- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Osteoporosis
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 729219, 8 pages
Osteoporosis Knowledge, Self-Efficacy, and Beliefs among College Students in the USA and China
1Bone Density Laboratory, The University of Mississippi, 222 Turner Center, Oxford, MS 38677, USA
2Medical-Surgical Department, School of Nursing, Tianjin Medical University, 22 Qi Xiang Tai Road, He Ping District, P.O. Box 300070, Tianjin, China
Received 16 December 2010; Revised 8 February 2011; Accepted 23 February 2011
Academic Editor: Robert Yood
Copyright © 2011 M. Allison Ford et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- International Osteoporosis Foundation, 2010, http://www.iofbonehealth.org/facts-and-statistics.html.
- NOF. America's bone health: the state of osteoporosis and low bone mass in our nation, 2002.
- E. L. Schneider and J. M. Guralnik, “The aging of America. Impact on health care costs,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 263, no. 17, pp. 2335–2340, 1990.
- O. Johnell and J. A. Kanis, “An estimate of the worldwide prevalence and disability associated with osteoporotic fractures,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1726–1733, 2006.
- B. Gullberg, O. Johnell, and J. A. Kanis, “World-wide projections for hip fracture,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 407–413, 1997.
- M. J. Kasper, M. G. E. Peterson, and J. P. Allegrante, “The need for comprehensive educational osteoporosis prevention programs for young women: results from a second osteoporosis prevention survey,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 28–34, 2001.
- M. A. Ford, M. A. Bass, and R. Keathley, “Osteoporosis knowledge and attitudes: a cross-sectional study among college-age students,” Journal of American College Health, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 43–47, 2007.
- M. O. Doheny, C. A. Sedlak, P. J. Estok, and R. Zeller, “Osteoporosis knowledge, health beliefs, and DXA T-scores in men and women 50 years of age and older,” Orthopaedic Nursing, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 243–250, 2007.
- C. A. Sedlak, M. O. Doheny, P. J. Estok, R. A. Zeller, and J. Winchell, “DXA, health beliefs, and osteoporosis prevention behaviors,” Journal of Aging and Health, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 742–756, 2007.
- T. P. Ip, C. L. K. Lam, and A. W. C. Kung, “Awareness of osteoporosis among physicians in China,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 329–334, 2004.
- S. C. Ho, Y. M. Chen, and J. L. F. Woo, “Educational level and osteoporosis risk in postmenopausal Chinese women,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 161, no. 7, pp. 680–690, 2005.
- K. K. Kim, M. L. Horan, P. Gendler, and M. K. Patel, “Development and evaluation of the Osteoporosis Health Belief Scale,” Research in Nursing & Health, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 155–163, 1991.
- P. M. Insel and W. T. Roth, Core Concepts in Health, McGraw Hill, Boston Mass, USA, 111 edition, 2010.
- D. Wild, A. Grove, M. Martin et al., “Principles of good practice for the translation and cultural adaptation process for patient-reported outcomes (PRO) measures: report of the ISPOR Task Force for Translation and Cultural Adaptation,” Value in Health, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 94–104, 2005.
- Y. P. Chen, X. Q. Liu, and D. H. Cai, “Evaluation of the reliability and validity of the osteoporosis health belief scale,” Chinese Journal of Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 196–197, 2005.
- Y. P. Chen and X. Q. Liu, “Reliability and validity of the osteoporosis self efficacy scale-Chinese version,” Nursing Journal of Chinese PLA, vol. 22, pp. 38–39, 2005.
- S. Du, T. A. Mroz, F. Zhai, and B. M. Popkin, “Rapid income growth adversely affects diet quality in China—particularly for the poor!,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 59, no. 7, pp. 1505–1515, 2004.
- F. Zhai, H. Wang, S. Du et al., “Prospective study on nutrition transition in China,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 67, pp. S56–S61, 2009.
- R. A. Forshee, P. A. Anderson, and M. L. Storey, “Changes in calcium intake and association with beverage consumption and demographics: comparing data from CSFII 1994–1996, 1998 and NHANES 1999–2002,” Journal of the American College of Nutrition, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 108–116, 2006.