- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 863498, 5 pages
Effect of Pterygium Surgery on Tear Osmolarity
1Department of Ophthalmology, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan University Medical School, 53100 Rize, Turkey
2Department of Ophthalmology, Haydarpasa Numune Research and Education Hospital, 34668 Istanbul, Turkey
3Maya Eye Hospital, 38039 Kayseri, Turkey
Received 7 November 2012; Accepted 10 January 2013
Academic Editor: Andrew G. Lee
Copyright © 2013 Kemal Türkyılmaz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. M. Mutlu, G. Sobaci, T. Tatar, and E. Yildirim, “A comparative study of recurrent pterygium surgery: limbal conjunctival autograft transplantation versus mitomycin C with conjunctival flap,” Ophthalmology, vol. 106, no. 4, pp. 817–821, 1999.
- F. D. Mackenzie, L. W. Hirst, D. Battistutta, and A. Green, “Risk analysis in the development of pterygia,” Ophthalmology, vol. 99, no. 7, pp. 1056–1061, 1992.
- J. C. Hill and R. Maske, “Pathogenesis of pterygium,” Eye, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 218–226, 1989.
- J. D. Zhang, “An investigation of aetiology and heredity of pterygium. Report of 11 cases in a family,” Acta Ophthalmologica, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 413–416, 1987.
- L. Goldberg and R. David, “Pterygium and its relationship to the dry eye in the Bantu,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 60, no. 10, pp. 720–721, 1976.
- R. Young, “The family of sunlight-related eye diseases,” Optometry & Vision Science, vol. 71, pp. 125–144, 1994.
- G. Singh, M. R. Wilson, and C. S. Foster, “Long-term follow-up study of mitomycin eye drops as adjunctive treatment for pterygia and its comparison with conjunctival autograft transplantation,” Cornea, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 331–334, 1990.
- M. Ishioka, S. Shimmura, Y. Yagi, and K. Tsubota, “Ptyerygium and dry eye,” Ophthalmologica, vol. 215, no. 3, pp. 209–211, 2001.
- S. C. Kadayifcilar, M. Orhan, and M. Irkec, “Tear functions in patients with pterygium,” Acta Ophthalmologica Scandinavica, vol. 76, pp. 176–179, 1998.
- M. Li, M. Zhang, Y. Lin et al., “Tear function and goblet cell density after pterygium excision,” Eye, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 224–228, 2007.
- S. Wang, B. Jiang, and Y. Gu, “Changes of tear film function after pterygium operation,” Ophthalmic Research, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 210–215, 2011.
- S. Srinivasan and K. K. Nichols, “Collecting tear osmolarity measurements in the diagnosis of dry eye,” Expert Review of Ophthalmology, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 451–453, 2009.
- W. D. Mathers, “Why the eye becomes dry: a cornea and lacrimal gland feedback model,” CLAO Journal, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 159–165, 2000.
- M. A. Lemp, A. J. Bron, C. Baudouin et al., “Tear osmolarity in the diagnosis and management of dry eye disease,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 151, no. 5, pp. 792–798, 2011.
- M. A. Lemp, C. Baudouin, J. Baum et al., “The definition and classification of dry eye disease: Report of the definition and classification subcommittee of the international Dry Eye WorkShop (2007),” Ocular Surface, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 75–92, 2007.
- H. Brewitt and F. Sistani, “Dry eye disease: The scale of the problem,” Survey of Ophthalmology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. S199–S202, 2001.
- M. Marzęta and J. Toczołowski, “Investigation of mucin layer of tear film in patients with pterygium,” Klinika Oczna, vol. 105, no. 1-2, pp. 60–62, 2003.
- B. Biedner, Y. Biger, L. Rothkoff, and U. Sachs, “Pterygium and basic tear secretion,” Annals of Ophthalmology, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 1235–1236, 1979.
- A. Kiliç and B. Gürler, “Effect of pterygium excision by limbal conjunctival auotografting on tear function tests,” Annals of Ophthalmology, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 235–238, 2006.
- N. Di Girolamo, J. Chui, M. T. Coroneo, and D. Wakefield, “Pathogenesis of pterygia: Role of cytokines, growth factors, and matrix metalloproteinases,” Progress in Retinal and Eye Research, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 195–228, 2004.
- D. Q. Li, S. B. Lee, Z. Gunja-Smith et al., “Overexpression of collagenase (MMP-1) and stromelysin (MMP-3) by pterygium head fibroblasts,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 71–80, 2001.
- E. T. Detorakis, A. Zaravinos, and D. A. Spandidos, “Growth factor expression in ophthalmic pterygia and normal conjunctiva,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 513–516, 2010.
- D. Q. Li, Z. Chen, X. J. Song, L. Luo, and S. C. Pflugfelder, “Stimulation of matrix metalloproteinases by hyperosmolarity via a JNK pathway in human corneal epithelial cells,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 4302–4311, 2004.
- A. Tomlinson, L. C. McCann, and E. I. Pearce, “Comparison of human tear film osmolarity measured by electrical impedance and freezing point depression techniques,” Cornea, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1036–1041, 2010.
- J. D. Nelson and J. C. Wright, “Tear film osmolality determination: An evaluation of potential errors in measurement,” Current Eye Research, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 677–681, 1986.
- J. P. Gilbard, R. L. Farris, and J. Santamaria, “Osmolarity of tear microvolumes in keratoconjunctivitis sicca,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 677–681, 1978.
- K. Zheng, J. Cai, V. Jhanji, and H. Chen, “Comparison of pterygium recurrence rates after limbal conjunctival autograft transplantation and other techniques: meta-analysis,” Cornea, vol. 31, pp. 1422–1427, 2012.
- R. J. W. Keizer, “Pterygium excision with or without postoperative irradiation: a double blind study,” Documenta Ophthalmologica, vol. 52, pp. 309–315, 1982.
- G. Singh, M. R. Wilson, and C. S. Foster, “Mitomycin eye drops as treatment for pterygium,” Ophthalmology, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 813–821, 1988.
- A. Sebban and L. W. Hirst, “Pterygium recurrence rate at the Princess Alexandra Hospital,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 203–206, 1991.
- P. P. Chen, R. G. Ariyasu, V. Kaza, L. D. LaBree, and P. J. McDonnell, “Randomized trial comparing mitomycin C and conjunctival autograft after excision of primary pterygium,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 120, no. 2, pp. 151–160, 1995.