- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Parasitology Research
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 240807, 7 pages
Fascioliasis Control: In Vivo and In Vitro Phytotherapy of Vector Snail to Kill Fasciola Larva
Malacology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, DDU Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur 273009, India
Received 22 July 2011; Accepted 26 August 2011
Academic Editor: Wej Choochote
Copyright © 2011 Kumari Sunita and D. K. Singh. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, Report of the WHO Informal Meeting on Use of Triclabendazole in Fascioliasis Control, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 2006.
- R. A. Agarwal and D. K. Singh, “Harmful gastropods and their control,” Acta Hydrochimica et Hydrobiologica, vol. 16, pp. 113–138, 1988.
- S. Mas-Coma, M. D. Bargues, and M. A. Valero, “Fascioliasis and other plant-borne trematode zoonoses,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 35, no. 11-12, pp. 1255–1278, 2005.
- M. S. Mas-Coma, J. G. Esteban, and M. D. Bargues, “Epidemiology of human fascioliasis: a review and proposed new classification,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 340–346, 1999.
- O. Singh and R. A. Agarwal, “Toxicity of certain pesticides to two economic species of snail in northern India,” Journal of Economic Entomology, vol. 74, pp. 568–571, 1981.
- A. Singh, D. K. Singh, T. N. Misra, and R. A. Agarwal, “Molluscicides of plant origin,” Biological Agriculture and Horticulture, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 205–252, 1996.
- P. Kumar and D. K. Singh, “Molluscicidal activity of Ferula asafoetida, Syzygium aromaticum and Carum carvi and their active components against the snail Lymnaea acuminata,” Chemosphere, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 1568–1574, 2006.
- P. Kumar, V. K. Singh, and D. K. Singh, “Kinetics of enzyme inhibition by active molluscicidal agents ferulic acid, umbelliferone, eugenol and limonene in the nervous tissue of snail Lymnaea acuminata,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 172–177, 2009.
- P. Jaiswal and D. K. Singh, “Molluscicidal activity of nutmeg and mace (Myristica fragrans houtt.) against the vector snail Lymnaea acuminata,” Journal of Herbs, Spices and Medicinal Plants, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 177–186, 2009.
- K. Singh, A. Singh, and D. K. Singh, “Molluscicidal activity of different combinations of the plant products used in the molluscicide Pestoban,” Biological Agriculture and Horticulture, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 253–261, 1995.
- V. K. Singh and D. K. Singh, “Characterization of allicin as a molluscicidal agent in Allium sativum (Garlic),” Biological Agriculture and Horticulture, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 119–131, 1995.
- S. Singh, V. K. Singh, and D. K. Singh, “Molluscicidal activity of some common spice plants,” Biological Agriculture and Horticulture, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 237–249, 1997.
- J. L. Robertson, R. M. Russell, H. K. Preciter, and N. E. Savin, Bioassay with Arthropods Data, Taylar and Francis; CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2nd edition, 2007.
- R. R. Sokal and F. J. Rohlf, Introduction of Biostatistics, W.H. Freeman, San Francisco, Calif, USA,, 1996.
- R. Kaleysa Raj, “Screening of indigenous plants for anthelmintic action against human Ascaris lumbricoides: part II,” Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 47–50, 1975.
- K. M. Nadkarni, Indian Materia Medica. Vol I and II Popular Prakashan, Private Limited Bombay, Mumbai, India, 1976.
- P. Schavenberg and F. Paris, Guide to Medicinal Plants, Lutterworth Press, London, UK, 1977.
- M. J. V. Steenis-Kruseman, “Select Indonesian medicinal plants organize,” Science Research Indonesia Bulltin, vol. 18, p. 31, 1953.
- H. A. Hoppe, Drogenkunde, Vol. I .Angiosperms, Walter De Gruyter, Berlin, Germany, 8th edition, 1975.
- K. R. Kirtikar and B. D. Basu, Indian Medicinal Plants. Part II, Indian Press, 1981.
- R. Kaleysa Raj, “Screening of some indigenous plants for anthelmintic action against human Ascaris lumbricoides,” Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 129–131, 1974.
- C. Goto, S. Kasuya, K. Koga, H. Ohtoma, and N. Kagei, “Lethal efficacy of extract from Zingiber officinale (traditional Chinese medicine) or -shogaol and -gingerol in Anisakis larvae in vitro,” Parasitology Research, vol. 76, no. 8, pp. 653–656, 1990.
- A. Datta and N. C. Sukul, “Antifilarial effect of Zingiber officinale on Dirofilaria immitis,” Journal of Helminthology, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 268–270, 1987.
- C. O. Adewunmi, B. O. Oguntimein, and P. Furu, “Molluscicidal and antischistosomal activities of Zingiber officinale,” Planta Medica, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 374–376, 1990.
- D. Eigner and D. Scholz, “Ferula asa-foetida and Curcuma longa in traditional medical treatment and diet in Nepal,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 1999.
- M. Saleem, A. Alam, and S. Sultana, “Asafoetida inhibits early events of carcinogenesis: a chemopreventive study,” Life Sciences, vol. 68, no. 16, pp. 1913–1921, 2001.
- H. Furukawa, S. Zenno, Y. Iwasawa, H. Morita, T. Yoshida, and T. Nagasawa, “Ferulic acid production from clove oil by pseudomonas fluorescens E118,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 404–405, 2003.
- M. Fatehi, F. Farifteh, and Z. F. Hassanabad, “Antispasmodic and hypotensive effects of Ferula Asafoetida gum extract,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 91, no. 2-3, pp. 321–324, 2004.
- L. M. Assis, C. M. L. Bevilequa, S. M. Morais, L. S. Vieira, C. T. C. Costa, and J. A. L. Souza, “Ovicidal and larvicidal activity in vitro of Spieled anthelia Linn. Extract on Haemonchus contorlus,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 117, pp. 43–49, 2003.
- V. K. Singh, S. Singh, S. Singh, and D. K. Singh, “Effect of active molluscicidal component of spices on different enzyme activities and biogenic amine levels in the nervous tissue of Lymnaea acuminata,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 649–654, 1999.
- M. Humiczewska, “Oxidative enzymes in the development of Fasciola hepatica L,” Folia Histochemica et Cytochemica, vol. 13, pp. 37–130, 1975.
- A. G. M. Tielens, “Biochemistry of trematodes,” in Advances in Trematode Biology, B. Fried and T. K. Graczyk, Eds., pp. 309–343, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1997.
- G. D. Schmidt and L. S. Roberts, Trematoda: From Function, and Classification of Digeneans Foundation of Parasitology, McGraw- Hill, New York, NY, USA, 6th edition, 2000.