- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Robotics
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 967379, 13 pages
Skill Evaluation from Observation of Discrete Hand Movements during Console Operation
1Department of Robotics and Mechatronics, Tokyo Denki University, 2-2 Kanda-Nishiki-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8457, Japan
2Tokyo Metropolitan University, 1-1 Minami-Osawa, Hachioji-Shi, Tokyo 192-0397, Japan
Received 17 July 2009; Revised 10 December 2009; Accepted 15 February 2010
Academic Editor: Suguru Arimoto
Copyright © 2010 Satoshi Suzuki and Fumio Harashima. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. A. Norman, The Design of Everyday Things, Basic Books, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- K. Furuta, “Control of pendulum: from super mechano-system to human adaptive mechatronics,” in Proceedings of the 42nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, vol. 2, pp. 1498–1507, Maui, Hawaii, USA, December 2003.
- F. Harashima, “Human adaptive mechatronics,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Keynote Speech, CD-ROM, Raleigh, NC, USA, 2005.
- “Special section papers on human-adaptive mechatronics,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 52, no. 5, 2005.
- “Special issue on human adaptive mechatronics,” International Journal of Modeling, Identification and Control, vol. 4, no. 4, 2008.
- R. A. Brooks and L. A. Stein, “Building brain for bodies,” Tech. Rep. MIT AI Lab Memo 1439, pp. 1–15, 1993.
- J. Rasmussen, A. M. Pejtersen, and L. P. Goodstein, Cognitive System Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1994.
- B. Price, “Frank and Lillian Gilbreth and the motion study controversy, 1907–1930,” in A Mental Revolution: Scientific Management since Taylor, D. Nelson, Ed., The Ohio State University Press, 1990.
- S. K. Card, T. Moran, and A. Newell, The Psychology of Human-Computer Interaction, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ, USA, 1983.
- M. Schwartz, E. S. Reed, M. Montgomery, C. Palmer, and N. H. Mayer, “The quantitative description of action disorganisation after brain damage: A case study,” Cognitive Neuropsychology, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 381–414, 1991.
- K. Suzuki, H. Mishima, M. Sasaki, et al., “Affordance and variability of action-environment , action and microslips,” Journal of Japan Society for Fuzzy Theory and Systems, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 826–837, 1997.
- H. Kobayashi, T. Yasuda, and S. Suzuki, “The relations between development of human's manipulative skills and physiological signals of brain and hand,” International Journal of Assistive Robotics and Mechatronics, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 49–61, 2006.
- S. Takeuchi, S. Suzuki, H. Kobayashi, T. Yasuda, and M. Kakikura, “Quantification of skill from a hand's operation and micro slip,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Instrumentation, Control and Information Technology (SICE '05), pp. 1558–1563, Okayama, Japan, August 2005.
- T. Tsuji and Y. Tanaka, “Tracking control properties of human-robotic systems based on impedance control,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics A, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 523–535, 2005.
- A. Tustin, “The nature of the operator's response in manual control and its implications for controller design,” Journal of the Institution of Electrical Engineers A, vol. 94, part 2, pp. 190–202, 1947.
- M. Ito, “Internal model visualized,” Nature, vol. 403, no. 6766, pp. 153–154, 2000.
- M. Kawato and H. Gomi, “A computational model of four regions of the cerebellum based on feedback-error learning,” Biological Cybernetics, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 95–103, 1992.
- D. T. McRuer and E. S. Krendel, “Mathematical models of human pilot behavior,” Tech. Rep. AGARDograph 188, NATO Advisory Group for Aerospace Research and Development, 1974.
- S. Suzuki, K. Kurihara, K. Furuta, and F. Harashima, “Assistance control on a haptic system for human adaptive mechatronics,” Advanced Robotics, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 323–348, 2006.
- P. M. Fitts, “The information capacity of the human motor system in controlling the amplitude of movement,” Journal of Experimental Psychology, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 381–391, 1954.
- J. Accot and S. Zhai, “Beyond Fitts' law: models for trajectory-based HCI tasks,” in Proceedings of the Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '97), pp. 295–302, Atlanta, Ga, USA, March 1997.
- M. J. Mcguffin and R. Balakrishnan, “Fitts' law and expanding targets: experimental studies and designs for user interfaces,” ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 388–422, 2005.
- S. Zhai, S. Conversy, M. Beaudouin-Lafon, and Y. Guiard, “Human on-line response to target expansion,” in Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '03), vol. 5, pp. 177–184, Fort Lauderdale, Fla, USA, April 2003.
- A. Cockburn and P. Brock, “Human on-line response to visual and motor target expansion,” in Proceedings of the 32nd Graphics Interface, pp. 81–87, Quebec, Canada, June 2006.
- X. Ren and S. Mizobuchi, “Investigating the usability of the stylus pen on handheld devices,” in Proceedings of the 4th Annual Workshop on HCI Research in MIS, pp. 30–34, Las Vegas, Nev, USA, 2005.
- I. Emeagwali, P. Marayong, J. J. Abbott, and A. M. Okamura, “Performance analysis of steady-hand teleoperation versus cooperative manipulation,” in Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Haptic Interfaces for Virtual Environment and Teleoperator Systems (HAPTICS '04), pp. 316–322, Chicago, Ill, USA, March 2004.
- A. Leganchuk, S. Zhai, and W. Buxton, “Manual and cognitive benefits of two-handed input: an experimental study,” Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 326–359, 1998.
- T. Yukimachi and Y. Okada, “A study of manual control with inching operation,” The Japanese Journal of Ergonomics, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 1989 (Japanese).
- S. Suzuki and F. Harashima, “Skill analysis focused on the hand discrete movement for machine manipulation,” in Proceedings of the 13th IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation (ETFA '08), pp. 156–163, Hamburg, Germany, September 2008.
- S. Suzuki and F. Harashima, “Segmentation and analysis of console operation using self-organizing map with cluster growing method,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS '09), pp. 4875–4880, St. Louis, Mo, USA, October 2009.
- F. Miyawaki, K. Masamune, S. Suzuki, K. Yoshimitsu, and J. Vain, “Scrub nurse robot system—intraoperative motion analysis of a scrub nurse and timed-automata-based model for surgery,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1227–1235, 2005.