- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Skin Cancer
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 189342, 6 pages
Merkel Cell Carcinoma: Interdisciplinary Management of a Rare Disease
Department of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, Währinger Gürtel 18-20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Received 24 October 2012; Revised 21 December 2012; Accepted 28 December 2012
Academic Editor: Brett A. Miles
Copyright © 2013 Sven Schneider et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Agelli, X. L. Clegg, J. C. Becker, and D. E. Rollison, “The etiology and epidemiology of Merkel cell Carcinoma,” Current Problems in Cancer, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 14–37, 2010.
- M. Agelli and L. X. Clegg, “Epidemiology of primary Merkel cell carcinoma in the United States,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 823–841, 2003.
- V. Koljonen, H. Kukko, E. Tukiainen et al., “Incidence of Merkel cell carcinoma in renal transplant recipients,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 3231–3235, 2009.
- E. A. Engels, M. Frisch, J. J. Goedert, R. J. Biggar, and R. W. Miller, “Merkel cell carcinoma and HIV infection,” The Lancet, vol. 359, no. 9305, pp. 497–498, 2002.
- H. Feng, M. Shuda, Y. Chang, and P. S. Moore, “Clonal integration of a polyomavirus in human Merkel cell carcinoma,” Science, vol. 319, no. 5866, pp. 1096–1100, 2008.
- P. J. Allen, W. B. Bowne, D. P. Jaques, M. F. Brennan, K. Busam, and D. G. Coit, “Merkel cell carcinoma: prognosis and treatment of patients from a single institution,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 2300–2309, 2005.
- H. Medina-Franco, M. M. Urist, J. Fiveash, M. J. Heslin, K. I. Bland, and S. W. Beenken, “Multimodality treatment of merkel cell carcinoma: case series and literature review of 1024 cases,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 204–208, 2001.
- M. Heath, N. Jaimes, B. Lemos et al., “Clinical characteristics of Merkel cell carcinoma at diagnosis in 195 patients: the AEIOU features,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 375–381, 2008.
- P. T. H. Tai, E. Yu, J. Tonita, and J. Gilchrist, “Merkel cell carcinoma of the skin,” Journal of Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 186–195, 2000.
- C. K. Bichakjian, L. Lowe, C. D. Lao et al., “Merkel cell carcinoma: critical review with guidelines for multidisciplinary management,” Cancer, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2007.
- J. A. Santamaria-Barria, G. M. Boland, B. Y. Yeap, V. Nardi, D. Dias-Santagata, and J. C. Cusack Jr, “Merkel cell carcinoma: 30-year experience from a single institution,” Annals of Surgical Oncology. In press.
- R. Moll, A. Lowe, J. Laufer, and W. W. Franke, “Cytokeratin 20 in human carcinomas: a new histodiagnostic marker detected by monoclonal antibodies,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 140, no. 2, pp. 427–447, 1992.
- K. G. Lewis, M. A. Weinstock, A. L. Weaver, and C. C. Otley, “Adjuvant local irradiation for Merkel cell carcinoma,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 142, no. 6, pp. 693–700, 2006.
- P. Mojica, D. Smith, and J. D. I. Ellenhorn, “Adjuvant radiation therapy is associated with improved survival in merkel cell carcinoma of the skin,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 1043–1047, 2007.
- J. A. Meeuwissen, “The importance of postoperative radiation therapy in the treatment of Merkel cell carcinoma,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 325–331, 1995.
- W. H. Morrison, L. J. Peters, E. G. Silva, C. D. Wendt, K. Kian Ang, and H. Goepfert, “The essential role of radiation therapy in securing locoregional control of Merkel cell carcinoma,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 583–591, 1990.
- E. J. Junor, D. J. Hole, and C. R. Gillis, “Management of ovarian cancer: referral to a multidisciplinary team matters,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 363–370, 1994.
- M. R. Stephens, W. G. Lewis, A. E. Brewster et al., “Multidisciplinary team management is associated with improved outcomes after surgery for esophageal cancer,” Diseases of the Esophagus, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 164–171, 2006.
- J. T. Santoso, B. Schwertner, R. L. Coleman, and E. V. Hannigna, “Tumor board in gynecologic oncology,” International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 206–209, 2004.
- P. Cohen, A. L. Tan, and A. Penman, “The multidisciplinary tumor conference in gynecologic oncology-does it alter management?” International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 1470–1472, 2009.
- T. A. Gatcliffe and R. L. Coleman, “Tumor board: more than treatment planning-a 1-year prospective survey,” Journal of Cancer Education, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 235–237, 2008.
- T. M. Pawlik, D. Laheru, R. H. Hruban et al., “On behalf of the Johns Hopkins multidisciplinary pancreas clinic team. Evaluating the impact of a single-day multidisciplinary clinic on the management of pancreatic cancer,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 2081–2088, 2008.
- A. R. Davies, D. A. C. Deans, I. Penman et al., “The multidisciplinary team meeting improves staging accuracy and treatment selection for gastro-esophageal cancer,” Diseases of the Esophagus, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 496–503, 2006.
- S. J. Miller, M. Alam, J. Andersen et al., “Merkel cell carcinoma,” JNCCN Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 322–332, 2009.
- National Academy Press, Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2001.
- E. J. A. Bowles, L. Tuzzio, C. J. Wiese et al., “Understanding high-quality cancer care: a summary of expert perspectives,” Cancer, vol. 112, no. 4, pp. 934–942, 2008.
- A. Demaille and P. Cappelaere, “Institutional aspects of concertation in a comprehensive cancer center,” Bulletin du Cancer, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 37–40, 1991.
- Circular relating to the organization of cancer care (22/02/2005). The French Cancer Plan, measure 31.
- D. J. Fader, C. G. Wise, D. P. Normolle, and T. M. Johnson, “The multidisciplinary melanoma clinic: a cost outcomes analysis of specialty care,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 742–751, 1998.