- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Skin Cancer
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 404615, 5 pages
Melanoma in Organ Transplant Recipients: Incidence, Outcomes and Management Considerations
The Dermatology Centre and Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, University of Manchester and Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester M6 8HD, UK
Received 8 August 2012; Accepted 2 November 2012
Academic Editor: Giuseppe Argenziano
Copyright © 2012 Faisal R. Ali and John T. Lear. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Hariharan, C. P. Johnson, B. A. Bresnahan, S. E. Taranto, M. J. McIntosh, and D. Stablein, “Improved graft survival after renal transplantation in the United States, 1988 to 1996,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 342, no. 9, pp. 605–612, 2000.
- S. Euvrard, J. Kanitakis, and A. Claudy, “Skin cancers after organ transplantation,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 17, pp. 1681–1691, 2003.
- E. A. Engels, R. M. Pfeiffer, J. F. Fraumeni Jr., et al., “Spectrum of cancer risk among US solid organ transplant recipients,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 306, no. 17, pp. 1891–1901, 2011.
- V. Madan, J. T. Lear, and R. M. Szeimies, “Non-melanoma skin cancer,” The Lancet, vol. 375, no. 9715, pp. 673–685, 2010.
- NICE, “Improving outcomes for patients with skin tumours including melanoma: the manual (2006 guidance),” National Institute of Clinical Excellence, 2006.
- M. H. Greene, T. I. Young, and W. H. Clark Jr., “Malignant melanoma in renal-transplant recipients,” The Lancet, vol. 1, no. 8231, pp. 1196–1199, 1981.
- J. D. Brewer, L. J. Christenson, A. L. Weaver et al., “Malignant melanoma in solid transplant recipients: collection of database cases and comparison with surveillance, epidemiology, and end results data for outcome analysis,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 147, no. 7, pp. 790–796, 2011.
- R. N. Matin, D. Mesher, C. M. Proby et al., “Melanoma in organ transplant recipients: clinicopathological features and outcome in 100 cases,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 1891–1900, 2008.
- I. Penn, “Malignant melanoma in organ allograft recipients,” Transplantation, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 274–278, 1996.
- L. Le Mire, K. Hollowood, D. Gray, C. Bordea, and F. Wojnarowska, “Melanomas in renal transplant recipients,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 154, no. 3, pp. 472–477, 2006.
- J. N. Bouwes Bavinck, D. R. Hardie, A. Green et al., “The risk of skin cancer in renal transplant recipients in Queensland, Australia: a follow-up study,” Transplantation, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 715–721, 1996.
- A. G. R. Sheil, “Cancer after transplantation,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 389–396, 1986.
- B. Lindelöf, B. Sigurgeirsson, H. Gäbel, and R. S. Stern, “Incidence of skin cancer in 5356 patients following organ transplantation,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 143, no. 3, pp. 513–519, 2000.
- Q. Q. Dinh and A. H. Chong, “Melanoma in organ transplant recipients: the old enemy finds a new battleground,” Australasian Journal of Dermatology, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 199–207, 2007.
- C. M. Vajdic, S. P. McDonald, M. R. E. McCredie et al., “Cancer incidence before and after kidney transplantation,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 296, no. 23, pp. 2823–2831, 2006.
- I. Penn, “De novo malignances in pediatric organ transplant recipients,” Pediatric Transplantation, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 56–63, 1998.
- P. Jensen, S. Hansen, B. Moller et al., “Skin cancer in kidney and heart transplant recipients and different long-term immunosuppressive therapy regimens,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 40, no. 2, part 1, pp. 177–186, 1999.
- J. M. Thomas, J. Newton-Bishop, R. A'Hern et al., “Excision margins in high-risk malignant melanoma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 8, pp. 757–766, 2004.
- J. R. Marsden, J. A. Newton-Bishop, L. Burrows et al., “Revised UK guidelines for the management of cutaneous melanoma 2010,” Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 1401–1419, 2010.
- C. C. Otley, D. Berg, C. Ulrich et al., “Reduction of immunosuppression for transplant-associated skin cancer: expert consensus survey,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 154, no. 3, pp. 395–400, 2006.
- F. O. Zwald, L. J. Christenson, E. M. Billingsley et al., “Melanoma in solid organ transplant recipients,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 1297–1304, 2010.
- C. C. Otley, M. D. Griffin, M. R. Charlton, B. S. Edwards, M. Neuburg, and T. Stasko, “Reduction of immunosuppression for transplant-associated skin cancer: thresholds and risks,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 157, no. 6, pp. 1183–1188, 2007.
- S. Euvrard, E. Morelon, L. Rostaing, et al., “Sirolimus and secondary skin-cancer prevention in kidney transplantation,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 367, no. 4, pp. 329–339, 2012.
- G. E. Koehl, J. Andrassy, M. A. Guba et al., “Rapamycin protects allografts from rejection while simultaneously attacking tumors in immunosuppressed mice,” Transplantation, vol. 77, no. 9, pp. 1319–1326, 2004.
- D. C. Strauss and J. M. Thomas, “Transmission of donor melanoma by organ transplantation,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 790–796, 2010.
- K. L. Lentine, A. Vijayan, H. Xiao, et al., “Cancer diagnoses after living kidney donation: linking U.S. registry data and administrative claims,” Transplantation, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 139–144, 2012.
- E. F. Scanlon, R. A. Hawkins, W. W. Fox, and W. S. Smith, “Fatal homotransplanted melanoma: a case report,” Cancer, vol. 18, pp. 782–789, 1965.
- D. Jeremy, R. H. Farnsworth, M. R. Robertson, D. L. Annetts, and G. F. Murnaghan, “Transplantation of malignant melanoma with cadaver kidney,” Transplantation, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 619–620, 1972.
- M. S. Peters and I. D. Stuard, “Metastatic malignant melanoma transplanted via a renal homograft. A case report,” Cancer, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 2426–2430, 1978.
- R. M. Fairman, R. A. Grossman, C. F. Barker, and L. J. Perloff, “Inadvertent transplantation of a melanoma,” Transplantation, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 328–330, 1980.
- L. J. Wilson, R. T. Horvat, L. Tilzer, A. M. Meis, L. Montag, and M. Huntrakoon, “Identification of donor melanoma in a renal transplant recipient,” Diagnostic Molecular Pathology B, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 266–271, 1992.
- G. J. Elder, P. Hersey, and P. Branley, “Remission of transplanted melanoma—clinical course and tumour cell characterisation,” Clinical Transplantation, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 565–568, 1997.
- M. G. Suranyi, P. G. Hogan, M. C. Falkk et al., “Advanced donor origin melanoma in a renal transplant recipient: immunotherapy, cure, and retransplantation,” Transplantation, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 655–661, 1998.
- J. K. Stephens, G. T. Everson, C. L. Elliott et al., “Fatal transfer of malignant melanoma from multiorgan donor to four allograft recipients,” Transplantation, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 232–236, 2000.
- R. M. MacKie, R. Reid, and B. Junor, “Fatal melanoma transferred in a donated kidney 16 years after melanoma surgery,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 6, pp. 567–568, 2003.
- G. Morris-Stiff, A. Steel, P. Savage et al., “Transmission of donor melanoma to multiple organ transplant recipients,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 444–446, 2004.
- G. Zavos, I. Papaconstantinou, C. Chrisostomidis, and A. Kostakis, “Metastatic melanoma within a transplanted kidney: a case report,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 1411–1412, 2004.
- C. A. Milton, J. Barbara, J. Cooper, M. Rao, C. Russell, and G. Russ, “The transmission of donor-derived malignant melanoma to a renal allograft recipient,” Clinical Transplantation, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 547–550, 2006.
- M. Cankovic, M. D. Linden, and R. J. Zarbo, “Use of microsatellite analysis in detection of tumor lineage as a cause of death in a liver transplant patient,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 130, no. 4, pp. 529–532, 2006.
- A. W. Loren, S. Desai, R. C. Gorman, and L. M. Schuchter, “Retransplantation of a cardiac allograft inadvertently harvested from a donor with metastatic melanoma,” Transplantation, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 741–743, 2003.
- H. Tsao, A. B. Cosimi, and A. J. Sober, “Ultra-late recurrence (15 years or longer) of cutaneous melanoma,” Cancer, vol. 79, no. 12, pp. 2361–2370, 1997.
- J. F. Buell, T. M. Beebe, J. Trofe et al., “Donor transmitted malignancies,” Annals of Transplantation, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 53–56, 2004.
- N. S. Bajaj, C. Watt, D. Hadjiliadis et al., “Donor transmission of malignant melanoma in a lung transplant recipient 32 years after curative resection,” Transplant International, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. e26–e31, 2010.