- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Sensors
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 696247, 7 pages
Development of Galactose Biosensor Based on Functionalized ZnO Nanorods with Galactose Oxidase
Division of Physical Electronic and Nanotechnology, Department of Science and Technology, Linköping University, Campus Norrköping, 60174 Norrköping, Sweden
Received 31 December 2011; Revised 28 April 2012; Accepted 13 May 2012
Academic Editor: P. Siciliano
Copyright © 2012 K. Khun et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. M. Bagnall, Y. F. Chen, Z. Zhu et al., “Optically pumped lasing of ZnO at room temperature,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 70, no. 17, pp. 2230–2232, 1997.
- A. Ohtomo, M. Kawasaki, T. Koida et al., “Double heterostructure based on ZnO and MgxZn1-xO,” Materials Science Forum, vol. 264–268, no. 2, pp. 1463–1466, 1998.
- R. D. Vispute, V. Talyansky, S. Choopun et al., “Heteroepitaxy of ZnO on GaN and its implications for fabrication of hybrid optoelectronic devices,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 348–350, 1998.
- K. K. Kim, J. H. Song, H. J. Jung, W. K. Choi, S. J. Park, and J. H. Song, “The grain size effects on the photoluminescence of ZnO/α-Al2O3 grown by radio-frequency magnetron sputtering,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 87, no. 7, pp. 3573–3575, 2000.
- X. Duan, Y. Huang, R. Agarwal, and C. M. Lieber, “Single-nanowire elecctrically driven lasers,” Nature, vol. 421, no. 6920, pp. 241–245, 2003.
- M. Law, D. J. Sirbuly, J. C. Johnson, J. Goldberger, R. J. Saykally, and P. Yang, “Nanoribbon waveguides for subwavelength photonics integration,” Science, vol. 305, no. 5688, pp. 1269–1273, 2004.
- C. J. Barrelet, A. B. Greytak, and C. M. Lieber, “Nanowire photonic circuit elements,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 1981–1985, 2004.
- A. B. Greytak, C. J. Barrelet, Y. Li, and C. M. Lieber, “Semiconductor nanowire laser and nanowire waveguide electro-optic modulators,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 87, no. 15, Article ID 151103, pp. 1–3, 2005.
- M. Willander, L. L. Yang, A. Wadeasa et al., “Zinc oxide nanowires: controlled low temperature growth and some electrochemical and optical nano-devices,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 1006–1018, 2009.
- H. Zhang, J. Wu, C. Zhai, N. Du, X. Ma, and D. Yang, “From ZnO nanorods to 3D hollow microhemispheres: solvothermal synthesis, photoluminescence and gas sensor properties,” Nanotechnology, vol. 18, no. 45, Article ID 455604, 2007.
- L. Liao, H. B. Lu, J. C. Li, C. Liu, D. J. Fu, and Y. L. Liu, “The sensitivity of gas sensor based on single ZnO nanowire modulated by helium ion radiation,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 91, no. 17, Article ID 173110, 2007.
- A. Wei, X. W. Sun, J. X. Wang et al., “Enzymatic glucose biosensor based on ZnO nanorod array grown by hydrothermal decomposition,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 89, no. 12, Article ID 123902, 2006.
- A. Umar, M. M. Rahman, S. H. Kim, and Y. B. Hahn, “ZnO nanonails: synthesis and their application as glucose biosensor,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 3216–3221, 2008.
- L. C. Tien, P. W. Sadik, D. P. Norton et al., “Hydrogen sensing at room temperature with Pt-coated ZnO thin films and nanorods,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 87, no. 22, Article ID 222106, pp. 1–3, 2005.
- T. J. Hsueh, S. J. Chang, C. L. Hsu, Y. R. Lin, and I. C. Chen, “Highly sensitive ZnO nanowire ethanol sensor with Pd adsorption,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 91, no. 5, Article ID 053111, 2007.
- Z. H. Ibupoto, S. M. U. Ali, C. O. Chey, K. Khun, O. Nur, and M. Willander, “Selective zinc ion detection by functionalised ZnO nanorods with ionophore,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 110, no. 10, Article ID 04702, 2011.
- Z. H. Ibupoto, S. M. U. Ali, K. Khun, C. O. Chey, O. Nur, and M. Willander, “ZnO nanorods based enzymatic biosensor for selective determination of penicillin,” Biosensors, vol. 1, pp. 153–163, 2011.
- Z. H. Ibupoto, S. M. U. Ali, K. Khun, and M. Willander, “L-ascorbic acid biosensor based on immobilized enzyme on ZnO nanorods,” Journal of Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 2, no. 3, Article ID 1000110, 2011.
- K. Khun, Z. H. Ibupoto, S. M. U. Ali, C. O. Chey, O. Nur, and M. Willander, “Iron ion sensor based on functionalized ZnO nanorods,” Electroanalysis, vol. 23, pp. 1–8, 2011.
- Q. H. Li, T. Gao, Y. G. Wang, and T. H. Wang, “Adsorption and desorption of oxygen probed from ZnO nanowire films by photocurrent measurements,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 86, no. 12, Article ID 123117, pp. 1–3, 2005.
- X. J. Huang and Y. K. Choi, “Chemical sensors based on nanostructured materials,” Sensors and Actuators, B, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 659–671, 2007.
- C. C. Li, Z. F. Du, L. M. Li, H. C. Yu, Q. Wan, and T. H. Wang, “Surface-depletion controlled gas sensing of ZnO nanorods grown at room temperature,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 91, no. 3, Article ID 032101, 2007.
- R. Ghosh, M. Dutta, and D. Basak, “Self-seeded growth and ultraviolet photoresponse properties of ZnO nanowire arrays,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 91, no. 7, Article ID 073108, 2007.
- Y. Qiu and S. Yang, “ZnO nanotetrapods: controlled vapor-phase synthesis and application for humidity sensing,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 1345–1352, 2007.
- J. Y. Park, D. E. Song, and S. S. Kim, “An approach to fabricating chemical sensors based on ZnO nanorod arrays,” Nanotechnology, vol. 19, no. 10, Article ID 105503, 2008.
- S. J. Weese, K. Gosnell, P. West, and S. S. Gropper, “Galactose content of baby food meats: considerations for infants with galactosemia,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 373–375, 2003.
- S. Segal, A. Blair, and H. Roth, “The metabolism of galactose by patients with congenital galactosemia,” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 62–70, 1965.
- A. F. Winder, P. Fells, and R. B. Jones, “Galactose intolerance and the risk of cataract,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 66, no. 7, pp. 438–441, 1982.
- G. T. Berry, J. V. Hunter, Z. Wang et al., “In vivo evidence of brain galactitol accumulation in an infant with galactosemia and encephalopathy,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 260–262, 2001.
- M. Ruiz, S. Jover, M. Armas et al., “Galactosaemia presenting as congenital pseudoafibrinogenaemia,” Journal of Inherited Metabolic Disease, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 943–944, 1999.
- N. V. Guerrero, R. H. Singh, A. Manatunga, G. T. Berry, R. D. Steiner, and L. J. Elsas II, “Risk factors for premature ovarian failure in females with galactosemia,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 137, no. 6, pp. 833–841, 2000.
- K. G. Petry and J. K. V. Reichardt, “The fundamental importance of human galactose metabolism: lessons from genetics and biochemistry,” Trends in Genetics, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 98–102, 1998.
- S. A. Hansen, “Thin-layer chromatographic method for the identification of mono-, di- and trisaccharides,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 224–226, 1975.
- S. L. Wehrli, R. Reynolds, J. Chen, C. Yager, and S. Segal, “Metabolism of 13C galactose by lymphoblasts from patients with galactosemia determined by NMR spectroscopy,” Molecular Genetics and Metabolism, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 296–303, 2002.
- V. Rajendran and J. Irudayaraj, “Detection of glucose, galactose, and lactose in milk with a microdialysis-coupled flow injection amperometric sensor,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 1357–1361, 2002.
- D. Schumacher, J. Vogel, and U. Lerche, “Construction and applications of an enzyme electrode for determination of galactose and galactose-containing saccharides,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 85–89, 1994.
- N. Watanabe and S. Kawasaki, “Determination of galactose in human plasma by HPLC with electrochemical detection,” Biomedical Chromatography, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 95–98, 1987.
- E. E. Szabó, N. Adányi, and M. Váradi, “Application of biosensor for monitoring galactose content,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 1051–1058, 1996.
- E. Ekinci and A. Paşahan, “Poly (4-methoxyphenol) film as a galactose-sensing material,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1605–1608, 2004.
- S. K. Sharma, S. K. Singh, N. Sehgal, and A. Kumar, “Biostrip technique for detection of galactose in dairy foods,” Food Chemistry, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 299–303, 2004.
- S. K. Sharma, R. Singhal, B. D. Malhotra, N. Sehgal, and A. Kumar, “Langmuir-Blodgett film based biosensor for estimation of galactose in milk,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 49, no. 15, pp. 2479–2485, 2004.
- S. K. Sharma, R. Singhal, B. D. Malhotra, N. Sehgal, and A. Kumar, “Biosensor based on Langmuir-Blodgett films of poly(3-hexyl thiophene) for detection of galactose in human blood,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 645–647, 2004.
- J. Wang, S. He, S. Zhang et al., “Controllable synthesis of zno nanostructures by a simple solution route,” Materials Science- Poland, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 477–484, 2009.
- R. H. Garret and C. M. Grisham, Biochemistry, Saunders College Publishing, Orlando, Fla, USA, 1995.
- J. A. Cooper, W. Smith, M. Bacila, and H. Medina, “Galactose oxidase from Polyporus circinatus,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 234, no. 3, pp. 445–448, 1959.
- S. K. Sharma, Suman, C. S. Pundir, N. Sehgal, and A. Kumar, “Galactose sensor based on galactose oxidase immobilized in polyvinyl formal,” Sensors and Actuators, B, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 15–19, 2006.
- K. N. Lee, Y. Lee, and Y. Son, “Enhanced sensitivity of a galactose biosensor fabricated with a bundle of conducting Polymer microtubules,” Electroanalysis, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 2125–2130, 2011.
- E. Evik, M. Şenel, and M. Fatih Abasyank, “Construction of biosensor for determination of galactose with galactose oxidase immobilized on polymeric mediator contains ferrocene,” Current Applied Physics, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 1313–1316, 2010.