- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 517032, 5 pages
Long-Term Followup Comparing Two Treatment Dosing Strategies of 125I Plaque Radiotherapy in the Management of Small/Medium Posterior Uveal Melanoma
1Murray Ocular Oncology and Retina Practice, 6705 Red Road, Suite 412, Miami, FL 33143, USA
2Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA
Received 7 December 2012; Revised 6 February 2013; Accepted 6 February 2013
Academic Editor: David A. Wilkie
Copyright © 2013 Timothy G. Murray et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. Seddon, K. M. Egan, E. S. Gragoudas, and R. J. Glynn, “Epidemiology of uveal melanoma,” in Retina, S. J. Ryan, Ed., pp. 639–646, CV Mosby, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 1989.
- K. M. Egan, J. M. Seddon, R. J. Glynn, E. S. Gragoudas, and D. M. Albert, “Epidemiologic aspects of uveal melanoma,” Survey of Ophthalmology, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 239–251, 1988.
- S. Packer, “Iodine-125 radiation of posterior uveal melanoma,” Ophthalmology, vol. 94, no. 12, pp. 1621–1625, 1987.
- S. Packer, S. Stoller, M. L. Lesser, F. S. Mandel, P. T. Finger, and D. M. Robertson, “Long-term results of 125I irradiation of uveal melanoma,” Ophthalmology, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 767–774, 1992.
- J. Fontanesi, D. Meyer, S. Xu, and D. Tai, “Treatment of choroidal melanoma with 125I plaque,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 619–623, 1993.
- B. R. Garretson, D. M. Robertson, and J. D. Earle, “Choroidal malanoma treatment with 125I brachytherapy,” Ophthalmology, vol. 105, no. 10, pp. 1394–1397, 1987.
- J. Heikkonen, P. Summanen, I. Immonen et al., “Radiotherapy of malignant melanoma of the uvea with 125I seeds,” Acta Ophthalmologica, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 780–785, 1992.
- J. J. Augsburger, Z. M. Corrêa, J. Freire, and L. W. Brady, “Long-term survival in choroidal and ciliary body melanoma after enucleation versus plaque radiation therapy,” Ophthalmology, vol. 105, no. 9, pp. 1670–1678, 1998.
- K. S. Adams, D. H. Abramson, R. M. Ellsworth et al., “Cobalt plaque versus enucleation for uveal melanoma: comparison of survival rates,” The British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 72, no. 7, pp. 494–497, 1988.
- P. A. Macfaul and M. A. Bedford, “Ocular complications after therapeutic irradiation,” The British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 237–247, 1970.
- P. T. Finger, “Radiation therapy for choroidal melanoma,” Survey of Ophthalmology, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 215–232, 1997.
- N. V. Shah, S. K. Houston, A. M. Markoe, W. Feuer, and T. G. Murray, “Early SD-OCT diagnosis followed by prompt treatment of radiation maculopathy using intravitreal bevacizumab maintains functional visual acuity,” Clinical Ophthalmology, vol. 6, pp. 1739–1748, 2012.
- L. Sobrin, J. C. Schiffman, A. M. Markoe, and T. G. Murray, “Outcomes of iodine 125 plaque radiotherapy after initial observation of suspected small choroidal melanomas: a pilot study,” Ophthalmology, vol. 112, no. 10, pp. 1777–1783, 2005.
- J. J. Beitler, B. McCormick, R. M. Ellsworth, D. H. Abramsom, L. L. Anderson, and C. Loffredo, “Ocular melanoma: total dose and dose rate effects with 60Co plaque therapy,” Radiology, vol. 176, no. 1, pp. 275–278, 1990.
- J. Fontanesi, D. Meyer, D. L. Tai, et al., “. Effect of dose rate on local control and complications in ocular melanomas treated with high intensity 125I plaques,” Endocurie, Hypertherm, Oncology, vol. 5, article 249, 1989.
- J. Earle, R. W. Kline, and D. M. Robertson, “Selection of iodine 125 for the collaborative ocular melanoma study,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 105, no. 6, pp. 763–764, 1987.
- M. Diener-West, B. S. Hawkins, S. L. Fine, J. D. Earle, B. R. Straatsma, and R. L. Mowery, “Design and methods of a clinical trial for a rare condition: the collaborative ocular melanoma study. COMS report no. 3,” Controlled Clinical Trials, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 362–391, 1993.
- K. R. Trott, “The optimal radiation dose per fraction for the treatment of malignant melanomas,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 905–907, 1991.
- J. W. Harbour, T. G. Murray, S. F. Byrne et al., “Intraoperative echographic localization of iodine 125 episcleral radioactive plaques for posterior uveal melanoma,” Retina, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 129–134, 1996.
- N. V. Shah, S. K. Houston, T. G. Murray, and A. M. Markoe, “Evaluation of the surgical learning curve for I-125 episcleral plaque placement for the treatment of posterior uveal melanoma: a two decade review,” Journal of Clinical Ophthalmology, vol. 6, pp. 447–452, 2012.
- H. Tabandeh, N. A. Chaudhry, T. G. Murray et al., “Intraoperative echographic localization of iodine-125 episcleral plaque for brachytherapy of choroidal melanoma,” The American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 129, no. 2, pp. 199–204, 2000.
- D. H. Char, J. M. Quivey, J. R. Castro, S. Kroll, and T. Phillips, “Helium ions versus iodine 125 brachytherapy in the management of uveal melanoma: a prospective, randomized, dynamically balanced trial,” Ophthalmology, vol. 100, no. 10, pp. 1547–1554, 1993.
- P. K. Lommatzsch and I. H. Kirsch, “106Ru/106Rh plaque radiotherapy for malignant melanomas of the choroid. With follow-up results more than 5 years,” Documenta Ophthalmologica, vol. 68, no. 3-4, pp. 225–238, 1988.
- J. I. Hui and T. G. Murray, “Radioactive plaque therapy,” International Ophthalmology Clinics, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 51–68, 2006.
- P. Jefferies, R. S. Clemett, and J. R. Turner, “Radiation hazards during 60Co plaque therapy for choroidal melanoma,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 37–41, 1993.
- R. A. Steeves, T. G. Murray, E. G. Moros, H. C. Boldt, W. F. Mieler, and B. R. Paliwal, “Concurrent ferromagnetic hyperthermia and 125I brachytherapy in a rabbit choroidal melanoma model,” International Journal of Hyperthermia, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 443–449, 1992.
- P. T. Finger, “Microwave plaque thermoradiotherapy for choroidal melanoma,” The British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 358–364, 1992.
- M. Astrahan, P. Liggett, Z. Petrovich, and G. Luxton, “A 500 KHz localized current field hyperthermia system for use with ophthalmic plaque radiotherapy,” International Journal of Hyperthermia, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 423–432, 1987.
- R. A. Steeves, D. T. Tompkins, R. N. Nash et al., “Thermoradiotherapy of intraocular tumors in an animal model: concurrent versus sequential brachytherapy and ferromagnetic hyperthermia,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 659–662, 1995.
- P. S. Swift, P. R. Stauffer, P. D. Fries et al., “Microwave hyperthermia for choroidal melanoma in rabbits,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 1754–1760, 1990.