- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Skin Cancer
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 707260, 4 pages
HOX Gene Aberrant Expression in Skin Melanoma: A Review
Department of Dermatopathology, Liège University Hospital, 4000 Liège, Belgium
Received 3 July 2012; Revised 4 September 2012; Accepted 4 September 2012
Academic Editor: Giuseppe Argenziano
Copyright © 2012 Gérald E. Piérard and Claudine Piérard-Franchimont. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- U. Leiter and C. Garbe, “Epidemiology of melanoma and nonmelanoma skin cancer—the role of sunlight,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 624, pp. 89–103, 2008.
- P. Quatresooz and G. E. Piérard, “Malignant melanoma: from cell kinetics to micrometastases,” American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 77–86, 2011.
- G. E. Piérard, “Cell proliferation in malignant melanoma: relationship with neoplastic progression,” International Scholarly Research Network, vol. 2012, Article ID 828146, 12 pages, 2012.
- J. A. Carlson, J. S. Ross, A. Slominski et al., “Molecular diagnostics in melanoma,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 743–775, 2005.
- L. A. Fecher, S. D. Cummings, M. J. Keefe, and R. M. Alani, “Toward a molecular classification of melanoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 1606–1620, 2007.
- M. A. Reginster, C. Piérard-Franchimont, G. E. Piérard, and P. Quatresooz, “Molecular dermatopathology in malignant melanoma,” Dermatology Research and Practice, vol. 2012, Article ID 684032, 6 pages, 2012.
- J. Walter-Yohrling, X. Cao, M. Callahan et al., “Identification of genes expressed in malignant cells that promote invasion,” Cancer Research, vol. 63, no. 24, pp. 8939–8947, 2003.
- F. Ades and O. Metzger-Filho, “Targeting the cellular signalling: BRAF inhibition and beyond for the treatment of metastatic malignant melanoma,” Dermatology Research and Practice, vol. 2012, Article ID 259170, 2012.
- G. E. Piérard, F. Aubin, and P. Humbert, “Ipilimumab, a promising immunotherapy with increased overall survival in metastatic melanoma?” Dermatology Research and Practice, vol. 2012, Article ID 182157, 4 pages, 2012.
- C. Piérard-Franchimont and G. E. Piérard, “Metastatic melanoma: some hope from ipilimumab and vemurafenib,” Revue Medicale De Liège, vol. 67, pp. 64–68, 2012.
- I. Yajima, M. Y. Kumasaka, N. Dinh Thang et al., “RAS/RAF/MEK/ERK and P13K/PTEN/AKT signalling in malignant melanoma progression and therapy,” Dermatology Research and Practice, vol. 2012, Article ID 354191, 2012.
- P. Quatresooz, C. Piérard-Franchimont, F. Noel, and G. E. Piérard, “Thigmotropism of malignant melanoma cells,” Dermatology Research and Practice, vol. 2012, Article ID 362784, 6 pages, 2012.
- N. Claessens, G. E. Piérard, C. Piérard-Franchimont, J. E. Arrese, and P. Quatresooz, “Immunohistochemical detection of incipient melanoma micrometastases. Relationship with sentinel lymph node involvement,” Melanoma Research, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 107–110, 2005.
- P. Quatresooz, J. E. Arrese, C. Pierard-Franchimont, and G. E. Pierard, “Immunohistochemical aid at risk stratification of melanocytic neoplasms,” International journal of oncology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 211–216, 2004.
- P. Quatresooz, G. E. Piérard, C. Piérard-Franchimont, and The Mosan Study Group of Pigmented Tumors, “Molecular pathways supporting the proliferation staging of malignant melanoma,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 24, pp. 295–301, 2009.
- K. L. Scott, C. Nogueira, T. P. Heffernan et al., “Proinvasion metastasis drivers in early-stage melanoma are oncogenes,” Cancer Cell, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 92–103, 2011.
- C. Cillo, A. Faiella, M. Cantile, and E. Boncinelli, “Homeobox genes and cancer,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 248, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 1999.
- J. Deschamps and F. Meijlink, “Mammalian homeobox genes in normal development and neoplasia,” Critical reviews in oncogenesis, vol. 3, no. 1-2, pp. 117–173, 1992.
- F. Mavilio, “Regulation of vertebrate homeobox-containing genes by morphogens,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 212, no. 2, pp. 273–288, 1993.
- M. P. Scott, “Vertebrate homeobox gene nomenclature,” Cell, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 551–553, 1992.
- C. Cillo, “HOX genes in human cancers,” Invasion and Metastasis, vol. 14, no. 1–6, pp. 38–49, 1994.
- K. Maeda, J. I. Hamada, Y. Takahashi et al., “Altered expressions of HOX genes in human cutaneous malignant melanoma,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 436–441, 2005.
- S. Delval, A. Taminiau, J. Lamy et al., “The Pbx interactions motif of Hoxa1 is essential for its oncogenic activity,” PLoS One, vol. 6, Article ID e25247, 2011.
- K. Rhoads, G. Arderiu, A. Charboneau, S. L. Hansen, W. Hoffman, and N. Boudreau, “A role for Hox A5 in regulating angiogenesis and vascular patterning,” Lymphatic Research and Biology, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 240–252, 2005.
- J. Furuta, Y. Nobeyama, Y. Umebayashi, F. Otsuka, K. Kikuchi, and T. Ushijima, “Silencing of Peroxiredoxin 2 and aberrant methylation of 33 CpG islands in putative promoter regions in human malignant melanomas,” Cancer Research, vol. 66, no. 12, pp. 6080–6086, 2006.
- C. J. Ceol, Y. Houvras, J. Jane-Valbuena et al., “The histone methyltransferase SETDB1 is recurrently amplified in melanoma and accelerates its onset,” Nature, vol. 471, no. 7339, pp. 513–518, 2011.
- A. Carè, A. Silvani, E. Meccia et al., “HOXB7 constitutively activates basic fibroblast growth factor in melanomas,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 4842–4851, 1996.
- S. Braig, D. W. Mueller, T. Rothhammer, and A. K. Bosserhoff, “MicroRNA miR-196a is a central regulator of HOX-B7 and BMP4 expression in malignant melanoma,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 67, no. 20, pp. 3535–3548, 2010.
- F. Felicetti, L. Bottero, N. Felli et al., “Role of PLZF in melanoma progression,” Oncogene, vol. 23, no. 26, pp. 4567–4576, 2004.
- C. Cillo, M. Cantile, R. Mortarini, P. Barba, G. Parmiani, and A. Anichini, “Differential patterns of HOX gene expression are associated with specific integrin and ICAM profiles in clonal populations isolated from a single human melanoma metastasis,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 66, pp. 692–697, 1996.
- M. Cantile, G. Scognamiglio, A. Anniciello, et al., “Increased HOX C13 expression in metastatic melanoma progression,” Journal of Translational Medicine, vol. 10, no. 1, p. 91, 2012.
- D. W. Mueller and A. K. Bosserhoff, “MicroRNA miR-196a controls melanoma-associated genes by regulating HOX-C8 expression,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 129, no. 5, pp. 1064–1074, 2011.
- A. Taveira da Cruz and M. Galvonas-Jasiulionis, “miRNAs and melanoma: how are they connected?” Dermatology Research and Practice, vol. 2012, Article ID 528345, 2012.
- Y. Okubo, J. I. Hamada, Y. Takahashi et al., “Transduction of HOXD3-antisense into human melanoma cells results in decreased invasive and motile activities,” Clinical and Experimental Metastasis, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 503–511, 2002.
- M. Cantile, R. Franco, A. Tschan et al., “HOX D13 expression across 79 tumor tissue types,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 125, no. 7, pp. 1532–1541, 2009.
- A. I. Riker, S. A. Enkemann, O. Fodstad et al., “The gene expression profiles of primary and metastatic melanoma yields a transition point of tumor progression and metastasis,” BMC Medical Genomics, vol. 1, p. 13, 2008.
- W. Bordogna, J. D. Hudson, J. Buddle, D. C. Bennett, D. H. Beach, and A. Carnero, “EMX homeobox genes regulate microphthalmia and alter melanocyte biology,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 311, no. 1, pp. 27–38, 2005.
- R. Morgan, P. M. Pirard, L. Shears, J. Sohal, R. Pettengell, and H. S. Pandha, “Antagonism of HOX/PBX dimer formation blocks the in vivo proliferation of melanoma,” Cancer Research, vol. 67, no. 12, pp. 5806–5813, 2007.
- F. S. Jones, G. Chalepakis, P. Gruss, and G. M. Edelman, “Activation of the cytotactin promoter by the homeobox-containing gene Evx-1,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 2091–2095, 1992.
- F. S. Jones, E. A. Prediger, D. A. Bittner, E. M. De Robertis, and G. M. Edelman, “Cell adhesion molecules as targets for Hox genes: neural cell adhesion molecule promoter activity is modulated by cotransfection with Hox-2.5 and -2.4,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 2086–2090, 1992.
- F. S. Jones, B. D. Holst, O. Minowa, E. M. De Robertis, and G. M. Edelman, “Binding and transcriptional activation of the promoter for the neural cell adhesion molecule by HoxC6 (Hox-3.3),” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 90, no. 14, pp. 6557–6561, 1993.
- R. S. Goomer, B. D. Holst, I. C. Wood, F. S. Jones, and G. M. Edelman, “Regulation in vitro of an L-CAM enhancer by homeobox genes HoxD9 and HNF-1,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 91, no. 17, pp. 7985–7989, 1994.
- R. Halaban, B. S. Kwon, S. Ghosh, P. Delli Bovi, and A. Baird, “bFGF as an autocrine growth factor for human melanomas,” Oncogene Research, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 177–186, 1988.
- D. Becker, C. B. Meier, and M. Herlyn, “Proliferation of human malignant melanomas is inhibited by antisense oligodeoxynucleotides targeted against basic fibroblast growth factor,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 3685–3691, 1989.
- A. A. Seyhan, “RNAi: a potential new class of therapeutic for human genetic disease,” Human Genetics, vol. 30, pp. 1–23, 2011.