- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Robotics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 797063, 13 pages
Visual Odometry through Appearance- and Feature-Based Method with Omnidirectional Images
Departamento de Ingenierıa de Sistemas y Automática, Universidad Miguel Hernández, Avda. de la Universidad s/n, 03202 Elche (Alicante), Spain
Received 30 March 2012; Revised 16 July 2012; Accepted 31 July 2012
Academic Editor: Bojan Nemec
Copyright © 2012 David Valiente García et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. F. Olson, L. H. Matthies, M. Schoppers, and M. W. Maimone, “Robust stereo ego-motion for long distance navigation,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR '00), pp. 453–458, June 2000.
- L. Matthies, Dynamic stereo vision [Ph.D. thesis], Carnegie Mellon University, 1989.
- H. Moravec, Obstacle avoidance and navigation in the real world by a seeing robot rover [Ph.D. thesis], Stanford University, 1980.
- D. Nistér, O. Naroditsky, and J. Bergen, “Visual odometry,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR '04), pp. I652–I659, July 2004.
- D. Nistér, “Preemptive RANSAC for live structure and motion estimation,” Machine Vision and Applications, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 321–329, 2005.
- D. Nistér, O. Naroditsky, and J. Bergen, “Visual odometry for ground vehicle applications,” Journal of Field Robotics, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 3–20, 2006.
- J. P. Tardif, Y. Pavlidis, and K. Daniilidis, “Monocular visual odometry in urban environments using an omnidirectional camera,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS '08), pp. 2531–2538, September 2008.
- D. Scaramuzza, F. Fraundorfer, and R. Siegwart, “Real-time monocular visual odometry for on-road vehicles with 1-Point RANSAC,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics & Automation (ICRA '09), 2009.
- R. Goecke, A. Asthana, N. Pettersson, and L. Petersson, “Visual vehicle egomotion estimation using the Fourier-Mellin transform,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV '07), pp. 450–455, June 2007.
- L. Fernández, L. Payá, O. Reinoso, and F. Amorós, “Appearance-based visual odometry with omnidirectional images. A practical application to topological mapping,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics (ICINCO '11), 2011.
- E. Menegatti, T. Maeda, and H. Ishiguro, “Image-based memory for robot navigation using properties of omnidirectional images,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 251–267, 2004.
- D. Scaramuzza and R. Siegwart, “Appearance-guided monocular omnidirectional visual odometry for outdoor ground vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1015–1026, 2008.
- P. Corke, D. Strelow, and S. Singh, “Omnidirectional visual odometry for a planetary rover,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS '04), pp. 4007–4012, October 2004.
- D. Scaramuzza, “Performance evaluation of 1-point RANSAC visual odometry,” Journal of Field Robotics, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 792–811, 2011.
- A. Gil, D. Valiente, O. Reinoso, L. Fernández, and J. M. Marín, “Building visual maps with a single omnidirectional camera,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics (ICINCO '11), 2011.
- D. Nistér, “An efficient solution to the five-point relative pose problem,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR '03), pp. 195–202, June 2003.
- L. Payá, L. Fernández, O. Reinoso, A. Gil, and D. Úbeda, “Appearance-based dense maps creation: comparison of compression techniques with panoramic images,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics (ICINCO '09), pp. 250–255, July 2009.
- L. F. Rojo, L. Payá, O. Reinoso, A. Gil, and M. Juliá, “Robust methods for robot localization under changing illumination conditions: comparison of different filtering techniques,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Agents and Artificial Intelligence (ICAART '10), vol. 1, pp. 223–228, Valencia, Spain, January 2010.
- R. Gonzalez and R. Woods, Digital Image Processing, Addison-Wesley Longman, Boston, Mass, USA, 2nd edition, 1992.
- C. G. Harris and M. Stephens, “A combined corner and edge detector,” in Proceedings of the Alvey Vision Conference, 1988.
- D. G. Lowe, “Distinctive image features from scale-invariant keypoints,” International Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 91–110, 2004.
- H. Bay, A. Ess, T. Tuytelaars, and L. Van Gool, “SURF: speeded up robust features,” in Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV '06), 2006.
- A. Gil, O. M. Mozos, M. Ballesta, and O. Reinoso, “A comparative evaluation of interest point detectors and local descriptors for visual SLAM,” Machine Vision and Applications, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 905–920, 2010.
- A. C. Murillo, J. J. Guerrero, and C. Sagüés, “SURF features for efficient robot localization with omnidirectional images,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics & Automation (ICRA'07), pp. 3901–3907, April 2007.
- R. Kawanishi, A. Yamashita, and T. Kaneko, “Construction of 3D environment model from an omni-directional image sequence,” in Proceedings of the Asia International Symposium on Mechatronics, 2008.
- H. Stewénius, C. Engels, and D. Nistér, “Recent developments on direct relative orientation,” ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 284–294, 2006.
- R. Bunschoten and B. Kröse, “Visual odometry from an omnidirectional vision system,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics & Automation, pp. 577–583, September 2003.
- R. Hartley and A. Zisserman, Multiple View Geometry in Computer Vision, Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- A. J. Davison, “Real-time simultaneous localisation and mapping with a single camera,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV '03), pp. 1403–1410, October 2003.
- C. Stachniss, G. Grisetti, D. Hahnel, and W. Burgard, “Improved rao-blackwellized mapping by adaptive sampling and active loop-closure,” in Proceedings of the Workshop on Self-Organization of Adaptive behavior (SOAVE '04), pp. 1–15, 2004.