- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Robotics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 512616, 9 pages
Robotics for Natural Orifice Transluminal Endoscopic Surgery: A Review
Department of Electronic Engineering, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong
Received 11 September 2012; Accepted 18 December 2012
Academic Editor: Yangmin Li
Copyright © 2012 Xiaona Wang and Max Q.-H. Meng. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. S. Garud and F. F. Willingham, “Natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery,” Endoscopy, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 865–868, 2012.
- S. V. Kantsevoy, B. Hu, S. B. Jagannath et al., “Transgastric endoscopic splenectomy: is it possible?” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 522–525, 2006.
- A. N. Kalloo, V. K. Singh, S. B. Jagannath et al., “Flexible transgastric peritoneoscopy: a novel approach to diagnostic and therapeutic interventions in the peritoneal cavity,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 114–117, 2004.
- L. L. Swanstrom, Y. Khajanchee, and M. A. Abbas, “Natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery: the future of gastrointestinal surgery,” The Permanente Journal, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 42–47, 2008.
- G. V. Rao and N. Reddy, “Transgastric appendectomy in humans,” in Proceedings of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES) Annual Conference, Dallas, Tex, USA, 2006.
- L. L. Swanström, “Natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery,” Endoscopy, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 82–85, 2009.
- F. M. Sánchez-Margallo, J. M. Asencio, M. C. Tejonero et al., “Technical feasibility of totally natural orifice cholecystectomy in a swine model,” Minimally Invasive Therapy and Allied Technologies, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 361–364, 2008.
- J. Pearl and J. Ponsky, “Natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery: past, present and future,” Journal of Minimal Access Surgery, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 43–46, 2007.
- L. L. Swanstrom, M. Whiteford, and Y. Khajanchee, “Developing essential tools to enable transgastric surgery (NOTES),” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 16–20, 2008.
- S. J. Bardaro and L. Swanström, “Development of advanced endoscopes for natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (NOTES),” Minimally Invasive Therapy and Allied Technologies, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 378–383, 2006.
- D. Rattner and A. Kalloo, “White paper—ASGE/SAGES working group on natural orifice translumenal endoscopic surgery,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 329–333, 2006.
- A. Degani, H. Choset, A. Wolf, and M. A. Zenati, “Highly articulated robotic probe for minimally invasive surgery,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA '06), pp. 4167–4172, Orlando, Fla, USA, May 2006.
- D. J. Abbott, C. Becke, R. I. Rothstein, and W. J. Peine, “Design of an endoluminal NOTES robotic system,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS '07), pp. 410–416, San Diego, Calif, USA, October 2007.
- J. P. Pearl and J. L. Ponsky, “Natural orifice translumenal endoscopic surgery: a critical review,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 1293–1300, 2008.
- L. Swanström, P. Swain, and P. Denk, “Development and validation of a new generation of flexible endoscope for NOTES,” Surgical Innovation, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 104–110, 2009.
- J. Yonezawa, M. Kaise, K. Sumiyama, K. Goda, H. Arakawa, and H. Tajiri, “A novel double-channel therapeutic endoscope (“R-scope”) facilitates endoscopic submucosal dissection of superficial gastric neoplasms,” Endoscopy, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 1011–1015, 2006.
- L. L. Swanstrom, R. Kozarek, P. J. Pasricha et al., “Development of a new access device for transgastric surgery,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 1129–1137, 2005.
- R. A. Cahill, “Natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery—here and now,” The Surgeon, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 44–50, 2010.
- M. C. Meadows and R. S. Chamberlain, “A review on the status of natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (NOTES) cholecystectomy: techniques and challenges,” Open Access Surgery, vol. 3, pp. 73–86, 2010.
- G. Iddan, G. Meron, A. Glukhovsky, and P. Swain, “Wireless capsule endoscopy,” Nature, vol. 405, no. 6785, pp. 417–418, 2000.
- X. Wang and M. Q. H. Meng, “A magnetic stereo-actuation mechanism for active capsule endoscope,” in Proceedings of the 29th Annual International Conference of IEEE-EMBS, Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC '07), pp. 2811–2814, Lyon, France, August 2007.
- M. Quirini, A. Menciassi, S. Scapellato et al., “Feasibility proof of a legged locomotion capsule for the GI tract,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 67, no. 7, pp. 1153–1158, 2008.
- M. E. Rentschler, J. Dumpert, S. R. Platt, S. M. Farritor, and D. Oleynikov, “Natural orifice surgery with an endoluminal mobile robot,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 1212–1215, 2007.
- M. E. Rentschler and D. Oleynikov, “Recent in vivo surgical robot and mechanism developments,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1477–1481, 2007.
- A. C. Lehman, K. A. Berg, J. Dumpert et al., “Surgery with cooperative robots,” Computer Aided Surgery, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 95–105, 2008.
- J. Cadeddu, R. Fernandez, M. Desai et al., “Novel magnetically guided intra-abdominal camera to facilitate laparoendoscopic single-site surgery: initial human experience,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1894–1899, 2009.
- B. C. Shah, S. L. Buettner, A. C. Lehman, S. M. Farritor, and D. Oleynikov, “Miniature in vivo robotics and novel robotic surgical platforms,” Urologic Clinics of North America, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 251–263, 2009.
- A. C. Lehman, J. Dumpert, N. A. Wood et al., “Natural orifice cholecystectomy using a miniature robot,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 260–266, 2009.
- S. R. Platt, J. A. Hawks, and M. E. Rentschler, “Vision and task assistance using modular wireless in vivo surgical robots,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 1700–1710, 2009.
- G. Dominguez, L. Durand, J. de Rosa, E. Danguise, C. Arozamena, and P. A. Ferraina, “Retraction and triangulation with neodymium magnetic forceps for single-port laparoscopic cholecystectomy,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1660–1666, 2009.
- S. Park, R. A. Bergs, R. Eberhart, L. Baker, R. Fernandez, and J. A. Cadeddu, “Trocar-less instrumentation for laparoscopy: magnetic positioning of intra-abdominal camera and retractor,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 245, no. 3, pp. 379–384, 2007.
- I. S. Zeltser, R. Bergs, R. Fernandez, L. Baker, R. Eberhart, and J. A. Cadeddu, “Single trocar laparoscopic nephrectomy using magnetic anchoring and guidance system in the porcine model,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 178, no. 1, pp. 288–291, 2007.
- D. J. Scott, S. J. Tang, R. Fernandez et al., “Completely transvaginal NOTES cholecystectomy using magnetically anchored instruments,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 2308–2316, 2007.
- S. L. Best, W. Kabbani, D. J. Scott et al., “Magnetic anchoring and Guidance system instrumentation for laparo-endoscopic single-site surgery/natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery: lack of histologic damage after prolonged magnetic coupling across the abdominal wall,” Urology, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 243–247, 2011.
- T. Fukuda, S. Nakagawa, Y. Kawauchi, and M. Buss, “Structure decision method for self organising robots based on cell structures—CEBOT,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 695–700, Scottsdale, Ariz , USA, May 1989.
- E. Susilo, P. Valdastri, A. Menciassi, and P. Dario, “A miniaturized wireless control platform for robotic capsular endoscopy using advanced pseudokernel approach,” Sensors and Actuators A, vol. 156, no. 1, pp. 49–58, 2009.
- K. Harada, E. Susilo, A. Menciassi, and P. Dario, “Wireless reconfigurable modules for robotic endoluminal surgery,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2699–2704, Kobe, Japan, May 2009.
- K. Harada, S. Russo, T. Ranzani, A. Menciassi, and P. Dario, “Design of Scout Robot as a robotic module for symbiotic multi-robot organisms,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Micro-NanoMechatronics and Human Science, November 2011.
- E. Diller, C. Pawashe, S. Floyd, and M. Sitti, “Assembly and disassembly of magnetic mobile micro-robots towards deterministic 2-D reconfigurable micro-systems,” The International Journal of Robotics Research, vol. 30, no. 14, pp. 1667–1680, 2011.