- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Osteoporosis
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 569145, 5 pages
Genetic Influence of Candidate Osteoporosis Genes in Saudi Arabian Population: A Pilot Study
1Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, College of Medicine, University of Dammam and King Fahd University Hospital, AlKhobar 31952, Saudi Arabia
2Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, College of Medicine, University of Dammam and King Fahd University Hospital, AlKhobar 31952, Saudi Arabia
Received 6 December 2011; Revised 20 January 2012; Accepted 25 January 2012
Academic Editor: Jun Iwamoto
Copyright © 2012 Mir Sadat-Ali and Haifa A. Al-Turki. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. J. Rosen, “Restoring aging bones,” Scientific American, vol. 288, no. 3, pp. 70–77, 2003.
- R. Marcus, “Post-menopausal osteoporosis,” Best Practice and Research: Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 309–327, 2002.
- H. Fleisch, “Pathophysiology of osteoporosis,” Bone and Mineral, vol. 22, pp. S3–S6, 1993.
- K. J. Nichols, “Evaluation of osteoporosis,” Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. S4–S7, 2000.
- A. Chopra, “Osteoporosis: a new understanding of its impact and pathogenesis,” Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. S1–S4, 2000.
- M. M. Iqbal, “Osteoporosis: epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment,” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 2–18, 2000.
- M. Sadat-Ali, A. Y. El-Hassan, E. M. Ibrahim, H. Al-Frehi, and F. Al-Muhanna, “Postmenopausal osteoporosis in Saudi women: a pilot screening,” Annals of Saudi Medicine, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 272–274, 1993.
- A. A. Al-Nuaim, M. Gremli, M. Al-Nuaim, and A. Saud-Kagi, “Magnitude of osteoporosis related fractures in Saudi Arabia,” in Proceedings of the Symposium on Osteoporosis, December 1993.
- M. El-Desouki, “Bone mineral density of the spine and femur in the normal Saudi population,” Saudi Medical Journal, vol. 16, pp. 30–35, 1995.
- M. Sadat-Ali, I. Al-Habdan, and S. Marwah, “Bone mineral density measurements of distal radius in Saudi Arabian females,” Annals of Saudi Medicine, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 414–416, 1996.
- R. Burge, B. Dawson-Hughes, D. H. Solomon, J. B. Wong, A. King, and A. Tosteson, “Incidence and economic burden of osteoporosis-related fractures in the United States, 2005–2025,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 465–475, 2007.
- D. Bubshait and M. Sadat-Ali, “Economic implications of osteoporosis-related femoral fractures in Saudi Arabian Society,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 455–458, 2007.
- A. Al-Omran and M. Sadat-Ali, “Is early mortality related to timing of surgery after fracture femur in the elderly?” Saudi Medical Journal, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 507–510, 2006.
- J. C. Branco, P. Felicíssimo, and J. Monteiro, “Epidemiology of hip fractures and its social and economic impact. A revision of severe osteoporosis current standard of care,” Acta Reumatologica Portuguesa, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 475–485, 2009.
- G. Ioannidis, A. Papaioannou, W. M. Hopman et al., “Relation between fractures and mortality: results from the Canadian Multicentre Osteoporosis Study,” CMAJ, vol. 181, no. 5, pp. 265–271, 2009.
- J. B. Richards, F. K. Kavvoura, F. Rivadeneira et al., “Collaborative meta-analysis: associations of 150 candidate genes with osteoporosis and osteoporotic fracture,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 151, no. 8, pp. 528–537, 2009.
- T. Andrew and A. J. Macgregor, “Genes and osteoporosis,” Curr Osteoporos Rep, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 79–89, 2004.
- S. H. Ralston, “Genetic control of susceptibility to osteoporosis,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 2460–2466, 2002.
- G. J. Tranah, B. C. Taylor, L. Y. Lui et al., “Genetic variation in candidate osteoporosis genes, bone mineral density, and fracture risk: the study of osteoporotic fractures,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 155–166, 2008.
- B. H. Mullin, T. D. Spector, C. C. Curtis et al., “Polymorphisms in ALOX12, but not ALOX15, are significantly associated with BMD in postmenopausal women,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 10–17, 2007.
- D. L. Koller, S. Ichikawa, M. L. Johnson et al., “Contribution of the LRP5 gene to normal variation in peak BMD in women,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 75–80, 2005.
- J. B. J. Van Meurs, T. A. Trikalinos, S. H. Ralston et al., “Large-scale analysis of association between LRP5 and LRP6 variants and osteoporosis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 299, no. 11, pp. 1277–1290, 2008.
- T. Mizuguchi, I. Furuta, Y. Watanabe et al., “LRP5, low-density-lipoprotein-receptor-related protein 5, is a determinant for bone mineral density,” Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 80–86, 2004.
- K. Brixen, S. Beckers, A. Peeters et al., “Polymorphisms in the low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 5 (LRP5) gene are associated with peak bone mass in non-sedentary men: results from the Odense Androgen Study,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 421–429, 2007.
- I. Žofková, M. Hill, and K. Zajíčková, “Association of C/T polymorphism in the LRP5 gene with circulating follicle stimulating hormone in caucasian postmenopausal women,” Physiological Research, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 735–739, 2007.
- J.B. Richards, F. Rivadeneira, M. Inouye et al., “Bone mineral density, osteoporosis, and osteoporotic fractures: a genome-wide association study,” The Lancet, vol. 371, no. 9623, pp. 1505–1512, 2008.