- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Osteoporosis
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 672403, 8 pages
Normative Data for Bone Mass in Healthy Term Infants from Birth to 1 Year of Age
1School of Dietetics and Human Nutrition, McGill University, 21111 Lakeshore Road, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC, Canada H9X 3V9
2Human Nutritional Sciences, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T 2N2
Received 13 June 2012; Revised 25 August 2012; Accepted 26 August 2012
Academic Editor: E. M. Lewiecki
Copyright © 2012 Sina Gallo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Mora, L. Bachrach, and V. Gilsanz, “Noninvasive techniques for bone mass measurement,” in Pediatric Bone: Biology and Diseases, F. Glorieux, J. Pettifor, and H. Juppner, Eds., pp. 303–324, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2003.
- N. Binkley, J. P. Bilezikian, D. L. Kendler, E. S. Leib, E. M. Lewiecki, and S. M. Petak, “Official Positions of the International Society for Clinical Densitometry and Executive Summary of the 2005 Position Development Conference,” Journal of Clinical Densitometry, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 4–14, 2006.
- D. R. Carter, M. L. Bouxsein, and R. Marcus, “New approaches for interpreting projected bone densitometry data,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 137–145, 1992.
- S. M. Ott, M. O'Hanlan, E. W. Lipkin, and L. Newell-Morris, “Evaluation of vertebral volumetric versus areal bone mineral density during growth,” Bone, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 553–556, 1997.
- M. A. Sabin, G. M. Blake, S. M. MacLaughlin-Black, and I. Fogelman, “The accuracy of volumetric bone density measurements in dual X-ray absorptiometry,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 210–214, 1995.
- R. C. Henderson, R. K. Lark, J. B. Renner et al., “Dual X-ray absorptiometry assessment of body composition in children with altered body posture,” Journal of Clinical Densitometry, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 325–335, 2001.
- J. Halton, I. Gaboury, R. Grant et al., “Advanced vertebral fracture among newly diagnosed children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: results of the Canadian Steroid-Associated Osteoporosis in the Pediatric Population (STOPP) research program,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 1326–1334, 2009.
- IOM (Institute of Medicine), Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Vitamin D, and Fluoride, The National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA, 1997.
- IOM (Institute of Medicine), Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium and Vitamin D, The National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2011.
- W. Browner, S. R. Cummings, S. B. Hulley, and T. B. Newman, “Estimating sample size and power: the nitty-gritty,” in Designing Clinical Research: An Epidemiologic Approach, S. Hulley, Ed., Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2001.
- P. M. Braillon, B. L. Salle, J. Brunet, F. H. Glorieux, P. D. Delmas, and P. J. Meunier, “Dual energy x-ray absorptiometry measurement of bone mineral content in newborns: validation of the technique,” Pediatric Research, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 77–80, 1992.
- S. Kurl, K. Heinonen, J. S. Jurvelin, and E. Länsimies, “Lumbar bone mineral content and density measured using a Lunar DPX densitometer in healthy full-term infants during the first year of life,” Clinical Physiology and Functional Imaging, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 222–225, 2002.
- M. Zia-Ullah, W. W. K. Koo, and M. Hammami, “Lumbar spine bone measurements in infants: whole-body vs lumbar spine dual X-ray absorptiometry scans,” Journal of Clinical Densitometry, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 17–25, 2002.
- T. J. Cole and P. J. Green, “Smoothing reference centile curves: the LMS method and penalized likelihood,” Statistics in Medicine, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 1305–1319, 1992.
- B. S. Zemel, V. A. Stallings, M. B. Leonard et al., “Revised pediatric reference data for the lateral distal femur measured by Hologic Discovery/Delphi dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry,” Journal of Clinical Densitometry, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 207–218, 2009.
- C. M. Gordon, L. K. Bachrach, T. O. Carpenter et al., “Dual energy X-ray absorptiometry interpretation and reporting in children and adolescents: the 2007 ISCD pediatric official positions,” Journal of Clinical Densitometry, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 43–58, 2008.
- A. Taylor, P. T. Konrad, M. E. Norman, and H. T. Harcke, “Total body bone mineral density in young children: influence of head bone mineral density,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 652–655, 1997.
- E. A. Szalay and D. Harriman, “Adapting pediatric DXA scanning to clinical orthopaedics,” Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 686–690, 2006.
- M. Avila-Díaz, S. Flores-Huerta, I. Martínez-Muñiz, and D. Amato, “Increments in whole body bone mineral content associated with weight and length in pre-term and full-trerm infants during the first 6 months of life,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 288–292, 2001.
- W. W. K. Koo, A. J. Bush, J. Walters, and S. E. Carlson, “Postnatal development of bone mineral status during infancy,” Journal of the American College of Nutrition, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 65–70, 1998.
- S. Atkinson, et al., “Pattern of growth and body composition in premature compared to term infants from term to six months,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 8, p. A278, 1994.
- S. R. Thomas, H. J. Kalkwarf, D. D. Buckley, and J. E. Heubi, “Effective dose of dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry scans in children as a function of age,” Journal of Clinical Densitometry, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 415–422, 2005.
- C. M. Smith, R. C. Coombs, A. T. Gibson, and R. Eastell, “Adaptation of the Carter method to adjust lumbar spine bone mineral content for age and body size: application to children who were born preterm,” Journal of Clinical Densitometry, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 114–119, 2006.
- J. Palacios, S. Rodriguez, and J. I. Rodriguez, “Intra-uterine long bone growth in small-for-gestational-age infants,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 151, no. 4, pp. 304–307, 1992.
- H. A. Weiler, S. C. Fitzpatrick-Wong, J. M. Schellenberg et al., “Minimal enteral feeding within 3 d of birth in prematurely born infants with birth weight ≤ 1200 g improves bone mass by term age,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 155–162, 2006.
- P. W. Lu, C. T. Cowell, S. A. Lloyd-Jones, J. N. Briody, and R. Howman-Giles, “Volumetric bone mineral density in normal subjects, aged 5–27 years,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 1586–1590, 1996.
- S. Cvijetić and M. Koršić, “Apparent bone mineral density estimated from DXA in healthy men and women,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 295–300, 2004.
- E. D. Daniels, J. M. Pettifor, C. M. Schnitzler, G. P. Moodley, and D. Zachen, “Differences in mineral homeostasis, volumetric bone mass and femoral neck axis length in black and white South African women,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 105–112, 1997.
- S. Khosla, E. J. Atkinson, B. L. Riggs, and L. J. Melton, “Relationship between body composition and bone mass in women,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 857–863, 1996.
- L. A. Binkovitz, M. J. Henwood, and P. Sparke, “Pediatric DXA: technique, interpretation and clinical applications,” Pediatric Radiology, vol. 38, supplement 2, pp. S227–S239, 2008.
- V. Gilsanz and T. Wren, “Assessment of bone acquisition in childhood and adolescence,” Pediatrics, vol. 119, supplement 2, pp. S145–S149, 2007.
- P. Tothill, W. J. Hannan, and S. Wilkinson, “Comparisons between a pencil beam and two fan beam dual energy X-ray absorptiometers used for measuring total body bone and soft tissue,” British Journal of Radiology, vol. 74, no. 878, pp. 166–176, 2001.
- R. J. Toombs, G. Ducher, J. A. Shepherd, and M. J. De Souza, “The impact of recent technological advances on the trueness and precision of DXA to assess body composition,” Obesity, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 30–39, 2012.
- M. M. Sran, K. M. Khan, K. Keiver, J. B. Chew, H. A. McKay, and T. R. Oxland, “Accuracy of DXA scanning of the thoracic spine: cadaveric studies comparing BMC, areal BMD and geometric estimates of volumetric BMD against ash weight and CT measures of bone volume,” European Spine Journal, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 971–976, 2005.
- T. A. L. Wren, X. Liu, P. Pitukcheewanont, and V. Gilsanz, “Bone acquisition in healthy children and adolescents: comparisons of dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry and computed tomography measures,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 1925–1928, 2005.
- S. C. Kaste, K. A. Kasow, and E. M. Horwitz, “Quantitative bone mineral density assessment in malignant infantile osteopetrosis,” Pediatric Blood and Cancer, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 181–185, 2007.
- M. B. Leonard, J. Shults, and B. S. Zemel, “DXA estimates of vertebral volumetric bone mineral density in children: potential advantages of paired posteroanterior and lateral scans,” Journal of Clinical Densitometry, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 265–273, 2006.
- F. Rauch and E. Schoenau, “Changes in bone density during childhood and adolescence: an approach based on bone's biological organization,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 597–604, 2001.
- N. F. Butte, W. W. Wong, J. M. Hopkinson, E. Smith, and K. J. Ellis, “Infant feeding mode affects early growth and body composition,” Pediatrics, vol. 106, no. 6, pp. 1355–1366, 2000.
- W. Millar and H. Maclean, “Breastfeeding practices,” Health Reports, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 23–31, 2005.
- D. Rucker, J. A. Allan, G. H. Fick, and D. A. Hanley, “Vitamin D insufficiency in a population of healthy western Canadians,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 166, no. 12, pp. 1517–1524, 2002.
- R. Vieth, D. E. Cole, G. A. Hawker, H. M. Trang, and L. A. Rubin, “Wintertime vitamin D insufficiency is common in young Canadian women, and their vitamin D intake does not prevent it,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 1091–1097, 2001.
- P. S. Venkataraman and B. W. Ahluwalia, “Total bone mineral content and body composition by X-ray densitometry in newborns,” Pediatrics, vol. 90, no. 5 I, pp. 767–770, 1992.
- B. L. Specker, A. Beck, H. Kalkwarf, and M. Ho, “Randomized trial of varying mineral intake on total body bone mineral accretion during the first year of life,” Pediatrics, vol. 99, no. 6, p. E12, 1997.
- N. F. Butte, J. M. Hopkinson, W. W. Wong, E. O. Smith, and K. J. Ellis, “Body composition during the first 2 years of life: an updated reference,” Pediatric Research, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 578–585, 2000.
- M. Hammami, W. W. K. Koo, and E. M. Hockman, “Body composition of neonates from fan beam dual energy X-ray absorptiometry measurement,” Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 423–426, 2003.