- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 612708, 7 pages
Surgical Management in Primary Congenital Glaucoma: Four Debates
Department of Ophthalmology, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Received 28 February 2013; Accepted 21 April 2013
Academic Editor: Huseyin Gursoy
Copyright © 2013 Ta C. Chang and Kara M. Cavuoto. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Mandal and D. Chakrabarti, “Update on congenital glaucoma,” Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 59, no. 1, supplement, pp. S148–S157, 2011.
- A. O. Khan, “Genetics of primary glaucoma,” Current Opinion in Ophthalmology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 347–355, 2011.
- T. C. Chang, C. G. Summers, L. A. Schimmenti, and A. L. Grajewsk, “Axenfeld-Rieger syndrome: new perspectives,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 318–322, 2012.
- M. L. Becker, N. Huntington, and A. D. Woolf, “Brimonidine tartrate poisoning in children: frequency, trends, and use of naloxone as an antidote,” Pediatrics, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. e305–e311, 2009.
- W. P. Boger and D. S. Walton, “Timolol in uncontrolled childhood glaucomas,” Ophthalmology, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 253–258, 1981.
- C. D. McMahon, J. Hetherington Jr., H. D. Hoskins Jr., and R. N. Shaffer, “Timolol and pediatric glaucomas,” Ophthalmology, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 249–252, 1981.
- H. Dunbar Hoskins Jr., J. Hetherington Jr., and S. D. Magee, “Clinical experience with timolol in childhood glaucoma,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 103, no. 8, pp. 1163–1165, 1985.
- L. B. Enyedi, S. F. Freedman, and E. G. Buckley, “The effectiveness of latanoprost for the treatment of pediatric glaucoma,” Journal of American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 33–39, 1999.
- Y. Ou and J. Caprioli, “Surgical management of pediatric glaucoma,” Developments in Ophthalmology, vol. 50, pp. 157–172, 2012.
- R. Smith, “A new technique for opening the canal of Schlemm. Preliminary report,” The British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 44, pp. 370–373, 1960.
- L. Allen and H. M. Burian, “Trabeculotomy ab externo. A new glaucoma operation: technique and results of experimental surgery,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 19–26, 1962.
- H. D. Hoskins Jr., R. N. Shaffer, and J. Hetherington, “Goniotomy versus trabeculotomy,” Journal of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 153–158, 1984.
- M. E. Mendicino, M. G. Lynch, A. Drack et al., “Long-term surgical and visual outcomes in primary congenital glaucoma: 360° trabeculotomy versus goniotomy,” Journal of American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 205–210, 2000.
- R. Smith, “Nylon filament trabeculotomy in glaucoma,” Transactions of the Ophthalmological Societies of the United Kingdom, vol. 82, pp. 439–454, 1962.
- A. D. Beck and M. G. Lynch, “360° trabeculotomy for primary congenital glaucoma,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 113, no. 9, pp. 1200–1202, 1995.
- S. R. Sarkisian Jr., “An illuminated microcatheter for 360-degree trabeculectomy in congenital glaucoma: a retrospective case series,” Journal of American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 412–416, 2010.
- T. S. Dietlein, P. C. Jacobi, and G. K. Krieglstein, “Prognosis of primary ab externo surgery for primary congenital glaucoma,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 317–322, 1999.
- A. Filouš and B. Brunová, “Results of the modified trabeculotomy in the treatment of primary congenital glaucoma,” Journal of American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 182–186, 2002.
- G. R. Beauchamp and M. M. Parks, “Filtering surgery in children: barriers to success,” Ophthalmology, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 170–180, 1979.
- T. Fulcher, J. Chan, B. Lanigan, R. Bowell, and M. O'Keefe, “Long term follow up of primary trabeculectomy for infantile glaucoma,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 80, no. 6, pp. 499–502, 1996.
- A. Al-Hazmi, J. Zwaan, A. Awad, S. Al-Mesfer, P. B. Mullaney, and D. T. Wheeler, “Effectiveness and complications of mitomycin C use during pediatric glaucoma surgery,” Ophthalmology, vol. 105, no. 10, pp. 1915–1920, 1998.
- P. A. Sidoti, S. J. Belmonte, J. M. Liebmann, and R. Ritch, “Trabeculectomy with mitomycin-C in the treatment of pediatric glaucomas,” Ophthalmology, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 422–429, 2000.
- A. M. Rodrigues, A. Paranhos Jr., F. T. Montezano, P. A. De Arruda Melo, and J. Prata Jr., “Comparison between results of trabeculectomy in primary congenital glaucoma with and without the use of mitomycin C,” Journal of Glaucoma, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 228–232, 2004.
- H. C. Agarwal, N. N. Sood, R. Sihota, L. Sanga, and S. G. Honavar, “Mitomycin-C in congenital glaucoma,” Ophthalmic Surgery and Lasers, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 979–985, 1997.
- P. A. Netland and D. S. Walton, “Glaucoma drainage implants in pediatric patients,” Ophthalmic Surgery, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 723–729, 1993.
- A. D. Beck, S. Freedman, J. Kammer, and J. Jin, “Aqueous shunt devices compared with trabeculectomy with mitomycin-C for children in the first two years of life,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 136, no. 6, pp. 994–1000, 2003.
- M. Pakravan, N. Homayoon, Y. Shahin, and B. R. Ali Reza, “Trabeculectomy with mitomycin C versus ahmed glaucoma implant with mitomycin C for treatment of pediatric aphakic glaucoma,” Journal of Glaucoma, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 631–636, 2007.
- K. Ishida, A. K. Mandal, and P. A. Netland, “Glaucoma drainage implants in pediatric patients,” Ophthalmology Clinics of North America, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 431–442, 2005.
- Y. Morad, C. E. Donaldson, Y. M. Kim, M. Abdolell, and A. V. Levin, “The Ahmed drainage implant in the treatment of pediatric glaucoma,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 135, no. 6, pp. 821–829, 2003.
- T. E. Eid, L. J. Katz, G. L. Spaeth, and J. J. Augsburger, “Long-term effects of tube-shunt procedures on management of refractory childhood glaucoma,” Ophthalmology, vol. 104, no. 6, pp. 1011–1016, 1997.
- M. R. Djodeyre, J. Peralta Calvo, and J. Abelairas Gomez, “Clinical evaluation and risk factors of time to failure of Ahmed Glaucoma Valve implant in pediatric patients,” Ophthalmology, vol. 108, no. 3, pp. 614–620, 2001.
- P. B. Mullaney, C. Selleck, A. Al-Awad, S. Al-Mesfer, and J. Zwaan, “Combined trabeculotomy and trabeculectomy as an initial procedure in uncomplicated congenital glaucoma,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 457–460, 1999.
- S. A. Al-Obeidan, E. E. Osman, A. S. Dewedar, P. Kestelyn, and A. Mousa, “Efficacy and safety of deep sclerectomy in childhood glaucoma in Saudi Arabia,” Acta Ophthalmologica, 2012.
- R. Stegmann, A. Pienaar, and D. Miller, “Viscocanalostomy for open-angle glaucoma in black African patients,” Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 316–322, 1999.
- B. N. Noureddin, C. P. El-Haibi, A. Cheikha, and Z. F. Bashshur, “Viscocanalostomy versus trabeculotomy ab externo in primary congenital glaucoma: 1-year follow-up of a prospective controlled pilot study,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 90, no. 10, pp. 1281–1285, 2006.
- J. S. Kay, R. Mitchell, and J. Miller, “Dilation and probing of Schlemm's canal and viscocanalostomy in pediatric glaucoma,” Journal of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 30–37, 2011.