- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 784172, 4 pages
Intraocular Microsurgical Forceps (20, 23, and 25 gauge) Membrane Peeling Forces Assessment
1Department of Ophthalmology, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Rocky Mountain Lions Eye Institute, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
2Department of Ophthalmology, Denver Health Medical Center, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO 80204, USA
Received 8 April 2013; Accepted 10 June 2013
Academic Editor: Michel Eid Farah
Copyright © 2013 Raul Velez-Montoya et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Balicki, A. Uneri, I. Iordachita, J. Handa, P. Gehlbach, and R. Taylor, “Micro-force sensing in robot assisted membrane peeling for vitreoretinal surgery,” in Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention, vol. 6363 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 303–310, 2010.
- B. A. E. Mazinani, A. Rajendram, P. Walter, and G. F. Roessler, “Does surgical experience have an effect on the success of retinal detachment surgery?” Retina, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 32–37, 2012.
- B. Gonenc, M. A. Balicki, J. Handa, et al., “Evaluation of a micro-force sensing handheld robot for vitreoretinal surgery,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS '12), pp. 4125–4130, Vilamoura-Algarve, Portugal, October 2012.
- J.-P. Hubschman, J.-L. Bourges, W. Choi et al., “The microhand: a new concept of micro-forceps for ocular robotic surgery,” Eye, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 364–367, 2010.
- T. L. Jackson, P. H. Donachie, J. M. Sparrow, and R. L. Johnston, “United Kingdom National Ophthalmology Database Study of Vitreoretinal Surgery: report 2, macular hole,” Ophthalmology, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 629–634, 2013.
- A. Ang, D. R. J. Snead, S. James et al., “A rationale for membrane peeling in the repair of stage 4 macular holes,” Eye, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 208–214, 2006.
- S. Kusuhara, S. Ooto, D. Kimura et al., “Outcomes of 23- and 25-gauge transconjunctival sutureless vitrectomies for idiopathic macular holes,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 92, no. 9, pp. 1261–1264, 2008.
- R. B. Bhisitkul and C. G. Keller, “Development of microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) forceps for intraocular surgery,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 89, no. 12, pp. 1586–1588, 2005.
- K. Ikuta, T. Kato, and S. Nagata, “Development of micro-active forceps for future microsurgery,” Minimally Invasive Therapy and Allied Technologies, vol. 10, no. 4-5, pp. 209–213, 2001.
- P. J. Ferrone and K. M. Chaudhary, “Macular epiretinal membrane peeling treatment outcomes in young children,” Retina, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 530–536, 2012.
- I. U. Scott, H. W. Flynn Jr., N. Acar et al., “Incidence of endophthalmitis after 20-gauge vs 23-gauge vs 25-gauge pars plana vitrectomy,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 249, no. 3, pp. 377–380, 2011.
- A. Haas, G. Seidel, I. Steinbrugger et al., “Twenty-three-gauge and 20-gauge vitrectomy in epiretinal membrane surgery,” Retina, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 112–116, 2010.
- B. J. Ernst, R. Velez-Montoya, D. Kujundzic, E. Kujundzic, and J. L. Olson, “Experimental measure of retinal impact force resulting from intraocular foreign body dropped onto retina through media of differing viscosity,” Clinical & Experimental Ophthalmology, 2012.
- M. Kita and M. F. Marmor, “Retinal adhesive force in living rabbit, cat, and monkey eyes: normative data and enhancement by mannitol and acetazolamide,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 1879–1882, 1992.
- A. S. Jagtap and C. N. Riviere, “Applied force during vitreoretinal microsurgery with handheld instruments,” in Proceedings of the 26th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC '04), pp. 2771–2773, San Francisco, Calif, USA, September 2004.
- S. Sunshine, M. Balicki, X. He, et al., “A force-sensing microsurgical instrument that detects forces below human tactile sensation,” Retina, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 200–206, 2013.
- I. Kuru, B. Gonenc, M. Balicki, et al., “Force sensing micro-forceps for robot assisted retinal surgery,” in Proceedings of the 34th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC '12), pp. 1401–1404, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2012.