- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Skin Cancer
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 231693, 6 pages
Rising Incidence of Mucosal Melanoma of the Head and Neck in the United States
1Department of Radiation Oncology, Emory University, 1365 Clifton Road NE, Suite AT225, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
2Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
3Department of Dermatology, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
4Department of Hematology/Oncology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
5Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
6Department of Otolaryngology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Received 28 September 2012; Accepted 19 November 2012
Academic Editor: Lionel Larue
Copyright © 2012 David M. Marcus et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Siegel, E. M. Ward, O. Brawley, and A. Jemal, “Cancer statistics, 2011: the impact of eliminating socioeconomic and racial disparities on premature cancer deaths,” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 212–236, 2011.
- Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program, National Cancer Institute, 2011.
- L. A. Ries, P. A. Wingo, D. S. Miller, et al., “The annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1973–1997, with a special section on colorectal cancer,” Cancer, vol. 88, no. 10, pp. 2398–2424, 2000.
- B. A. Gilchrest, M. S. Eller, A. C. Geller, and M. Yaar, “The pathogenesis of melanoma induced by ultraviolet radiation,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 340, no. 17, pp. 1341–1348, 1999.
- A. E. Chang, L. H. Karnell, and H. R. Menck, “The National Cancer Data Base report on cutaneous and noncutaneous melanoma: a summary of 84, 836 cases from the past decade. The American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer and the American Cancer Society,” Cancer, vol. 83, no. 8, pp. 1664–1678, 1998.
- C. C. McLaughlin, X. C. Wu, A. Jemal, H. J. Martin, L. M. Roche, and V. W. Chen, “Incidence of noncutaneous melanomas in the U.S,” Cancer, vol. 103, no. 5, pp. 1000–1007, 2005.
- ICD-0-3: International Classification of Diseases for Oncology, World Health Organization, 3rd edition, 2000.
- H. J. Kim, M. P. Fay, E. J. Feuer, and D. N. Midthune, “Permutation tests for joinpoint regression with applications to cancer rates,” Statistics in Medicine, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 335–351, 2000.
- S. C. Patel, W. R. Carpenter, S. Tyree et al., “Increasing incidence of oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma in young white women, age 18 to 44 years,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1488–1494, 2011.
- A. K. Chaturvedi, E. A. Engels, W. F. Anderson, and M. L. Gillison, “Incidence trends for human papillomavirus-related and -unrelated oral squamous cell carcinomas in the United States,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 612–619, 2008.
- U.S. Bureau of Census, Census 2000, Summary File 1, Table DP-1.
- S. G. Patel, M. L. Prasad, M. Escrig et al., “Primary mucosal malignant melanoma of the head and neck,” Head and Neck, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 247–257, 2002.
- M. Guzzo, C. Grandi, L. Licitra, S. Podrecca, N. Cascinelli, and R. Molinari, “Mucosal malignant melanoma of head and neck: forty-eight cases treated at Istituto Nazionale Tumori of Milan,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 316–319, 1993.
- S. J. Stern and O. M. Guillamondegui, “Mucosal melanoma of the head and neck,” Head and Neck, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 22–27, 1991.
- S. Temam, G. Mamelle, P. Marandas et al., “Postoperative radiotherapy for primary mucosal melanoma of the head and neck,” Cancer, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 313–319, 2005.
- N. W. Yii, T. Eisen, M. Nicolson et al., “Mucosal malignant melanoma of the head and neck: the Marsden experience over half a century,” Clinical Oncology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 199–204, 2003.
- H. Gavriel, G. McArthur, A. Sizeland, and M. Henderson, “Review: mucosal melanoma of the head and neck,” Melanoma Research, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 257–266, 2011.
- J. M. Owens, D. B. Roberts, and J. N. Myers, “The role of postoperative adjuvant radiation therapy in the treatment of mucosal melanomas of the head and neck region,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 129, no. 8, pp. 864–868, 2003.
- M. Meleti, C. R. Leemans, R. De Bree, P. Vescovi, E. Sesenna, and I. Van Der Waal, “Head and neck mucosal melanoma: experience with 42 patients, with emphasis on the role of postoperative radiotherapy,” Head and Neck, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 1543–1551, 2008.
- A. Benlyazid, J. Thariat, S. Temam et al., “Postoperative radiotherapy in head and neck mucosal melanoma: a GETTEC study,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 136, no. 12, pp. 1219–1225, 2010.
- A. Jemal, S. S. Devesa, P. Hartge, and M. A. Tucker, “Recent trends in cutaneous melanoma incidence among whites in the United States,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 93, no. 9, pp. 678–683, 2001.
- E. P. Simard, E. M. Ward, M. P. H. Rebecca Siegel, D. V. M. Ahmedin Jemal, et al., “Cancers with increasing incidence trends in the United States: 1999 through 2008,” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 118–128, 2012.
- A. J. Miller and M. C. Mihm, “Melanoma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, no. 1, pp. 51–10, 2006.
- N. Clifton, L. Harrison, P. J. Bradley, and N. S. Jones, “Malignant melanoma of nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses: report of 24 patients and literature review,” Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 125, no. 5, pp. 479–485, 2011.
- L. Dahlgren, K. Schedvins, L. Kanter-Lewensohn, T. Dalianis, and B. K. Ragnarsson-Olding, “Human papilloma virus (HPV) is rarely detected in malignant melanomas of sun sheltered mucosal membranes,” Acta Oncologica, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 694–699, 2005.
- G. Papaspyrou, C. Garbe, D. Schadendorf, et al., “Mucosal melanomas of the head and neck: new aspects of the clinical outcome, molecular pathology, and treatment with c-kit inhibitors,” Melanoma Research, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 475–482, 2011.
- D. Jethanamest, P. M. Vila, A. G. Sikora, and L. G. T. Morris, “Predictors of survival in mucosal melanoma of the head and neck,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 2748–2756, 2011.
- W. M. Mendenhall, R. J. Amdur, R. W. Hinerman, J. W. Werning, D. B. Villaret, and N. P. Mendenhall, “Head and neck mucosal melanoma,” American Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 626–630, 2005.
- L. D. R. Thompson, J. A. Wieneke, and M. Miettinen, “Sinonasal tract and nasopharyngeal melanomas: a clinicopathologic study of 115 cases with a proposed staging system,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 594–611, 2003.