- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Sensors
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 601704, 10 pages
Tetrodotoxin Detection by a Surface Plasmon Resonance Sensor in Pufferfish Matrices and Urine
1Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Washington, Box 351750, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
2Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, College Park, MD 20740, USA
Received 24 April 2011; Accepted 26 May 2011
Academic Editor: Andrea Cusano
Copyright © 2011 Allen D. Taylor et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Noguchi, O. Arakawa, and T. Takatani, “TTX accumulation in pufferfish,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology—Part D: Genomics and Proteomics, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 145–152, 2006.
- W. A. Catterall, “Structure and function of voltage-sensitive ion channels,” Science, vol. 242, no. 4875, pp. 50–61, 1988.
- G. K. Isbister, “Marine envenomation and poisoning,” in Medical Toxicology, R. C. Dart, Ed., chapter 252, pp. 1621–1644, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 3rd edition, 2004.
- A. Alcaraz, R. E. Whipple, H. R. Gregg, B. D. Andresen, and P. M. Grant, “Analysis of tetrodotoxin,” Forensic Science International, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 35–45, 1999.
- T. J. G. Raybould, G. S. Bignami, L. K. Inouye et al., “A monoclonal antibody-based immunoassay for detecting tetrodotoxin in biological samples,” Journal of Clinical Laboratory Analysis, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 65–72, 1992.
- C. K. How, C. H. Chern, Y. C. Huang, L. M. Wang, and C. H. Lee, “Tetrodotoxin poisoning,” American Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 51–54, 2003.
- E. J. Nuñez-Vázquez, M. Yotsu-Yamashita, A. P. Sierra-Beltrán, T. Yasumoto, and J. L. Ochoa, “Toxicities and distribution of tetrodotoxin in the tissues of puffer fish found in the coast of the Baja California Peninsula, Mexico,” Toxicon, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 729–734, 2000.
- K. Kawatsu, T. Shibata, and Y. Hamano, “Application of immunoaffinity chromatography for detection of tetrodotoxin from urine samples of poisoned patients,” Toxicon, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 325–333, 1999.
- Y. H. Tsai, D. F. Hwang, C. A. Cheng, C. C. Hwang, and J. F. Deng, “Determination of tetrodotoxin in human urine and blood using C18 cartridge column, ultrafiltration and LC-MS,” Journal of Chromatography B: Analytical Technologies in the Biomedical and Life Sciences, vol. 832, no. 1, pp. 75–80, 2006.
- T. Yasumoto, “The manual for the methods of food sanitation tests,” in Bureau of Environmental Health and Welfare, for Chemistry, p. 296, Japan Food Hygienic Association, Tokyo, Japan, 1991.
- S. Gallacher, F. Mackintosh, A. M. Shanks, S. O'Neill, I. Riddoch, and F. G. Howard, “Monitoring for paralytic shellfish poisons in Scotland and progress in research to replace the use of the mouse bioassay,” Journal of Shellfish Research, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1647–1651, 1998.
- M. LeDoux, S. Hall, M. Bohec et al., “Proficiency testing of eight French laboratories in using the AOAC mouse bioassay for paralytic shellfish poisoning: interlaboratory collaborative study,” Journal of AOAC International, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 305–310, 2000.
- G. J. Doucette, C. L. Powell, E. U. Do, C. Y. Byon, F. Cleves, and S. G. McClain, “Evaluation of 11-[3H]-tetrodotoxin use in a heterologous receptor binding assay for PSP toxins,” Toxicon, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 1465–1474, 2000.
- K. Hamasaki, K. Kogure, and K. Ohwada, “An improved method of tissue culture bioassay for tetrodotoxin,” Fisheries Science, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 825–829, 1996.
- B. S. Cheun, M. Loughran, T. Hayashi, Y. Nagashima, and E. Watanabe, “Use of a channel biosensor for the assay of paralytic shellfish toxins,” Toxicon, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 1371–1381, 1998.
- M. A. O'Leary, J. J. Schneider, and G. K. Isbister, “Use of high performance liquid chromatography to measure tetrodotoxin in serum and urine of poisoned patients,” Toxicon, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 549–553, 2004.
- Y. Shoji, M. Yotsu-Yamashita, T. Miyazawa, and T. Yasumoto, “Electrospray ionization mass spectrometry of tetrodotoxin and its analogs: liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry, tandem mass spectrometry, and liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 290, no. 1, pp. 10–17, 2001.
- K. Kawatsu, Y. Hamano, T. Yoda, Y. Terano, and T. Shibata, “Rapid and highly sensitive enzyme immunoassay for quantitative determination of tetrodotoxin,” Japanese Journal of Medical Science and Biology, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 133–150, 1997.
- D. Neagu, L. Micheli, and G. Palleschi, “Study of a toxin-alkaline phosphatase conjugate for the development of an immunosensor for tetrodotoxin determination,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 385, no. 6, pp. 1068–1074, 2006.
- A. D. Taylor, J. Ladd, S. Etheridge, J. Deeds, S. Hall, and S. Jiang, “Quantitative detection of tetrodotoxin (TTX) by a surface plasmon resonance (SPR) sensor,” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 120–128, 2008.
- J. Homola, “Present and future of surface plasmon resonance biosensors,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 377, no. 3, pp. 528–539, 2003.
- P. Pattnaik and A. Srivastav, “Surface plasmon resonance—applications in food science research: a review,” Journal of Food Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 329–336, 2006.
- C.-Y. Chen and H.-N. Chou, “Detection of tetrodotoxin by high performance liquid chromotography in lined-moon shell and puffer fish,” Acta Zoologica Taiwanica, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 41–48, 1998.
- A. Negri, D. Stirling, M. Quilliam et al., “Three novel hydroxybenzoate saxitoxin analogues isolated from the dinoflagellate Gymnodinium catenatum,” Chemical Research in Toxicology, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 1029–1033, 2003.
- J. Ladd, C. Boozer, Q. Yu, S. Chen, J. Homola, and S. Jiang, “DNA-directed protein immobilization on mixed self-assembled monolayers via a streptavidin bridge,” Langmuir, vol. 20, no. 19, pp. 8090–8095, 2004.
- X. Qian, S. J. Metallo, I. S. Choi, H. Wu, M. N. Liang, and G. M. Whitesides, “Arrays of self-assembled monolayers for studying inhibition of bacterial adhesion,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 74, no. 8, pp. 1805–1810, 2002.
- T. M. Blättler, S. Pasche, M. Textor, and H. J. Griesser, “High salt stability and protein resistance of poly(L-lysine)-g- poly(ethylene glycol) copolymers covalently immobilized via aldehyde plasma polymer interlayers on inorganic and polymeric substrates,” Langmuir, vol. 22, no. 13, pp. 5760–5769, 2006.
- S. Pasche, M. Textor, L. Meagher, N. D. Spencer, and H. J. Griesser, “Relationship between interfacial forces measured by colloid-probe atomic force microscopy and protein resistance of poly(ethylene glycol)-grafted poly(L-lysine) adlayers on niobia surfaces,” Langmuir, vol. 21, no. 14, pp. 6508–6520, 2005.
- R. E. Holmlin, X. Chen, R. G. Chapman, S. Takayama, and G. M. Whitesides, “Zwitterionic SAMs that resist nonspecific adsorption of protein from aqueous buffer,” Langmuir, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 2841–2850, 2001.
- Z. Zhang, S. Chen, and S. Jiang, “Dual-functional biomimetic materials: nonfouling poly(carboxybetaine) with active functional groups for protein immobilization,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 3311–3315, 2006.
- T. Kawabata, “Assay method for tetrodotoxin,” in Food Hygiene Examination Manual, T. Kawabata, Ed., vol. 2, pp. 232–239, Japanese Food Hygiene Association, Tokyo, Japan, 1978.
- H. Denac, M. Mevissen, and G. Scholtysik, “Structure, function and pharmacology of voltage-gated sodium channels,” Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Archives of Pharmacology, vol. 362, no. 6, pp. 453–479, 2000.