- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Solar Energy
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 584283, 6 pages
Localized Surface Plasmons Enhanced Light Transmission into c-Silicon Solar Cells
1Department of Electronic Science, University of Delhi, South Campus, Benito Juarez Road, New Delhi 110021, India
2Department of Physics, Motilal Nehru College, University of Delhi, Benito Juarez Road, New Delhi 110021, India
3Department of Electronics, Rajdhani College, University of Delhi, Raja Garden, New Delhi 110015, India
Received 30 March 2013; Revised 28 May 2013; Accepted 3 July 2013
Academic Editor: Haricharan S. Reehal
Copyright © 2013 Y. Premkumar Singh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. A. Atwater and A. Polman, “Plasmonics for improved photovoltaic devices,” Nature Materials, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 205–213, 2010.
- S. Pillai and M. A. Green, “Plasmonics for photovoltaic applications,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 1481–1486, 2010.
- K. R. Catchpole and A. Polman, “Plasmonic solar cells,” Optics Express, vol. 16, no. 26, pp. 21793–21800, 2008.
- H. R. Stuart and D. G. Hall, “Island size effects in nanoparticle-enhanced photodetectors,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 73, no. 26, pp. 3815–3817, 1998.
- F. J. Beck, A. Polman, and K. R. Catchpole, “Tunable light trapping for solar cells using localized surface plasmons,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 105, no. 11, Article ID 114310, 7 pages, 2009.
- D. Derkacs, S. H. Lim, P. Matheu, W. Mar, and E. T. Yu, “Improved performance of amorphous silicon solar cells via scattering from surface plasmon polaritons in nearby metallic nanoparticles,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 89, no. 9, Article ID 093103, 3 pages, 2006.
- S. Pillai, K. R. Catchpole, T. Trupke, and M. A. Green, “Surface plasmon enhanced silicon solar cells,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 101, no. 9, Article ID 093105, 8 pages, 2007.
- K. R. Catchpole and A. Polman, “Design principles for particle plasmon enhanced solar cells,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 93, no. 19, Article ID 191113, 3 pages, 2008.
- A. Centeno, J. Breeze, B. Ahmed, H. Reehal, and N. Alford, “Scattering of light into silicon by spherical and hemispherical silver nanoparticles,” Optics Letters, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 76–78, 2010.
- C. Hagglund, M. Zach, G. Petersson, and B. Kasemo, “Electromagnetic coupling of light into a silicon solar cell by nanodisk plasmons,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 92, no. 5, Article ID 053110, 3 pages, 2008.
- P. Spinelli, C. V. Lare, E. Verhagen, and A. Polman, “Controlling Fano lineshapes in plasmon-mediated light coupling into a substrate,” Optics Express, vol. 19, no. S3, pp. A303–A311, 2011.
- P. Spinelli, M. Hebbink, R. de Waele, L. Black, F. Lenzmann, and A. Polman, “Optical impedance matching using coupled plasmonic nanoparticle arrays,” Nano Letters, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1760–1765, 2011.
- Y. Zhang, Z. Ouyang, N. Strokes, B. Jia, Z. Shi, and M. Gu, “Low cost and high performance Al nanoparticles for broadband light trapping in Si wafer solar cells,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 100, no. 15, Article ID 151101, 4 pages, 2012.
- A. Taflove and S. C. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-Difference Time Domain Method, Artech House, Norwood, Mass, USA, 2nd edition, 2000.
- A. F. Oskooi, D. Roundy, M. Ibanescu, P. Bermel, J. D. Joannopoulos, and S. G. Johnson, “Meep: a flexible free-software package for electromagnetic simulations by the FDTD method,” Computer Physics Communications, vol. 181, no. 3, pp. 687–702, 2010.
- A. D. Rakić, A. B. Djurišić, J. M. Elazar, and M. L. Majewski, “Optical properties of metallic films for vertical-cavity optoelectronic devices,” Applied Optics, vol. 37, no. 22, pp. 5271–5283, 1998.
- E. D. Palik, Handbook of Optical Constants of Solid, Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, 1998.
- C. Rockstuhl, S. Fahr, and F. Lederer, “Absorption enhancement in solar cells by localized plasmon polaritons,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 104, no. 12, Article ID 123102, 7 pages, 2008.
- W. Rechberger, A. Hohenau, A. Leitner, J. R. Krenn, B. Lamprecht, and F. R. Aussenegg, “Optical properties of two interacting gold nanoparticles,” Optics Communications, vol. 220, no. 1–3, pp. 137–141, 2003.
- Y. A. Akimov and W. S. Koh, “Resonant and nonresonant plasmonic nanoparticle enhancement for thin-film silicon solar cells,” Nanotechnology, vol. 21, no. 23, Article ID 235201, 2010.
- T. F. Villesen, C. Uhrenfeldt, B. Johansen, J. L. Hansen, H. U. Ulriksen, and A. N. Larsen, “Aluminium nanoparticles for plasmon-improved coupling of light into silicon,” Nanotechnology, vol. 23, no. 8, Article ID 085202, 2012.
- C. Langhammer, M. Schwind, B. Kasemo, and I. Zoric, “Localized surface plasmon resonances in aluminium nanodisks,” Nano Letters, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1461–1471, 2008.