- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Renewable Energy
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 163829, 11 pages
Investigations on Performance and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Engine with Biodiesel (Jatropha Oil) and Its Blends
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, Smt. Kashibai Navale College Of Engineering, Pune, Maharashtra 411041, India
2Flora Institute of Technology, Pune, Maharashtra 411041, India
Received 25 December 2012; Revised 4 February 2013; Accepted 10 February 2013
Academic Editor: Nuri Azbar
Copyright © 2013 Amar Pandhare and Atul Padalkar. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. K. Agarwal and K. Rajamanoharan, “Experimental investigations of performance and emissions of Karanja oil and its blends in a single cylinder agricultural diesel engine,” Applied Energy, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 106–112, 2009.
- A. Srivastava and R. Prasad, “Triglycerides-based diesel fuels,” Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 111–133, 2000.
- R. J. Crookes, F. Kiannejad, and M. A. A. Nazha, “Systematic assessment of combustion characteristics of biofuels and emulsions with water for use as diesel engine fuels,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 38, no. 15-17, pp. 1785–1795, 1997.
- A. Faiz and P. J. Sturm, “New directions: air pollution and road traffic in developing countries,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 34, no. 27, pp. 4745–4746, 2000.
- A. S. Ramadhas, S. Jayaraj, and C. Muraleedharan, “Use of vegetable oils as I.C. engine fuels—a review,” Renewable Energy, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 727–742, 2004.
- F. K. Forson, E. K. Oduro, and E. Hammond-Donkoh, “Performance of jatropha oil blends in a diesel engine,” Renewable Energy, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 1135–1145, 2004.
- A. Pandhare and A. Padalkar, Use of Jatropha Oil Methyl Ester and Its Blends as an Alternative Fuel in Diesel Engine, vol. 1–3 of ASME Digital library, ICMET, London, UK, 2011.
- M. Canakci and J. H. Van Gerpen, “Comparison of engine performance and emissions for petroleum diesel fuel, yellow grease biodiesel, and soybean oil biodiesel,” Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 937–944, 2003.
- S. Kalligeros, F. Zannikos, S. Stournas et al., “An investigation of using biodiesel/marine diesel blends on the performance of a stationary diesel engine,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 141–149, 2002.
- A. K. Agarwal, J. Bijwe, and L. M. Das, “Effect of biodiesel utilization of wear of vital parts in compression ignition engine,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 604–611, 2003.
- R. Altin, S. Çetinkaya, and H. S. Yücesu, “The Potential of using vegetable oil fuels as fuel for diesel engines,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 529–538, 2001.
- M. A. Kalam, M. Husnawan, and H. H. Masjuki, “Exhaust emission and combustion evaluation of coconut oil-powered indirect injection diesel engine,” Renewable Energy, vol. 28, no. 15, pp. 2405–2415, 2003.
- H. Raheman and S. V. Ghadge, “Performance of compression ignition engine with mahua (Madhuca indica) biodiesel,” Fuel, vol. 86, no. 16, pp. 2568–2573, 2007.
- A. S. Ramadhas, C. Muraleedharan, and S. Jayaraj, “Performance and emission evaluation of a diesel engine fueled with methyl esters of rubber seed oil,” Renewable Energy, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 1789–1800, 2005.
- N. Usta, “An experimental study on performance and exhaust emissions of a diesel engine fuelled with tobacco seed oil methyl ester,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 46, no. 15-16, pp. 2373–2386, 2005.
- M. A. R. Sadiq Al-Baghdadi, “Effect of compression ratio, equivalence ratio and engine speed on the performance and emission characteristics of a spark ignition engine using hydrogen as a fuel,” Renewable Energy, vol. 29, no. 15, pp. 2245–2260, 2004.
- O. Laguitton, C. Crua, T. Cowell, M. R. Heikal, and M. R. Gold, “The effect of compression ratio on exhaust emissions from a PCCI diesel engine,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 2918–2924, 2007.
- R. Anand, G. R. Kannan, K. Rajasekhar Reddy, and S. Velmathi, “The performance and emissions of a variable compression ratio diesel engine fuelled with bio-diesel from cotton seed oil,” Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 72–87, 2009.
- O. M. I. Nwafor, “Effect of advanced injection timing on emission characteristics of diesel engine running on natural gas,” Renewable Energy, vol. 32, no. 14, pp. 2361–2368, 2007.
- S. Ueki and A. Miura, “Effect of difference of high pressure fuel injection systems on exhaust emissions from HDDI diesel engine,” JSAE review, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 555–557, 1999.
- H. Watanabe, T. Tahara, M. Tamanouchi, and J. Iida, “Study of the effects on exhaust emissions in direct injection diesel engines: effects of fuel injection system, distillation properties and cetane number,” JSAE Review, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 21–26, 1998.
- K. Zeng, Z. Huang, B. Liu et al., “Combustion characteristics of a direct-injection natural gas engine under various fuel injection timings,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 26, no. 8-9, pp. 806–813, 2006.
- O. M. I. Nwafor, “Emission characteristics of diesel engine running on vegetable oil with elevated fuel inlet temperature,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 507–511, 2004.
- D. Agarwal and A. K. Agarwal, “Performance and emissions characteristics of Jatropha oil (preheated and blends) in a direct injection compression ignition engine,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 27, no. 13, pp. 2314–2323, 2007.