sub-Saharan African setting,” West African Journal of Medicine, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 134–138, 2008.
- J. M. Tielsch, A. Sommer, J. Katz, R. M. Royall, H. A. Quigley, and J. Javitt, “Racial variations in the prevalence of primary open-angle glaucoma: the Baltimore eye survey,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 266, no. 3, pp. 369–374, 1991.
- M. C. Leske, A. M. S. Connell, A. P. Schachat, and L. Hyman, “The Barbados Eye Study: prevalence of open angle glaucoma,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 112, no. 6, pp. 821–829, 1994.
- A. P. Rotchford and G. J. Johnson, “Glaucoma in Zulus: a population-based cross-sectional survey in a rural district in South Africa,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 120, no. 4, pp. 471–478, 2002.
- A. P. Rotchford, J. F. Kirwan, M. A. Muller, G. J. Johnson, and P. Roux, “Temba Glaucoma Study: a population-based cross-sectional survey in urban South Africa,” Ophthalmology, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 376–382, 2003.
- P. Challa, L. W. Herndon, M. A. Hauser et al., “Prevalence of myocilin mutations in adults with primary open-angle glaucoma in Ghana, West Africa,” Journal of Glaucoma, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 416–420, 2002.
- K. K. Abu-Amero, M. A. Hauser, G. Mohamed, et al., “Mitochondrial genetic background in Ghanaian patients with primary open angle glaucoma,” Molecular Vision, vol. 18, pp. 1955–1959, 2012.
- Y. Liu, S. Akafo, C. Santiago-Turla et al., “Optineurin coding variants in Ghanaian patients with primary open-angle glaucoma,” Molecular Vision, vol. 14, pp. 2367–2372, 2008.
- A. O. Onakoya, C. A. Mbadugha, O. T. Aribaba, and O. O. Ibidapo, “Quality of life of primary open angle glaucoma patients in Lagos, Nigeria: clinical and sociodemographic correlates,” Journal of Glaucoma, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 287–295, 2012.
- O. A. Adedayo and A. O. Alfred, “Economic burden of glaucoma in Rivers State, Nigeria,” Journal of Clinical Ophthalmology, vol. 6, pp. 2023–2031, 2012.
- O. Fasina, A. O. Ashaye, and B. G. Ajayi, “The effect of timolol maleate on tear film break-up time in Nigerians,” African journal of medicine and medical sciences, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 43–47, 2008.
- A. O. Ashaye and A. O. Adeoye, “Characteristics of patients who dropout from a glaucoma clinic,” Journal of Glaucoma, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 227–232, 2008.
- A. O. Adefule-Ositelu, B. O. Adegbehingbe, A. K. Adefule, et al., “Efficacy of Garcinia kola 0.5% aqueous eye drops in patients with primary open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension,” Middle East African Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 88–93, 2010.
- Human Development Report, 2011, http://hdr.undp.org/.
- D. Broadway, I. Grierson, and R. Hitchings, “Racial differences in the results of glaucoma filtration surgery: are racial differences in the conjunctival cell profile important?” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 466–475, 1994.
- AGIS Investigators, “The advanced Glaucoma Intervention Study (AGIS): 13. Comparison of treatment outcomes within race: 10 year results,” Ophthalmology, vol. 101, pp. 1651–1656, 2004.
- C. P. Thommy and I. S. Bhar, “Trabeculectomy in Nigerian patients with open-angle glaucoma,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 636–642, 1979.
- B. O. Adegbehingbe and T. Majemgbasan, “A review of trabeculectomies at a Nigerian Teaching Hospital,” Ghana Medical Journal, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 176–180, 2007.
- N. Anand, C. Mielke, and V. K. Dawda, “Trabeculectomy outcomes in advanced glaucoma in Nigeria,” Eye, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 274–278, 2001.
- A. M. Agbeja-Baiyeroju, M. Omoruyi, and E. T. Owoaje, “Effectiveness of trabeculectomy on glaucoma patients in Ibadan,” African Journal of Medicine & Medical Sciences, vol. 30, no. 1-2, pp. 39–42, 2001.
- O. O. Komolafe, A. O. Ashaye, C. O. Bekibele, et al., “Outcome of trabeculectomy with 5-fluorouracil using releasable suture technique in a Nigerian Tertiary Hospital,” West African Journal of Medicine, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 173–177, 2011.
- H. Y. Kim, P. R. Egbert, and K. Singh, “Long-term comparison of primary trabeculectomy with 5-fluorouracil versus mitomycin C in West Africa,” Journal of Glaucoma, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 578–583, 2008.
- A. Lam, C. M. Seck, A. Borzeix, M. Faye, and D. Pintart, “Trabeculectomy without antimetabolite in black African primary open angle glaucoma,” Journal Francais d'Ophtalmologie, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 563–568, 2000.
- C. Mielke, V. K. Dawda, and N. Anand, “Deep sclerectomy and low dose mitomycin C: a randomised prospective trial in west Africa,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 310–313, 2006.
- T. Shaarawy, C. Nguyen, C. Schnyder, and A. Mermoud, “Five year results of viscocanalostomy,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 441–445, 2003.
- R. Stegmann, A. Pienaar, and D. Miller, “Viscocanalostomy for open-angle glaucoma in black African patients,” Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 316–322, 1999.
- M. C. Grieshaber, A. Pienaar, J. Olivier, and R. Stegmann, “Canaloplasty for primary open-angle glaucoma: long-term outcome,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 94, no. 11, pp. 1478–1482, 2010.
- A. Chakib, N. Ouarrach, M. Haloui, M. Elbelhadji, and A. Amraoui, “Viscocanalostomy: preliminary clinical results,” Journal Francais d'Ophtalmologie, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 403–407, 2010.
- E. Dahan and T. R. Carmichael, “Implantation of a miniature glaucoma device under a scleral flap,” Journal of Glaucoma, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 98–102, 2005.
- P. P. Chen, T. Yamamoto, A. Sawada, R. K. Parrish, and Y. Kitazawa, “Use of antifibrosis agents and glaucoma drainage devices in the American and Japanese Glaucoma Societies,” Journal of Glaucoma, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 192–196, 1997.
- S. J. Gedde, J. C. Schiffman, W. J. Feuer, L. W. Herndon, J. D. Brandt, and D. L. Budenz, “Three-year follow-up of the Tube Versus Trabeculectomy Study,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 148, no. 5, pp. 670–684, 2009.
- A. E. Omoti, V. W. Okeigbemen, and J. M. Waziri-Erameh, “Current concepts in the diagnosis of primary open angle glaucoma,” West African Journal of Medicine, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 141–147, 2009.