- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 465169, 9 pages
Choice of Cell Source in Cell-Based Therapies for Retinal Damage due to Age-Related Macular Degeneration: A Review
1The Mary-Yoshio Translational Hexagon (MYTH), Nichi-In Centre for Regenerative Medicine (NCRM), P.O. Box 1262, Nungambakkam, Chennai 600034, India
2Aditya Jyot Eye Hospital, Plot No. 153, Road No. 9, Major Parmeshwaran Road, Opp S.I.W.S. College Gate No. 3, Wadala, Mumbai 400 031, India
3The Light Eye Hospital, No. 39 D, By Pass Road, Dharmapuri Ho, Dharmapuri, Tamil Nadu 636701, India
4Sankara Eye Hospital, Varthur Main Road, Marthahalli, Kundalahalli Gate, Bangalore 560037, India
5Department of Biotechnology, Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh 522510, India
6Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
7Department of Clinical Research, Faculty of Medicine, University of Yamanashi, 1110 Shimokato, Chuo 409-3898, Japan
Received 7 January 2013; Revised 18 February 2013; Accepted 5 March 2013
Academic Editor: Pierre Lachapelle
Copyright © 2013 Sudhakar John et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Huang, V. Enzmann, and S. T. Ildstad, “Stem cell-based therapeutic applications in retinal degenerative diseases,” Stem Cell Reviews and Reports, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 434–445, 2011.
- S. Katta, I. Kaur, and S. Chakrabarti, “The molecular genetic basis of age-related macular degeneration: an overview,” Journal of Genetics, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 425–449, 2009.
- A. Filho, S. R. Salomão, A. Berezovsky et al., “Prevalence of visual impairment, blindness, ocular disorders and cataract surgery outcomes in low-income elderly from a metropolitan region of São Paulo—Brazil,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Oftalmologia, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 246–253, 2008.
- D. S. Friedman, B. J. O'Colmain, B. Muñoz et al., “Prevalence of age-related macular degeneration in the United States,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 564–572, 2004.
- A. Chopdar, U. Chakravarthy, and D. Verma, “Age related macular degeneration,” The British Medical Journal, vol. 326, no. 7387, pp. 485–488, 2003.
- C. A. Curcio, N. E. Medeiros, and C. L. Millican, “Photoreceptor loss in age-related macular degeneration,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 1236–1249, 1996.
- N. E. Medeiros and C. A. Curcio, “Preservation of ganglion cell layer neurons in age-related macular degeneration,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 795–803, 2001.
- M. Mozaffarieh and A. Wedrich, “Editorial overview: steroid therapy for exudative age-related macular degeneration: bridging the gap until a cure is found,” Current Opinion in Investigational Drugs, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 18–19, 2006.
- J. Mitchell and C. Bradley, “Quality of life in age-related macular degeneration: a review of the literature,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 4, article 97, 2006.
- J. P. Hubschman, S. Reddy, and S. D. Schwartz, “Age-related macular degeneration: current treatments,” Clinical Ophthalmology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 155–166, 2009.
- A. J. Fischer and T. A. Reh, “Transdifferentiation of pigmented epithelial cells: a source of retinal stem cells?” Developmental Neuroscience, vol. 23, no. 4-5, pp. 268–276, 2001.
- C. Yoshii, Y. Ueda, M. Okamoto, and M. Araki, “Neural retinal regeneration in the anuran amphibian Xenopus laevis post-metamorphosis: transdifferentiation of retinal pigmented epithelium regenerates the neural retina,” Developmental Biology, vol. 303, no. 1, pp. 45–56, 2007.
- P. F. Hitchcock and P. A. Raymond, “Retinal regeneration,” Trends in Neurosciences, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 103–108, 1992.
- S. Z. Wang, W. Ma, R. T. Yan, and W. Mao, “Generating retinal neurons by reprogramming retinal pigment epithelial cells,” Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 1227–1239, 2010.
- P. E. Royo and W. B. Quay, “Retinal transplantation from fetal to maternal mammalian eye,” Growth, vol. 23, pp. 313–336, 1959.
- L. X. Li and J. E. Turner, “Inherited retinal dystrophy in the RCS rat: prevention of photoreceptor degeneration by pigment epithelial cell transplantation,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 911–917, 1988.
- R. C. Siqueira, “Autologous transplantation of retinal pigment epithelium in age related macular degeneration,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Oftalmologia, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 123–130, 2009.
- P. Gouras and P. Algvere, “Retinal cell transplantation in the macula: new techniques,” Vision Research, vol. 36, no. 24, pp. 4121–4125, 1996.
- R. Lopez, P. Gouras, M. Brittis, and H. Kjeldbye, “Transplantation of cultured rabbit retinal epithelium to rabbit retina using a closed-eye method,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1131–1137, 1987.
- G. A. Peyman, K. J. Blinder, C. L. Paris, W. Alturki, N. C. Nelson Jr., and U. A. Desai, “A technique for retinal pigment epithelium transplantation for age-related macular degeneration secondary to extensive subfoveal scarring,” Ophthalmic Surgery, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 102–108, 1991.
- P. V. Algvere, L. Berglin, P. Gouras, Y. Sheng, and E. D. Kopp, “Transplantation of RPE in age-related macular degeneration: observations in disciform lesions and dry RPE atrophy,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 235, no. 3, pp. 149–158, 1997.
- S. Binder, I. Krebs, R. D. Hilgers et al., “Outcome of transplantation of autologous retinal pigment epithelium in age-related macular degeneration: a prospective trial,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 4151–4160, 2004.
- J. C. van Meurs, E. ter Averst, L. J. Hofland et al., “Autologous peripheral retinal pigment epithelium translocation in patients with subfoveal neovascular membranes,” The British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 110–113, 2004.
- P. E. Stanga, A. Kychenthal, F. W. Fitzke et al., “Retinal pigment epithelium translocation after choroidal neovascular membrane removal in age-related macular degeneration,” Ophthalmology, vol. 109, no. 8, pp. 1492–1498, 2002.
- A. M. Joussen, F. M. A. Heussen, S. Joeres et al., “Autologous translocation of the choroid and retinal pigment epithelium in age-related macular degeneration,” The American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 142, no. 1, pp. 17–30, 2006.
- R. C. Siqueira, “Autologous transplantation of the retinal pigment epithelium and choroid in the treatment of choroidal neovascularization,” in Abstract Book of the 9th International Ocular Inflammation Society (IOIS), p. 117, IOIS, Paris, France, 2007.
- F. K. Chen, G. S. Uppal, R. E. Maclaren et al., “Long-term visual and microperimetry outcomes following autologous retinal pigment epithelium choroid graft for neovascular age-related macular degeneration,” Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 275–285, 2009.
- F. M. A. Heussen, N. F. Fawzy, S. Joeres et al., “Autologous translocation of the choroid and RPE in age-related macular degeneration: 1-year follow-up in 30 patients and recommendations for patient selection,” Eye, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 799–807, 2008.
- I. Y. Wong, M. W. Poon, R. T. Pang, Q. Lian, and D. Wong, “Promises of stem cell therapy for retinal degenerative diseases,” Graefe's Archive For Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 249, no. 10, pp. 1439–1448, 2011.
- C. I. Falkner-Radler, I. Krebs, C. Glittenberg et al., “Human retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) transplantation: outcome after autologous RPE-choroid sheet and RPE cell-suspension in a randomised clinical study,” The British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 370–375, 2011.
- S. Binder, “Scaffolds for retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) replacement therapy,” The British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 441–442, 2011.
- C. J. Lee, P. Huie, T. Leng et al., “Microcontact printing on human tissue for retinal cell transplantation,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 120, no. 12, pp. 1714–1718, 2002.
- R. Senthilkumar, S. Manjunath, S. Baskar et al., “Successful transportation and in vitro expansion of Human Retinal Pigment Epithelium and its characterization, a step towards cell-based therapy for AMD,” Current Trends in Biotechnology and Pharmacy, vol. 6, pp. 44–54, 2012.
- S. Binder, U. Stolba, I. Krebs et al., “Transplantation of autologous retinal pigment epithelium in eyes with foveal neovascularization resulting from age-related macular degeneration: a pilot study,” The American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 215–225, 2002.
- Y. Sheng, P. Gouras, H. Cao et al., “Patch transplants of human fetal retinal pigment epithelium in rabbit and monkey retina,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 381–390, 1995.
- S. Binder, B. V. Stanzel, I. Krebs, and C. Glittenberg, “Transplantation of the RPE in AMD,” Progress in Retinal and Eye Research, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 516–554, 2007.
- M. G. Cereda, B. Parolini, E. Bellesini, and G. Pertile, “Surgery for CNV and autologous choroidal RPE patch transplantation: exposing the submacular space,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 248, no. 1, pp. 37–47, 2010.
- M. Stopa, J. Kocięcki, P. Rakowicz, and A. Dmitriew, “A pedicled autologous choroid RPE patch: a technique to preserve perfusion,” WIdeochIrurgIa I Inne technIkI MałoInwazyjne, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 220–223, 2012.
- D. E. Buchholz, S. T. Hikita, T. J. Rowland et al., “Derivation of functional retinal pigmented epithelium from induced pluripotent stem cells,” Stem Cells, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 2427–2434, 2009.
- S. E. Howden, A. Gore, Z. Li et al., “Genetic correction and analysis of induced pluripotent stem cells from a patient with gyrate atrophy,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 108, no. 16, pp. 6537–6542, 2011.
- A. D. Seaton and J. E. Turner, “RPE transplants stabilize retinal vasculature and prevent neovascularization in the RCS rat,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 83–91, 1992.
- W. L. Suen and Y. Chau, “Specific uptake of folate-decorated triamcinolone-encapsulating nanoparticles by retinal pigment epithelium cells enhances and prolongs antiangiogenic activity,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 167, no. 1, pp. 21–28, 2013.
- Y. X. Tao, H. W. Xu, Z. Q. Yin, and T. Fitzgibbon, “Noggin induces human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells to differentiate into neural and photoreceptor cells,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 444–452, 2010.
- Y. Hong and G. X. Xu, “Proteome changes during bone mesenchymal stem cell differentiation into photoreceptor-like cells in vitro,” International Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 466–473, 2011.
- A. Kicic, W. Y. Shen, A. S. Wilson, I. J. Constable, T. Robertson, and P. E. Rakoczy, “Differentiation of marrow stromal cells into photoreceptors in the rat eye,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 23, no. 21, pp. 7742–7749, 2003.
- M. Tomita, Y. Adachi, H. Yamada et al., “Bone marrow-derived stem cells can differentiate into retinal cells in injured rat retina,” Stem Cells, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 279–283, 2002.
- A. Otani, M. I. Dorrell, K. Kinder et al., “Rescue of retinal degeneration by intravitreally injected adult bone marrow-derived lineage-negative hematopoietic stem cells,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 114, no. 6, pp. 765–774, 2004.
- R. C. Siqueira, J. C. Voltarelli, A. M. V. Messias, and R. Jorge, “Possible mechanisms of retinal function recovery with the use of cell therapy with bone marrow-derived stem cells,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Oftalmologia, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 474–479, 2010.
- J. B. Jonas, M. Witzens-Harig, L. Arseniev, and A. D. Ho, “Intravitreal autologous bone marrow-derived mononuclear cell transplantation: a feasibility report,” Acta Ophthalmologica, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 225–226, 2008.
- J. B. Jonas, M. Witzens-Harig, L. Arseniev, and A. D. Ho, “Intravitreal autologous bone-marrow-derived mononuclear cell transplantation,” Acta Ophthalmologica, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. e131–e132, 2010.
- R. A. Pearson, A. C. Barber, M. Rizzi et al., “Restoration of vision after transplantation of photoreceptors,” Nature, vol. 485, pp. 99–103, 2012.
- A. C. Barber, C. Hippert, Y. Duran et al., “Repair of the degenerate retina by photoreceptor transplantation,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 354–359, 2013.
- W. Ma, R. T. Yan, X. Li, and S. Z. Wang, “Reprogramming retinal pigment epithelium to differentiate toward retinal neurons with Sox2,” Stem Cells, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1376–1387, 2009.
- R. T. Yan, L. Liang, W. Ma, X. Li, W. Xie, and S. Z. Wang, “Neurogenin 1 effectively reprograms cultured chick retinal pigment epithelial cells to differentiate toward photoreceptors,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 518, no. 4, pp. 526–546, 2010.
- W. Mao, R. T. Yan, and S. Z. Wang, “Reprogramming chick RPE progeny cells to differentiate towards retinal neurons by ash1,” Molecular Vision, vol. 14, pp. 2309–2320, 2008.
- M. Kokkinaki, N. Sahibzada, and N. Golestaneh, “Human induced pluripotent stem-derived retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) cells exhibit ion transport, membrane potential, polarized vascular endothelial growth factor secretion, and gene expression pattern similar to native RPE,” Stem Cells, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 825–835, 2011.
- E. Salero, T. A. Blenkinsop, B. Corneo et al., “Adult human RPE can be activated into a multipotent stem cell that produces mesenchymal derivatives,” Cell Stem Cell, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 88–95, 2012.
- J. M. Weimann, C. A. Charlton, T. R. Brazelton, R. C. Hackman, and H. M. Blau, “Contribution of transplanted bone marrow cells to Purkinje neurons in human adult brains,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 2088–2093, 2003.
- F. Locatelli, S. Corti, C. Donadoni et al., “Neuronal differentiation of murine bone marrow Thy-1- and Sca-1-positive cells,” Journal of Hematotherapy and Stem Cell Research, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 727–734, 2003.
- J. Sanchez-Ramos, S. Song, F. Cardozo-Pelaez et al., “Adult bone marrow stromal cells differentiate into neural cells in vitro,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 164, no. 2, pp. 247–256, 2000.
- S. Bonilla, A. Silva, L. Valdés, E. Geijo, J. M. García-Verdugo, and S. Martínez, “Functional neural stem cells derived from adult bone marrow,” Neuroscience, vol. 133, no. 1, pp. 85–95, 2005.
- O. E. Sigurjonsson, M. C. Perreault, T. Egeland, and J. C. Glover, “Adult human hematopoietic stem cells produce neurons efficiently in the regenerating chicken embryo spinal cord,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 14, pp. 5227–5232, 2005.
- T. Chan-Ling, L. Baxter, A. Afzal et al., “Hematopoietic stem cells provide repair functions after laser-induced Bruch's membrane rupture model of choroidal neovascularization,” The American Journal of Pathology, vol. 168, no. 3, pp. 1031–1044, 2006.
- G. A. Moviglia, N. Blasetti, J. O. Zarate, and D. E. Pelayes, “In vitro differentiation of adult adipose mesenchymal stem cells into retinal progenitor cells,” Ophthalmic Research, vol. 48, supplement 1, pp. 1–5, 2012.
- M. Chen, Q. Chen, X. Sun et al., “Generation of retinal ganglion-like cells from reprogrammed mouse fibroblasts,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 51, no. 11, pp. 5970–5978, 2010.
- B. A. Tucker, I. H. Park, S. D. Qi et al., “Transplantation of adult mouse iPS cell-derived photoreceptor precursors restores retinal structure and function in degenerative mice,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 4, article e18992, 2011.
- T. Zhao, Z. N. Zhang, Z. Rong, and Y. Xu, “Immunogenicity of induced pluripotent stem cells,” Nature, vol. 474, no. 7350, pp. 212–216, 2011.
- M. Tendera and W. Wojakowski, “Clinical trials using autologous bone marrow and peripheral blood-derived progenitor cells in patients with acute myocardial infarction,” Folia Histochemica et Cytobiologica, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 233–235, 2005.
- S. Terai, T. Ishikawa, K. Omori et al., “Improved liver function in patients with liver cirrhosis after autologous bone marrow cell infusion therapy,” Stem Cells, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 2292–2298, 2006.
- L. F. Geffner, P. Santacruz, M. Izurieta et al., “Administration of autologous bone marrow stem cells into spinal cord injury patients via multiple routes is safe and improves their quality of life: comprehensive case studies,” Cell Transplantation, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1277–1293, 2008.
- C. Kasemkijwattana, S. Hongeng, S. Kesprayura, V. Rungsinaporn, K. Chaipinyo, and K. Chansiri, “Autologous bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells implantation for cartilage defects: two cases report,” Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 395–400, 2011.
- D. Chanda, S. Kumar, and S. Ponnazhagan, “Therapeutic potential of adult bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells in diseases of the skeleton,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 249–257, 2010.