- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 908017, 6 pages
Flash Electroretinography and Pattern Visual Evoked Potential Changes in Ocular Hypertension Patients
1Kemalpaşa State Hospital, Clinic of Ophthalmology, 35730 Izmir, Turkey
2Beyoğlu Eye Training and Research Hospital, 34421 Istanbul, Turkey
3Salihli State Hospital, Clinic of Ophthalmology, 45310 Manisa, Turkey
Received 10 February 2013; Accepted 12 April 2013
Academic Editor: Huseyin Gursoy
Copyright © 2013 Ercüment Çavdar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Flammer and S. Orgül, “Optic nerve blood-flow abnormalities in glaucoma,” Progress in Retinal and Eye Research, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 267–289, 1998.
- S. Drange, D. R. Anderson, and M. Schulzer, “Risk factors for progression of visual field abnormalities in normal-tension glaucoma,” The American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 131, no. 6, pp. 699–708, 2001.
- A. Sawada, Y. Kitazawa, T. Yamamoto, I. Okabe, and K. Ichien, “Prevention of visual field defect progression with brovincamine in eyes with normal-tension glaucoma,” Ophthalmology, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 283–288, 1996.
- T. P. Zanto, P. Pan, H. Liu, J. Bollinger, A. C. Nobre, and A. Gazzaley, “Age-related changes in orienting attention in time,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 31, no. 35, pp. 12461–12470, 2011.
- M. F. Marmor and E. Zrenner, “Standard for clinical electroretinography (1999 update),” Documenta Ophthalmologica, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 143–156, 1998.
- Y. Shirao, T. Okumura, T. Ohta, and T. Kawasaki, “Clinical importance of electroretinographic oscillatory potentials in early detection and objective evaluation for diabetic retinopathy,” Clinical Vision Sciences, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 445–450, 1991.
- S. W. Wang, X. Mu, W. J. Bowers, and W. H. Klein, “Retinal ganglion cell differentiation in cultured mouse retinal explants,” Methods, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 448–456, 2002.
- S. Viswanathan, L. J. Frishman, J. G. Robson, R. S. Harwerth, and E. L. Smith, “The photopic negative response of the macaque electroretinogram: reduction by experimental glaucoma,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1124–1136, 1999.
- S. Viswanathan, L. J. Frishman, and J. G. Robson, “The uniform field and pattern ERG in macaques with experimental glaucoma: removal of spiking activity,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 2797–2810, 2000.
- R. S. Harwerth, L. Carter-Dawson, F. Shen, E. L. Smith, and M. L. J. Crawford, “Ganglion cell losses underlying visual field defects from experimental glaucoma,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 2242–2250, 1999.
- A. Hashiba, A. Tabuchi, E. Matsuda, and W. Yamaguchi, “Visual acuity measured by pattern visual evoked potential,” Journal of Japanese Ophthalmological Society, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 644–647, 1997.
- J. V. Odom, M. Bach, C. Barber et al., “Visual evoked potentials standard,” Documenta Ophthalmologica, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 115–123, 2004.
- M. C. Leske, “The epidemiology of open-angle glaucoma: a review,” The American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 166–191, 1983.
- M. Bach and M. B. Hoffmann, “Update on the pattern electroretinogram in glaucoma,” Optometry and Vision Science, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 386–395, 2008.
- Y. H. Aldebasi, N. Drasdo, J. E. Morgan, and R. V. North, “S-cone, L + M-cone, and pattern, electroretinograms in ocular hypertension and glaucoma,” Vision Research, vol. 44, no. 24, pp. 2749–2756, 2004.
- E. N. Yamasaki, B. L. S. Andrade da Costa, V. D. Barbosa, and J. N. Hokoç, “Retinal ganglion cell depletion alters the phenotypic expression of GABA and GAD in the rat retina,” The European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 1885–1890, 1997.
- J. G. Malpeli and F. H. Baker, “The representation of the visual field in the lateral geniculate nucleus of Macaca mulatta,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 161, no. 4, pp. 569–594, 1975.
- M. Connolly and D. van Essen, “The representation of the visual field in parvicellular and magnocellular layers of the lateral geniculate nucleus in the macaque monkey,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 226, no. 4, pp. 544–564, 1984.
- M. G. Brigell, “The visual evoked potential,” in Electrophysiologic Testing in Disorders of the Retina, Optic Nerve and Visual Pathway, G. A. Fishman, D. G. Birch, G. E. Holder, and M. G. Brigell, Eds., pp. 237–279, The Foundation of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, San Fransisco, Calif, USA, 2nd edition, 2001.
- Y. Lan, J. Ge, and Y. Liu, “The significance of combination of electrophysiology and automated perimetry tests on the early diagnosis of primary open angle glaucoma,” Yan Ke Xue Bao, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 199–235, 1998.
- H. Nykanen and C. Raitta, “The correlation of visual evoked potentials (VEP) and visual field indices (Octopus G1) in glaucoma and ocular hypertension,” Acta Ophthalmologica, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 393–395, 1989.
- H. Kolb, “The neural organization of the human retina,” in Principles and Practice of Clinical Electrophysiology and Vision, J. R. Heckenlively and G. B. Arden, Eds., pp. 25–52, Mosby Year Book, St Louis, Mo, USA, 1991.
- C. Karwoski, “Introduction to the origins of electroretinographic components,” in Principles and Practice of Clinical Electrophysiology and Vision, J. R. Heckenlively and G. B. Arden, Eds., pp. 87–90, Mosby Year Book, St Louis, Mo, USA, 1991.
- A. U. Bayer, J. Danias, S. Brodie et al., “Electroretinographic abnormalities in a rat glaucoma model with chronic elevated intraocular pressure,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 667–677, 2001.
- L. J. Frishman, F. F. Shen, L. Du et al., “The scotopic electroretinogram of macaque after retinal ganglion cell loss from experimental glaucoma,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 125–141, 1996.
- B. C. Chauhan, J. Pan, M. L. Archibald, T. L. LeVatte, M. E. M. Kelly, and F. Tremblay, “Effect of intraocular pressure on optic disc topography, electroretinography, and axonal loss in a chronic pressure-induced rat model of optic nerve damage,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 2969–2976, 2002.
- L. J. Frishman and R. H. Steinberg, “Light-evoked increases in [K+]o in proximal portion of the dark-adapted cat retina,” Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 1233–1243, 1989.
- N. V. Rangaswamy, S. Shirato, M. Kaneko, B. I. Digby, J. G. Robson, and L. J. Frishman, “Effects of spectral characteristics of ganzfeld stimuli on the photopic negative response (PhNR) of the ERG,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 4818–4828, 2007.
- N. Drasdo, Y. H. Aldebasi, Z. Chiti, K. E. Mortlock, J. E. Morgan, and R. V. North, “The S-cone PhNR and pattern ERG in primary open angle glaucoma,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1266–1272, 2001.
- A. Colotto, B. Falsini, T. Salgarello, G. Iarossi, M. E. Galan, and L. Scullica, “Photopic negative response of the human ERG: losses associated with glaucomatous damage,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 2205–2211, 2000.
- M. Korth, N. X. Nguyen, A. Junemann, and J. W. Walters, “VEP test of the blue-sensitive pathway in glaucoma,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 2599–2610, 1994.
- S. Machida, T. Kunifusa, Y. Gotoh, T. Nishimura, M. Kaneko, and D. Kurosaka, “Comparison of photopic negative response of full-field and focal electroretinograms in detecting glaucomatous eyes,” Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 2011, Article ID 564131, 11 pages, 2011.
- E. R. Buchi, “Cell death in rat retina after pressure-induced ischaemia-reperfusion insult: electron microscopic study II. Outer nuclear layer,” The Japanese Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 62–68, 1992.
- S. Machida, Y. Gotoh, Y. Toba, A. Ohtaki, M. Kaneko, and D. Kurosaka, “Correlation between photopic negative response and retinal nerve fiber layer thickness and optic disc topography in glaucomatous eyes,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 2201–2207, 2008.
- L. Wachtmeister, “Oscillatory potentials in the retina: what do they reveal,” Progress in Retinal and Eye Research, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 485–521, 1998.
- R. V. North, A. L. Jones, N. Drasdo, J. M. Wild, and J. E. Morgan, “Electrophysiological evidence of early functional damage in glaucoma and ocular hypertension,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 1216–1222, 2010.
- M. Nebbioso, F. D. Gregorio, L. Prencipe, and I. Pecorella, “Psychophysical and electrophysiological testing in ocular hypertension,” Optometry and Vision Science, vol. 88, no. 8, pp. 928–939, 2011.