- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Skin Cancer
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 706452, 6 pages
Neurotropic Melanoma: The Management of Localised Disease
1Radiation Oncology Queensland, Liz Plummer Cancer Center, Lake and Grove Streets, Cairns, QLD 4870, Australia
2Division of Cancer Services, Princess Alexandra Hospital, University of Queensland, 199 Ipswich Road Woolloongabba, QLD 4102, Australia
Received 6 August 2012; Accepted 23 September 2012
Academic Editor: Giuseppe Argenziano
Copyright © 2012 Jeremy Croker et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. C. Foote, B. Burmeister, E. Burmeister, G. Bayley, and B. M. Smithers, “Desmoplastic melanoma: the role of radiotherapy in improving local control,” ANZ Journal of Surgery, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 273–276, 2008.
- T. D. Anderson, R. S. Weber, D. Guerry et al., “Desmoplastic neurotropic melanoma of the head and neck: the role of radiation therapy,” Head and Neck, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1068–1071, 2002.
- M. B. Lens, J. A. Newton-Bishop, and A. P. Boon, “Desmoplastic malignant melanoma: a systematic review,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 152, no. 4, pp. 673–678, 2005.
- J. Y. Chen, G. Hruby, R. A. Scolyer et al., “Desmoplastic neurotropic melanoma: a clinicopathologic analysis of 128 cases,” Cancer, vol. 113, no. 10, pp. 2770–2778, 2008.
- S. W. McCarthy, R. A. Scolyer, and A. A. Palmer, “Desmoplastic melanoma: a diagnostic trap for the unwary,” Pathology, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 445–451, 2004.
- J. A. Carlson, G. R. Dickersin, A. J. Sober, and R. L. Barnhill, “Desmoplastic neurotropic melanoma. A clinicopathologic analysis of 28 cases,” Cancer, vol. 75, pp. 478–494, 1995.
- D. Lin, M. Kashani-Sabet, T. McCalmont, and M. I. Singer, “Neurotropic melanoma invading the inferior alveolar nerve,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. S120–S122, 2005.
- R. Murali, H. M. Shaw, K. Lai et al., “Prognostic factors in cutaneous desmoplastic melanoma: a study of 252 patients,” Cancer, vol. 116, no. 17, pp. 4130–4138, 2010.
- S. C. Baer, D. Schultz, M. Synnestvedt, and D. E. Elder, “Desmoplasia and neurotropism. Prognostic variables in patients with stage I melanoma,” Cancer, vol. 76, pp. 2242–2247, 1995.
- D. P. Livestro, A. Muzikansky, E. M. Kaine et al., “Biology of desmoplastic melanoma: a case-control comparison with other melanomas,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 27, pp. 6739–6746, 2005.
- J. Conley, R. Lattes, and W. Orr, “Desmoplastic malignant melanoma (a rare variant of spindle cell melanoma),” Cancer, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 914–936, 1971.
- M. J. Quinn, K. A. Crotty, J. F. Thompson, A. S. Coates, C. J. O'Brien, and W. H. McCarthy, “Desmoplastic and desmoplastic neurotropic melanoma: experience with 280 patients,” Cancer, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 1128–1135, 1998.
- R. J. Reed and D. D. Leonard, “Neurotropic melanoma. A variant of desmoplastic melanoma,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 301–311, 1979.
- P. A. Kay, A. D. Pinheiro, C. M. Lohse et al., “Desmoplastic melanoma of the head and neck: histopathologic and immunohistochemical study of 28 cases,” International Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 17–24, 2004.
- V. Winnepenninckx, R. de Vos, M. Stas, and J. J. van den Oord, “New phenotypical and ultrastructural findings in spindle cell (desmoplastic/neurotropic) melanoma,” Applied Immunohistochemistry and Molecular Morphology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 319–325, 2003.
- R. L. Barnhill and J. L. Bolognia, “Neurotropic melanoma with prominent melanization,” Journal of Cutaneous Pathology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 450–459, 1995.
- K. E. Posther, M. A. Selim, P. J. Mosca et al., “Histopathologic characteristics, recurrence patterns, and survival of 129 patients with desmoplastic melanoma,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 728–739, 2006.
- P. C. Chang, N. J. Fischbein, T. H. McCalmont et al., “Perineural spread of malignant melanoma of the head and neck: clinical and imaging features,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 5–11, 2004.
- S. S. Banerjee and M. Harris, “Morphological and immunophenotypic variations in malignant melanoma,” Histopathology, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 387–402, 2000.
- H. E. Newlin, C. G. Morris, R. J. Amdur, and W. M. Mendenhall, “Neurotropic melanoma of the head and neck with clinical perineural invasion,” American Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 399–402, 2005.
- T. Papadopoulos, K. Rasiah, J. F. Thompson, M. J. Quinn, and K. A. Crotty, “Melanoma of the nose,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 84, no. 7, pp. 986–989, 1997.
- V. de Giorgi, S. Sestini, D. Massi, and T. Lotti, “Melanocytic aggregation in the skin: diagnostic clues from lentigines to melanoma,” Dermatologic Clinics, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 303–320, 2007.
- D. E. Jaroszewski, B. A. Pockaj, D. J. DiCaudo, and U. Bite, “The clinical behavior of desmoplastic melanoma,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 182, no. 6, pp. 590–595, 2001.
- E. E. Mack and E. C. Gomez, “Neurotropic melanoma. A case report and review of the literature,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 165–171, 1992.
- H. Walters, E. Lewis, R. Wolper, A. T. Yachnis, J. Green, and S. Lewis, “Neurotropic melanoma of the trigeminal nerve: a case of atypical facial pain,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 547–550, 2008.
- G. Moulin-Romsee, M. Benamor, and S. Neuenschwander, “Desmoplastic neurotropic melanoma in a patient with trigeminal neuralgia: FDG PET/CT and MRI,” Clinical Nuclear Medicine, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 353–355, 2008.
- B. Egbert, R. Kempson, and R. Sagebiel, “Desmoplastic malignant melanoma. A clinicohistopathologic study of 25 cases,” Cancer, vol. 62, no. 9, pp. 2033–2041, 1988.
- S. Jain and P. W. Allen, “Desmoplastic malignant melanoma and its variants. A study of 45 cases,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 358–373, 1989.
- T. Murakami, T. Kiyosawa, S. Murata, K. Usui, M. Ohtsuki, and H. Nakagawa, “Malignant schwannoma with melanocytic differentiation arising in a patient with neurofibromatosis,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 143, no. 5, pp. 1078–1082, 2000.
- Z. K. Arbiser, A. L. Folpe, and S. W. Weiss, “Consultative (expert) second opinions in soft tissue pathology: analysis of problem-prone diagnostic situations,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 116, no. 4, pp. 473–476, 2001.
- R. Lazova, I. Tantcheva-Poor, and A. C. Sigal, “P75 nerve growth factor receptor staining is superior to S100 in identifying spindle cell and desmoplastic melanoma,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 852–858, 2010.
- B. M. Smithers, G. R. McLeod, and J. H. Little, “Desmoplastic melanoma: patterns of recurrence,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 186–190, 1992.