- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Renewable Energy
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 475282, 5 pages
A Technical Note on Fabrication and Thermal Performance Studies of a Solar Pond Model
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, MIT, Moradabad 244001, India
2Department of Mechanical Engineering, NIT, Hamirpur 177001, India
Received 19 December 2012; Accepted 10 February 2013
Academic Editor: Zuhal Oktay
Copyright © 2013 Abhishek Saxena and Varun Goel. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. C. Neville, Solar Energy Conversion, Elsevier, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- J. A. Duffle and W. A. Backman, Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 1974.
- H. P. Garg and J. Prakash, Solar Energy Fundamentals and Applications, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- S. P. Sukhatme, Solar Energy, Tata McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2006.
- J. R. Hull, K. V. Liu, W. T. Sha, J. Kamal, and C. E. Nielsen, “Dependence of ground heat loss upon solar pond size and perimeter insulation calculated and experimental results,” Solar Energy, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 25–33, 1984.
- J. R. Hull, D. L. Bushnell, D. G. Sempsrote, and A. Pena, “Ammonium sulfate solar pond: obser vations from small-scale experiments,” Solar Energy, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 57–64, 1989.
- J. R. Hull and C. E. Nielsen, “Steady-state analysis of the rising solar pond,” Solar Energy, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 365–377, 1989.
- H. Tabor, “Solar ponds,” Solar Energy, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 181–194, 1981.
- S. Janjai, A. Esper, and W. Mühlbauer, “Modelling the performance of a large area plastic solar collector,” Renewable Energy, vol. 21, no. 3-4, pp. 363–376, 2000.
- J. R. Hull, “Computer simulation of solar pond thermal behavior,” Solar Energy, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 33–40, 1980.
- J. R. Hull, “Membrane stratified solar ponds,” Solar Energy, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 317–325, 1980.
- J. R. Hull, “Methods and means of preventing heat convection in a solar pond,” US Patent , 1980.
- J. R. Hull, “Calculation of solar pond thermal efficiency with a diffusely reflecting bottom,” Solar Energy, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 385–389, 1982.
- J. R. Hull, “Solar ponds using ammonium salts,” Solar Energy, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 551–558, 1986.
- C. T. Airnone-Martin and M.-A. Martel, “Salinity gradient solar pond technology applied to potash solution mining,” in Environmental Improvements in Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy, A. Sticbez, F. Vergara, and S. H. Castro, Eds., University of Concepcion, Edmundo Larenas, Chile, 2000.
- J. D. Spitler, “A Model for simulating the performance of a shallow pond as a supplemental heat rejecter with closed-loop ground-source heat pump systems,” ASHRAE Transaction, vol. 106, part 2, 2000.
- N. Ozek, M. Kalkilik, and N. C. bezir, “A solar pond, odel with insulated and glass covered,” Bulgarian Journal of Physics, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 67–70, 2000.
- M. Ouni, A. Guizani, and A. Belghith, “Simulation of the control of a salt gradient solar pond in the south of Tunisia,” Revue des Energies Renouvelables, pp. 175–182, 2001.
- A. A. El-Sebaii, “Thermal performance of a shallow solar-pond integrated with a baffle plate,” Applied Energy, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 33–53, 2005.
- V. Velmurugana and K. Srithar, “Solar stills integrated with a mini solar pond analytical simulation and experimental validation,” Desalination, vol. 216, pp. 232–241, 2007.
- M. Karakilcik and I. Dincer, “Exergetic performance analysis of a solar pond,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 93–102, 2008.
- N. C. Bezir, O. Dönmez, R. Kayali, and N. Özek, “Numerical and experimental analysis of a salt gradient solar pond performance with or without reflective covered surface,” Applied Energy, vol. 85, no. 11, pp. 1102–1112, 2008.
- M. A. Garmana and M. A. Muntasserb, “Sizing and thermal study of salinity gradient solar ponds connecting with the MED desalination unit,” Desalination, vol. 222, no. 1–3, pp. 689–695, 2008.
- A. K. Saxena, S. Sugandhi, and M. Husain, “Significant depth of ground water table for thermal performance of salt gradient solar pond,” Renewable Energy, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 790–793, 2009.
- F. Suárez, S. W. Tyler, and A. E. Childress, “A fully coupled, transient double-diffusive convective model for salt-gradient solar ponds,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 53, no. 9-10, pp. 1718–1730, 2010.
- M. M. Ould Dah, M. Ouni, A. Guizani, and A. Belghith, “The influence of the heat extraction mode on the performance and stability of a mini solar pond,” Applied Energy, vol. 87, no. 10, pp. 3005–3010, 2010.
- G. R. R. Murthy and K. P. Pandey, Solar Ponds: A Perspective from Indian Agriculture, Department of Agricultural and Food Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India, 2000.
- H. Lu, J. C. Walton, and A. H. P. Swift, “Desalination coupled with salinity-gradient solar ponds,” Desalination, vol. 136, no. 1–3, pp. 13–23, 2001.
- H. Kurt, M. Ozkaymak, and A. K. Binark, “Experimental and numerical analysis of sodium-carbonate salt gradient solar-pond performance under simulated solar-radiation,” Applied Energy, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 324–342, 2006.
- M. C. Giestas, H. L. Pina, J. P. Milhazes, and C. Tavares, “Solar pond modeling with density and viscosity dependent on temperature and salinity,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 52, no. 11-12, pp. 2849–2857, 2009.
- R. Peter and T. H. Short, “Salt gradient solar ponds: research progress in Ohio and future prospects,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on salt, vol. 2, Salt Institute, 1983.
- S. C. Sharma and A. Tiwari, “Performance enhancement of shallow solar pond by system Modification,” International Journal on Emerging Technologies-, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 92–96, 2010.
- H. C. Bryant and I. Colbeck, “A solar pond for London?” Solar Energy, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 321–322, 1977.
- M. N. A. Hawlader, “The influence of the extinction coefficient on the effectiveness of solar ponds,” Solar Energy, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 461–464, 1980.
- H. Rubin and G. A. Bemporad, “The advanced solar pond (ASP): basic theoretical aspects,” Solar Energy, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 35–44, 1989.