- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Skin Cancer
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 741397, 5 pages
Basal Cell Carcinoma in Asians: A Retrospective Analysis of Ten Patients
1School of Medicine, Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN 46202-3082, USA
2School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Received 31 March 2012; Accepted 10 May 2012
Academic Editor: M. Lebwohl
Copyright © 2012 Michael G. Moore and Richard G. Bennett. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Ikeda, Y. Kiyohara, and H. Mizutani, “Comparative aspects of melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers in Japan,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 204–209, 1989.
- F. Abreo and I. D. Sanusi, “Basal cell carcinoma in North American blacks: clinical and histopathologic study of 26 patients,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 1005–1011, 1991.
- M. A. Gohara, “Skin cancer in skins of color,” Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 441–445, 2008.
- S. J. Miller, “Biology of basal cell carcinoma, I,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 1–13, 1991.
- A. J. J. Emmett, “Surgical analysis and biological behaviour of 2277 basal cell carcinomas,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery, vol. 60, no. 11, pp. 855–863, 1990.
- M. Sexton, D. B. Jones, and M. E. Maloney, “Histologic pattern analysis of basal cell carcinoma: study of a series of 1039 consecutive neoplasms,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 1118–1126, 1990.
- R. P. Gallagher, B. Ma, D. I. McLean et al., “Trends in basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma of the skin from 1973 through 1987,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 413–421, 1990.
- E. Dahl, M. Aberg, A. Rausing, and E. L. Rausing, “Basal cell carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 70, pp. 104–108, 1992.
- T. Y. Chuang, A. Popescu, W. P. D. Su, and C. G. Chute, “Basal cell carcinoma. A population-based incidence study in Rochester, Minnesota,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 413–417, 1990.
- M. E. Maloney, D. B. Jones, and F. M. Sexton, “Pigmented basal cell carcinoma: investigation of 70 cases,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 74–78, 1992.
- R. K. Roenigk, J. L. Ratz, P. L. Bailin, and R. G. Wheeland, “Trends in the presentation and treatment of basal cell carcinomas,” Journal of Dermatologic Surgery and Oncology, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 860–865, 1986.
- D. Czarnecki, N. Collins, C. Meehan, T. O'Brien, S. Leahy, and C. Nash, “Basal-cell carcinoma in temperate and tropical Australia,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 874–875, 1992.
- A. J. Green, “Basal cell carcinoma in Queensland: a new trend,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 63–65, 1982.
- A. J. Swerdlow, “Seasonality of presentation of cutaneous melanoma, squamous cell cancer and basal cell cancer in the Oxford region,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 893–900, 1985.
- R. G. Mora and R. Burris, “Cancer of the skin in blacks: a review of 128 patients with basal-cell carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1436–1438, 1981.
- S. O. Itayemi and J. O. Oluwasanmi, “Basal cell carcinoma in Negro Nigerians,” Tropical and Geographical Medicine, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 425–428, 1974.
- D. A. Weigand, C. Haygood, and J. R. Gaylor, “Cell layers and density of Negro and Caucasian stratum corneum,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 563–568, 1974.
- R. A. Sturm, N. F. Box, and M. Ramsay, “Human pigmentation genetics: the difference is only skin deep,” BioEssays, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 712–721, 1998.
- B. K. Goh, P. Ang, Y. J. Wu, and C. L. Goh, “Characteristics of basal cell carcinoma amongst Asians in Singapore and a comparison between completely and incompletely excised tumors,” International Journal of Dermatology, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 561–564, 2006.
- T. Ono, M. Kitoh, and N. Kuriya, “Characterization of basal cell epithelioma in the Japanese,” Journal of Dermatology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 291–300, 1982.
- M. Tada and Y. Miki, “Malignant skin tumors among dermatology patients in university hospitals of Japan. A statistical survey 1971-1975,” Journal of Dermatology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 313–321, 1984.
- A. Kikuchi, H. Shimizu, and T. Nishikawa, “Clinical and histopathological characteristics of basal cell carcinoma in Japanese patients,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 132, no. 3, pp. 320–324, 1996.
- Y. Miki, “Basal cell epithelioma among Japanese,” Australasian Journal of Dermatology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 304–313, 1968.
- B. Zhang, N. Wang, and W. He, “Clinicopathologic analysis of 60 cases of basal cell carcinoma,” Chinese Medical Sciences Journal, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 121–122, 1993.
- G. T. Reizner, T. Y. Chuang, D. J. Elpern, J. L. Stone, and E. R. Farmer, “Basal cell carcinoma in Kauai, Hawaii: the highest documented incidence in the United States,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 184–189, 1993.
- M. Ichihashi, K. Naruse, S. Harada et al., “Trends in nonmelanoma skin cancer in Japan,” Recent Results in Cancer Research, vol. 139, pp. 263–273, 1995.
- T. Takenouchi, S. Nomoto, and M. Ito, “Factors influencing the linear depth of invasion of primary basal cell carcinoma,” Dermatologic Surgery, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 393–396, 2001.
- G. K. Kim, J. Q. del Rosso, and S. Bellew, “Skin cancer in asians part 1: nonmelanoma skin cancer,” Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 39–42, 2009.
- D. Koh, H. Wang, J. Lee, K. S. Chia, H. P. Lee, and C. L. Goh, “Basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and melanoma of the skin: analysis of the Singapore Cancer Registry data 1968–1997,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 148, no. 6, pp. 1161–1166, 2003.
- H. R. Jin, J. Y. Lee, W. L. Dong et al., “Primary facial skin cancer: clinical characteristics and surgical outcome in Chungbuk Province, Korea,” Journal of Korean Medical Science, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 279–282, 2005.
- M. A. Pathak and P. Nghiem, “Chapter 138: acute and chronic effects of the sun,” in Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine, I. M. Freedberg, A. Z. Eisen, K. Wolff, K. F. Austen, L. A. Goldsmith, and S. Katz, Eds., vol. 1, pp. 1598–1604, McGraw-Hill, Health Professions Division, New York, NY, USA, 5th edition, 2000.
- F. B. B. Yap, “Clinical characteristics of basal cell carcinoma in a tertiary hospital in Sarawak, Malaysia,” International Journal of Dermatology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 176–179, 2010.
- L. Y. Matsuoka, J. Wortsman, J. G. Haddad, P. Kolm, and B. W. Hollis, “Racial pigmentation and the cutaneous synthesis of vitamin D,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 536–538, 1991.
- N. G. Jablonski and G. Chaplin, “The evolution of human skin coloration,” Journal of Human Evolution, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 57–106, 2000.
- J. Sng, D. Koh, W. C. Siong, and T. B. Choo, “Skin cancer trends among Asians living in Singapore from 1968 to 2006,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 426–432, 2009.
- D. L. Miller and M. A. Weinstock, “Nonmelanoma skin cancer in the United States: incidence,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 774–778, 1994.