- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Probability and Statistics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 194018, 12 pages
Monitoring Murder Crime in Namibia Using Bayesian Space-Time Models
1Department of Statistics, University of Namibia, P.O. Box 13301, Windhoek, Namibia
2School of Mathematics and Southampton Statistical Sciences Research Institute, University of Southampton, Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Received 4 January 2012; Revised 25 April 2012; Accepted 9 May 2012
Academic Editor: Shein-chung Chow
Copyright © 2012 Isak Neema and Dankmar Böhning. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Republic of Namibia 2001 Population and Housing Census, National Report, 2003.
- United Nation Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute, “Crime in Southern Africa towards the year 2000,” Tech. Rep. 7/8, 1997.
- M. Schönteich, “South Africas position in Africas crime rankings,” African Security Review, vol 9, no. 4, 2000.
- 2007, http://www.nationmaster.com/.
- A. Verma and S. K. Lodha, “A topological representation of the criminal event,” Western Criminology Review, vol. 3, no. 2, 2002.
- I. Neema and D. Böhning, “Improved methods for surveying and monitoring crimes through the likelihood based cluster analysis,” International Journal of Criminology and Sociological Theory, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 477–495, 2010.
- J. Besag, J. York, and A. Mollié, “Bayesian image restoration, with two applications in spatial statistics,” Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 1–59, 1991.
- J. Aguero-Valverde and P. P. Jovanis, “Spatial analysis of fatal and injury crashes in Pennsylvania,” Accident Analysis and Prevention, vol. 38, pp. 618–625, 2006.
- A. B. Lawson, A. Biggeri, D. Böhning, E. Lesaffre, J. F. Viel, and R. Bertollini, Disease Mapping and Risk Assessment for Public Health, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- A. B. Lawson, W. J. Browne, and C. L. Vidal Rodeiro, Disease Mapping with WinBUGS and MLwiN, John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, UK, 2003.
- A. B. Lawson, Bayesian Disease Mapping, CRC Press, London, UK, 2009.
- L. Fahrmeir and S. Lang, “Bayesian inference for generalized additive mixed models based on Markov random field priors,” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society C, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 201–220, 2001.
- S. Lang, E. Fronk, and L. Fahrmeir, “Function estimation with locally adaptive dynamic models,” Sondertorschungsbereich 386, paper 263.
- L. Zuccolo, M. M. Maule, and D. Gregori, “An epidemiological application of a Bayesian nonparametric smoother based on a GLMM with an autoregressive error component,” Metodoloski Zvezki, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 259–270, 2005.
- B. Kedem and K. Fokianos, Regression Models for Time Series Analysis, Wiley-Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- A. Gelman and D. B. Rubin, “Inference from iterative simulation using multiple sequences,” Statistical Sciences, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 457–472, 1992.
- S. P. Brooks and A. Gelman, “General methods for monitoring convergence of iterative simulations,” Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 434–455, 1998.
- I. Ntzoufras, Bayesian Modeling using WinBUGS, John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2009.
- D. J. Spiegelhalter, N. G. Best, B. P. Carlin, and A. van der Linde, “Bayesian measures of model complexity and fit,” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 583–639, 2002.
- N. Best and S. Richardson, “Introduction to Bayesian analysis using WinBUGS,” Introduction to Bayesian Analysis and WinBUGS course, Imperial College, January 2009.
- P. Congdon, Applied Bayesian Modelling, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 2003.
- A. Gelman, J. B. Carlin, H. S. Stern, and D. B. Rubin, Bayesian Data Analysis. Text in Statistical Science, Chapman and Hall/CRC, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2004.
- J. Klipin and K. Harrison, The Future for Policing and Crime Prevention in SADC, International Crime Prevention Centre, Montreal, Canada, 2003.