- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Skin Cancer
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 917346, 8 pages
Epidemiological Profile of Patients with Cutaneous Melanoma in a Region of Southern Brazil
Universidade Comunitária da Região de Chapecó-Unochapecó, Avenida Senador Atílio Fontana, 591-E. Efapi, Caixa Postal 1141 89809-000, Chapecó, SC, Brazil
Received 21 September 2011; Revised 20 December 2011; Accepted 29 December 2011
Academic Editor: Mohammed Kashani-Sabet
Copyright © 2012 Marcelo Moreno et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. A. Gilchrest, M. S. Eller, A. C. Geller, and M. Yaar, “The pathogenesis of melanoma induced by ultraviolet radiation,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 340, no. 17, pp. 1341–1348, 1999.
- M. J. Eide and M. A. Weinstock, “Association of UV index, latitude, and melanoma incidence in nonwhite populations,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 141, no. 4, pp. 477–481, 2005.
- J. Pearce, R. Barnett, and S. Kingham, “Slip! Slap! Slop! Cutaneous malignant melanoma incidence and social status in New Zealand, 1995–2000,” Health and Place, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 239–252, 2006.
- M. Parkin, F. Bray, J. Ferlay, and P. Pisani, “Global cancer statistics, 2002,” Ca-A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 74–108, 2005.
- M. B. Lens and M. Dawes, “Global perspectives of contemporary epidemiological trends of cutaneous malignant melanoma,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 150, no. 2, pp. 179–185, 2004.
- P. J. M. Salmon, W. C. Chan, J. Griffin, R. McKenzie, and M. Rademaker, “Extremely high levels of melanoma in Tauranga, New Zealand: possible causes and comparisons with Australia and the northern hemisphere,” Australasian Journal of Dermatology, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 208–216, 2007.
- A. T. Machado, B. R. Oliveira, A. Charles, et al., “Conduta para o melanoma cutâneo maligno,” Revista Médica de Minas Gerais, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 173–179, 2004.
- Instituto Nacional do Câncer (INCA), Estimates of cancer incidence n Brazil, 2012, http://www.inca.gov.br/estimativa/2012/index.asp?link=conteudo_view.asp&ID=5.
- AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT, Conscience Australia, http://www.australia.gov.au/.
- INSTITUTO BRASILEIRO DE GEOGRAFIA E BIOESTATÍSTICA (IBGE), Interactive Maps, http://www.mapas.ibge.gov.br/.
- GRUPO BRASILEIRO DE MELANOMA, http://www.gbm.org.br/.
- DATASUS, “Banco de Dados do Sistema Único de Saúde,” Informações de saúde: demográficas e socioeconômicas. Brasília, 2009.
- R. Marks, “Prevention and control of melanoma: the public health approach,” Ca-A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 199–216, 1996.
- N. M. Ferrari Jr., Estudo Epidemiológico Descritivo dos Doentes de Melanoma Cutâneo Acompanhados na Unidade de Melanoma da Santa Casa de São Paulo, Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil, 2006.
- C. M. Balch, S. J. Soong, M. B. Atkins et al., “An evidence-based staging system for cutaneous melanoma,” Ca-A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 131–149, 2004.
- H. O. Lancaster, “Some geographical aspects of the mortality from melanoma in Europeans,” The Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 43, no. 26, pp. 1082–1087, 1956.
- C. D. J. Holman and B. K. Armstrong, “Malignant melanoma of the skin,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 245–252, 1987.
- M. Boniol, E. D. Vries, J. W. Coebergh, and J. F. Doré, “Seasonal variation in the occurrence of cutaneous melanoma in Europe: influence of latitude. An analysis using the EUROCARE group of registries,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 126–132, 2005.
- L. Bakos, N. C. Masiero, R. M. Burttet et al., “Is season important for the diagnosis of cutaneous melanoma in southern Brazil? A 10-year hospital-based study,” International Journal of Dermatology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 44–47, 2010.
- C. T. Ammirati and G. J. Hruza, “Clinical presentations of cutaneous melanoma,” Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 33–46, 2005.
- S. L. Parker, T. Tong, S. Bolden, and P. A. Wingo, “Cancer statistics,” Ca-A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 5–27, 1996.
- R. C. Burton, “Malignant melanoma in the year 2000,” Ca-A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 209–213, 2000.
- M. Coory, M. Smithers, J. Aitken, P. Baade, and I. Ring, “Urban-rural differences in survival from cutaneous melanoma in Queensland,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 71–74, 2006.
- Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espaciais (INPE), Radiação ultravioleta: Satélite, http://www.satelite.cptec.inpe.br/uv/.
- C. R. Scoggins, M. I. Ross, D. S. Reintgen et al., “Gender-related differences in outcome for melanoma patients,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 243, no. 5, pp. 693–698, 2006.
- B. P. Gomez, N. Aragones, P. Gustavsson, V. Lope, G. López-Abente, and M. Pollán, “Socio-economic class, rurality and risk of cutaneous melanoma by site and gender in Sweden,” BMC Public Health, vol. 8, pp. 33–38, 2008.
- C. Caracò, U. Marone, G. Botti, E. Celentano, S. Lastoria, and N. Mozzillo, “Age as predictor in patients with cutaneous melanoma submitted to sentinel lymph node biopsy,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 970–973, 2006.
- D. K. Pruthi, R. Guilfoyle, Z. Nugent, M. C. Wiseman, and A. A. Demers, “Incidence and anatomic presentation of cutaneous malignant melanoma in central Canada during a 50-year period: 1956 to 2005,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 44–50, 2009.
- F. Rampen, “Malignant melanoma: sex differences in survival after evidence of distant metastasis,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 52–57, 1980.
- J. M. Naeyaert and L. Brochez, “Dysplastic nevi,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 12, pp. 1258–1259, 2004.
- N. C. Fernandes and J. L. R. Machado, “Clinical study of the congenital melanocytic naevi in the child and adolescent,” Anais Brasileiros de Dermatologia, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 129–135, 2009.
- S. Gandini, F. Sera, M. S. Cattaruzza et al., “Meta-analysis of risk factors for cutaneous melanoma: III. Family history, actinic damage and phenotypic factors,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 41, no. 14, pp. 2040–2059, 2005.
- M. J. Sneyd and B. Cox, “Clinical and histologic factors associated with melanoma thickness in New Zealand Europeans, Maori, and Pacific peoples,” Cancer, vol. 117, no. 11, pp. 2489–2498, 2011.
- R. Murali, M. T. Hughes, P. Fitzgerald, J. F. Thompson, and R. A. Scolyer, “Interobserver variation in the histopathologic reporting of key prognostic parameters, particularly clark level, affects pathologic staging of primary cutaneous melanoma,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 249, no. 4, pp. 641–647, 2009.
- D. L. Morton, J. F. Thompson, A. J. Cochran et al., “Sentinel-node biopsy or nodal observation in melanoma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, no. 13, pp. 1307–1317, 2006.
- A. J. Spillane, J. Winstanley, and J. F. Thompson, “Lymph node ratio in melanoma: a marker of variation in surgical quality?” Cancer, vol. 115, no. 11, pp. 2384–2387, 2009.
- J. E. Gershenwald, R. H. I. Andtbacka, V. G. Prieto et al., “Microscopic tumor burden in sentinel lymph nodes predicts synchronous nonsentinel lymph node involvement in patients with melanoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 26, pp. 4296–4303, 2008.
- E. Vries, F. I. Bray, J. W. W. Coebergh, and D. M. Parkin, “Changing epidemiology of malignant cutaneous melanoma in Europe 1953–1997: rising trends in incidence and mortality but recent stabilizations in western Europe and decreases in Scandinavia,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 119–126, 2003.
- H. I. Hall, D. R. Miller, J. D. Rogers, and B. Bewerse, “Update on the incidence and mortality from melanoma in the United States,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 1999.
- C. M. Balch, S. J. Soong, J. E. Gershenwald et al., “Prognostic factors analysis of 17,600 melanoma patients: validation of the American joint committee on cancer melanoma staging system,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 19, no. 16, pp. 3622–3634, 2001.
- A. E. Chang, L. H. Karnell, and H. R. Menck, “The national cancer data base report on cutaneous and noncutaneous melanoma: a summary of 84,836 cases from the past decade,” Cancer, vol. 83, no. 8, pp. 1664–1678, 1998.
- N. G. Proença, M. F. Bernardes, H. J. Muller, et al., “Fatores que influenciam sobre o prognóstico do melanoma maligno,” Anais Brasileiros de Dermatologia, vol. 66, no. 1, p. 19, 1991.
- P. R. Criado, C. Vasconcellos, J. A. Sittart et al., “Primary cutaneous malignant melanoma: retrospective studyfrom 1963 to 1997 at Hospital do servidor público estadual de são Paulo,” Revista da Associação Médica Brasileira, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 157–162, 1999.
- A. S. Gon, L. Minelli, and A. L. Guembarovski, “Primary cutaneous melanoma in londrina,” Anais Brasileiros de Dermatologia, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 413–426, 2001.