- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Skin Cancer
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 972497, 6 pages
Outcomes of Recurrent Head and Neck Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma
1Division of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Surgery, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Volker Hall G082,1670 University Boulevard, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
2Division of Preventive Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 25294, USA
Received 10 March 2011; Accepted 18 April 2011
Academic Editor: S. Ugurel
Copyright © 2011 Nichole R. Dean et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Alam and D. Ratner, “Cutaneous squamous-cell carcinoma,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 344, no. 13, pp. 975–983, 2001.
- R. T. Greenlee, M. B. Hill-Harmon, T. Murray, and M. Thun, “Cancer statistics, 2001,” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 15–36, 2001.
- A. K. Joseph, T. L. Mark, and C. Mueller, “The period prevalence and costs of treating nonmelanoma skin cancers in patients over 65 years of age covered by medicare,” Dermatologic Surgery, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 955–959, 2001.
- M. G. Joseph, W. P. Zulueta, and P. J. Kennedy, “Squamous cell carcinoma of the skin of the trunk and limbs: the incidence of metastases and their outcome,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery, vol. 62, no. 9, pp. 697–701, 1992.
- D. Czarnecki, M. Staples, A. Mar, G. Giles, and C. Meehan, “Metastases from squamous cell carcinoma of the skin in southern Australia,” Dermatology, vol. 189, no. 1, pp. 52–54, 1994.
- M. J. Veness, “Treatment recommendations in patients diagnosed with high-risk cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma,” Australasian Radiology, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 365–376, 2005.
- C. J. O'Brien, E. B. McNeil, J. D. McMahon, I. Pathak, C. S. Lauer, and M. A. Jackson, “Significance of clinical stage, extent of surgery, and pathologic findings in metastatic cutaneous squamous carcinoma of the parotid gland,” Head and Neck, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 417–422, 2002.
- B. S. Cherpelis, C. Marcusen, and P. G. Lang, “Prognostic factors for metastasis in squamous cell carcinoma of the skin,” Dermatologic Surgery, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 268–273, 2002.
- M. J. Veness, S. Porceddu, C. E. Palme, and G. J. Morgan, “Cutaneous head and neck squamous cell carcinoma metastatic to parotid and cervical lymph nodes,” Head and Neck, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 621–631, 2007.
- M. J. Veness, G. J. Morgan, C. E. Palme, and V. Gebski, “Surgery and adjuvant radiotherapy in patients with cutaneous head and neck squamous cell carcinoma metastatic to lymph nodes: combined treatment should be considered best practice,” Laryngoscope, vol. 115, no. 5, pp. 870–875, 2005.
- M. J. Veness, C. E. Palme, M. Smith, B. Cakir, G. J. Morgan, and I. Kalnins, “Cutaneous head and neck squamous cell carcinoma metastatic to cervical lymph nodes (nonparotid): a better outcome with surgery and adjuvant radiotherapy,” Laryngoscope, vol. 113, no. 10, pp. 1827–1833, 2003.
- S. Kim, M. Eleff, and N. Nicolaou, “Cetuximab as primary treatment for cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma to the neck,” Head and Neck, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 286–288, 2011.
- J. K. Suen, L. Bressler, S. S. Shord, M. Warso, and J. L. Villano, “Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma responding serially to single-agent cetuximab,” Anti-Cancer Drugs, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 827–829, 2007.
- J. E. Bauman, K. D. Eaton, and R. G. Martins, “Treatment of recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the skin with cetuximab,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 143, no. 7, pp. 889–892, 2007.
- E. E. Cohen, D. W. Davis, T. G. Karrison et al., “Erlotinib and bevacizumab in patients with recurrent or metastatic squamous-cell carcinoma of the head and neck: a phase I/II study,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 247–257, 2009.
- E. E. W. Cohen, F. Rosen, W. M. Stadler et al., “Phase II trial of ZD1839 in recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1980–1987, 2003.
- J. S. W. Stewart, E. E. W. Cohen, L. Licitra et al., “Phase III study of gefitinib 250 compared with intravenous methotrexate for recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 1864–1871, 2009.
- K. A. Gold, H. Y. Lee, and E. S. Kim, “Targeted therapies in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck,” Cancer, vol. 115, no. 5, pp. 922–935, 2009.
- D. Soulieres, N. N. Senzer, E. E. Vokes, M. Hidalgo, S. S. Agarvala, and L. L. Siu, “Multicenter phase II study of erlotinib, an oral epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with recurrent or metastatic squamous cell cancer of the head and neck,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 77–85, 2004.
- D. Lee, M. Nash, and G. Har-El, “Regional spread of auricular and periauricular cutaneous malignancies,” Laryngoscope, vol. 106, no. 8, pp. 998–1001, 1996.
- L. E. Afzelius, M. Gunnarsson, and H. Nordgren, “Guidelines for prophylactic radical lymph node dissection in cases of carcinoma of the external ear,” Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 361–365, 1980.
- C. J. O'Brien, E. B. McNeil, J. D. McMahon, I. Pathak, and C. S. Lauer, “Incidence of cervical node involvement in metastatic cutaneous malignancy involving the parotid gland,” Head and Neck, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 744–748, 2001.
- Y. L. M. Ying, J. T. Johnson, and E. N. Myers, “Squamous cell carcinoma of the parotid gland,” Head and Neck, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 626–632, 2006.
- T. J. Vauterin, M. J. Veness, G. J. Morgan, M. G. Poulsen, and C. J. O'Brien, “Patterns of lymph node spread of cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck,” Head and Neck, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 785–791, 2006.
- G. L. Clayman, J. J. Lee, F. C. Holsinger et al., “Mortality risk from squamous cell skin cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 759–765, 2005.
- H. Goepfert, W. J. Dichtel, J. E. Medina, R. D. Lindberg, and M. D. Luna, “Perineural invasion in squamous cell skin carcinoma of the head and neck,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 148, no. 4, pp. 542–547, 1984.
- D. E. Rowe, R. J. Carroll, and C. L. Day, “Prognostic factors for local recurrence, metastasis, and survival rates in squamous cell carcinoma of the skin, ear, and lip: implications for treatment modality selection,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 976–990, 1992.