- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Sports Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 612650, 6 pages
Shoulder Muscle Activation of Novice and Resistance Trained Women during Variations of Dumbbell Press Exercises
Biodynamics and Human Performance Center, Armstrong Atlantic State University, 11935 Abercorn Street, Savannah, GA 31419, USA
Received 1 December 2012; Revised 12 April 2013; Accepted 19 April 2013
Academic Editor: Mark Willems
Copyright © 2013 Joshua Luczak et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Neumann, Shoulder Complex. in: Kinesiology of the Musculoskeletal System:, Mosby, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 2002.
- C. Barnett, V. Kippers, and P. Turner, “Effects of variations of the bench press on the EMG activity of five shoulder muscles,” The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, vol. 9, pp. 222–227, 1995.
- S. C. Glass and T. Armstrong, “Electromyographical activity of the pectoralis muscle during incline and decline bench presses,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 163–167, 1997.
- A. H. Saeterbakken, R. van den Tillaar, and M. S. Fimland, “A comparison of muscle activity and 1-RM strength of three chest-press exercises with different stability requirements,” Journal of Sports Sciences, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 533–538, 2011.
- A. A. Trebs, J. P. Brandenburg, and W. A. Pitney, “An electromyography analysis of 3 muscles surrounding the shoulder joint during the performance of a chest press exercise at several angles,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 1925–1930, 2010.
- B. P. Uribe, J. W. Coburn, L. E. Brown, D. A. Judelson, A. V. Khamoui, and D. Nguyen, “Muscle activation when performing the chest press and shoulder press on a stable bench vs. a Swiss ball,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 1028–1033, 2010.
- C. A. Goodman, A. J. Pearce, C. J. Nicholes, B. M. Gatt, and I. H. Fairweather, “No difference in 1RM strength and muscle activation during the barbell chest press on a stable and unstable surface,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 88–94, 2008.
- P. W. M. Marshall and B. A. Murphy, “Increased deltoid and abdominal muscle activity during swiss ball bench press,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 745–750, 2006.
- K. M. Lagally, S. T. McCaw, G. T. Young, H. C. Medema, and D. Q. Thomas, “Ratings of perceived exertion and muscle activity during the bench press exercise in recreational and novice lifters,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 359–364, 2004.
- E. E. Schick, J. W. Coburn, L. E. Brown et al., “A comparison of muscle activation between a Smith machine and free weight bench press,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 779–784, 2010.
- R. Earle and T. Baechle, “Resistance training and spotting techniques,” in Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning, Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 2008.
- J. M. Kohler, S. P. Flanagan, and W. C. Whiting, “Muscle activation patterns while lifting stable and unstable loads on stable and unstable surfaces,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 313–321, 2010.
- S. McCaw and J. Friday, “A comparison of muscle activity between a machine and free weight bench press,” The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, vol. 8, pp. 259–264, 1994.
- E. A. Welsch, M. Bird, and J. L. Mayhew, “Electromyographic activity of the pectoralis major and anterior deltoid muscles during three upper-body lifts,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 449–452, 2005.
- H. J. Hermens, B. Freriks, C. Disselhorst-Klug, and G. Rau, “Development of recommendations for SEMG sensors and sensor placement procedures,” Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 361–374, 2000.
- L. Herrington and I. Horsley, “Electromyographic analysis of selected shoulder muscles during a rugby football tackle,” Medicine, Arthroscopy, Rehabilitation, Therapy and Technology, vol. 1, article 10, 2009.
- L. Daniels, Worthington C. Muscle Testing: Techniques of Manual Examination, W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 5th edition, 1986.
- J. F. Yang and D. A. Winter, “Electromyographic amplitude normalization methods: improving their sensitivity as diagnostic tools in gait analysis,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 517–521, 1984.