- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Toxicology
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 754810, 9 pages
On the Toxicity of Therapeutically Used Nanoparticles: An Overview
Biochemistry Department, Science College, King Saud University, P.O. Box 22452, Riyadh 11451, Saudi Arabia
Received 26 June 2008; Accepted 20 October 2008
Academic Editor: Syed F. Ali
Copyright © 2009 A. El-Ansary and S. Al-Daihan. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [26 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Siddhartha Shrivastava, Tanmay Bera, Sunil K. Singh, Gajendra Singh, P. Ramachandrarao, and Debabrata Dash, “Characterization of Antiplatelet Properties of Silver Nanopartides,” Acs Nano, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 1357–1364, 2009.
- Melanie Homberger, “On the application potential of gold nanoparticles in nanoelectronics and b iomedicine,” Philosophical Transactions of The Royal Society A-Mathematical Physical And, vol. 368, no. 1915, pp. 1405–1453, 2010.
- Troy Benn, Bridget Cavanagh, Kiril Hristovski, Jonathan D. Posner, and Paul Westerhoff, “The Release of Nanosilver from Consumer Products Used in the Home,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 1875–1882, 2010.
- Su-Geun Yang, Ji-Eun Chang, Byungchul Shin, Sanghyun Park, and Kun Na, “(99)mTc-hematoporphyrin linked albumin nanoparticles for lung cancer target ed photodynamic therapy and imaging,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 41, pp. 9042–9046, 2010.
- Pooja Tiwari, Komal Vig, Vida Dennis, and Shree Singh, “Functionalized Gold Nanoparticles and Their Biomedical Applications,” Nanomaterials, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 31–63, 2011.
- Ae Jung Huh, and Young Jik Kwon, “"Nanoantibiotics": A new paradigm for treating infectious diseases using na nomaterials in the antibiotics resistant era,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 128–145, 2011.
- Siddhartha Shrivastava, Sunil K. Singh, Avijit Mukhopadhyay, Akhoury S. K. Sinha, Rajiv K. Mandal, and Debabrata Dash, “Negative regulation of fibrin polymerization and clot formation by nanopart icles of silver,” Colloids and Surfaces B-Biointerfaces, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 241–246, 2011.
- Yuri Volkov, Catherine H. Botting, Alexey V. Tkach, Navin K. Verma, Aoife McGowan, Corey P. Causey, Anna A. Shvedova, Adriele Prina-Mello, Paul R. Thompson, Dermot Kelleher, Anthony M. Davies, Elena R. Kisin, Ger J. M. Pruijn, Bashir M. Mohamed, and Kieran Crosbie-Staunton, “Citrullination of proteins: a common post-translational modification pathwa y induced by different nanoparticles in vitro and in vivo,” Nanomedicine, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 1181–1195, 2012.
- Kunga Mohan Ramkumar, Chinnasamy Manjula, Georgepeter GnanaKumar, Muzafar A. Kanjwal, Thillai V. Sekar, Ramasamy Paulmurugan, and Palanisamy Rajaguru, “Oxidative stress-mediated cytotoxicity and apoptosis induction by TiO2 nano fibers in HeLa cells,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 324–333, 2012.
- Bozena Novotna, Pavla Jendelova, Miroslava Kapcalova, Pavel Rossner, Karolina Turnovcova, Yana Bagryantseva, Michal Babic, Daniel Horak, and Eva Sykova, “Oxidative damage to biological macromolecules in human bone marrow mesenchymal stromal cells labeled with various types of iron oxide nanoparticles,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 210, no. 1, pp. 53–63, 2012.
- Bei Zhang, Lei Chen, Jeong June Choi, Bernhard Hennig, and Michal Toborek, “Cerebrovascular Toxicity of PCB153 is Enhanced by Binding to Silica Nanopar ticles,” Journal of Neuroimmune Pharmacology, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 991–1001, 2012.
- Chiu-Yin Kuan, Wai Yee-Fung, Kah-Hay Yuen, and Min-Tze Liong, “Nanotech: Propensity in Foods and Bioactives,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 55–71, 2012.
- Arati Sharma, SubbaRao V. Madhunapantula, and Gavin P. Robertson, “Toxicological considerations when creating nanoparticle-based drugs and dru g delivery systems,” Expert Opinion on Drug Metabolism & Toxicology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 47–69, 2012.
- Jie Hou, Diane M. Szaflarski, and John D. Simon, “Quantifying the Association Constant and Stoichiometry of the Complexation between Colloidal Polyacrylate-Coated Gold Nanoparticles and Chymotrypsin,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 117, no. 16, pp. 4587–4593, 2013.
- Bing Wang, Xiao He, Zhiyong Zhang, Yuliang Zhao, and Weiyue Feng, “Metabolism of Nanomaterials in Vivo: Blood Circulation and Organ Clearance,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 761–769, 2013.
- Karen Pillay, and Patrick Govender, “Amylin Uncovered: A Review on the Polypeptide Responsible for Type II Diabe tes,” Biomed Research International, 2013.
- Changyoon Baek, Zahid Hanif, Seung-Woo Cho, and Dong-Ik Kim, “Shape Control of Cellulose Nanocrystals via Compositional Acid Hydrolysis,” Journal Of Biomedical Nanotechnology, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1293–1298, 2013.
- Freya Joris, Bella B. Manshian, Karen Peynshaert, Kevin Braeckmans, and Stefaan J. Soenen, “Assessing nanoparticle toxicity in cell-based assays: influence of cell cul ture parameters and optimized models for bridging the in vitro-in vivo gap,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 42, no. 21, pp. 8339–8359, 2013.
- Annette Kraegeloh, Christian Cavelius, Mathias Vukelic, Michael Busse, David Stevens, and Eduard Arzt, “Estimating the modulatory effects of nanoparticles on neuronal circuits usi ng computational upscaling,” International Journal Of Nanomedicine, vol. 8, pp. 3559–3572, 2013.
- Sanjeev Kumar Mahto, Verena Charwat, Peter Ertl, Barbara Rothen-Rutishauser, Seog Woo Rhee, and Josué Sznitman, “Microfluidic platforms for advanced risk assessments of nanomaterials,” Nanotoxicology, pp. 1–15, 2014.
- Antonella Trisolino, “Nanomedicine: Building a Bridge Between Science and Law,” NanoEthics, 2014.
- Anamaria Orza, Daniel Casciano, and Alexandru Biris, “Nanomaterials for targeted drug delivery to cancer stem cells,” Drug Metabolism Reviews, pp. 1–16, 2014.
- S. Sripriyalakshmi, Pinkybel Jose, Aswathy Ravindran, and C. H. Anjali, “Recent Trends in Drug Delivery System Using Protein Nanoparticles,” Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, 2014.
- M. Ul-Islam, A. Shehzad, S. Khan, W. A. Khattak, and M. W. Ullah, “Antimicrobial and Biocompatible Properties of Nanomaterials,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 780–791, 2014.
- Andrzej Przemyslaw Herman, “Nanoparticles as Antimicrobial Agents: Their Toxicity and Mechanisms of Act ion,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 946–957, 2014.
- Yi Zhang, Yuhong Bai, Jianbo Jia, Ningning Gao, Yang Li, Ruinan Zhang, Guibin Jiang, and Bing Yan, “Perturbation of physiological systems by nanoparticles,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 3762, 2014.