- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Toxicology
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 754810, 9 pages
On the Toxicity of Therapeutically Used Nanoparticles: An Overview
Biochemistry Department, Science College, King Saud University, P.O. Box 22452, Riyadh 11451, Saudi Arabia
Received 26 June 2008; Accepted 20 October 2008
Academic Editor: Syed F. Ali
Copyright © 2009 A. El-Ansary and S. Al-Daihan. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [46 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Siddhartha Shrivastava, Tanmay Bera, Sunil K. Singh, Gajendra Singh, P. Ramachandrarao, and Debabrata Dash, “Characterization of Antiplatelet Properties of Silver Nanopartides,” Acs Nano, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 1357–1364, 2009.
- Melanie Homberger, and Ulrich Simon, “On the application potential of gold nanoparticles in nanoelectronics and biomedicine,” Philosophical Transactions of The Royal Society A-Mathematical Physical And, vol. 368, no. 1915, pp. 1405–1453, 2010.
- Troy Benn, Bridget Cavanagh, Kiril Hristovski, Jonathan D. Posner, and Paul Westerhoff, “The Release of Nanosilver from Consumer Products Used in the Home,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 1875–1882, 2010.
- Su-Geun Yang, Ji-Eun Chang, Byungchul Shin, Sanghyun Park, Kun Na, and Chang-Koo Shim, “(99)mTc-hematoporphyrin linked albumin nanoparticles for lung cancer targeted photodynamic therapy and imaging,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 41, pp. 9042–9046, 2010.
- Pooja Tiwari, Komal Vig, Vida Dennis, and Shree Singh, “Functionalized Gold Nanoparticles and Their Biomedical Applications,” Nanomaterials, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 31–63, 2011.
- Ae Jung Huh, and Young Jik Kwon, “"Nanoantibiotics": A new paradigm for treating infectious diseases using nanomaterials in the antibiotics resistant era,” Journal Of Controlled Release, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 128–145, 2011.
- Siddhartha Shrivastava, Sunil K. Singh, Avijit Mukhopadhyay, Akhoury S. K. Sinha, Rajiv K. Mandal, and Debabrata Dash, “Negative regulation of fibrin polymerization and clot formation by nanoparticles of silver,” Colloids And Surfaces B-Biointerfaces, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 241–246, 2011.
- Kieran Crosbie-Staunton, Adriele Prina-Mello, Paul R. Thompson, Dermot Kelleher, Anthony M. Davies, Anna A. Shvedova, Alexey V. Tkach, Navin K. Verma, Aoife McGowan, Yuri Volkov, Catherine H. Botting, Bashir M. Mohamed, Elena R. Kisin, Ger J. M. Pruijn, and Corey P. Causey, “Citrullination of proteins: a common post-translational modification pathway induced by different nanoparticles in vitro and in vivo,” Nanomedicine, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 1181–1195, 2012.
- Kunga Mohan Ramkumar, Chinnasamy Manjula, Georgepeter GnanaKumar, Muzafar A. Kanjwal, Thillai V. Sekar, Ramasamy Paulmurugan, and Palanisamy Rajaguru, “Oxidative stress-mediated cytotoxicity and apoptosis induction by TiO2 nanofibers in HeLa cells,” European Journal Of Pharmaceutics And Biopharmaceutics, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 324–333, 2012.
- Bozena Novotna, Pavla Jendelova, Miroslava Kapcalova, Pavel Rossner, Karolina Turnovcova, Yana Bagryantseva, Michal Babic, Daniel Horak, and Eva Sykova, “Oxidative damage to biological macromolecules in human bone marrow mesenchymal stromal cells labeled with various types of iron oxide nanoparticles,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 210, no. 1, pp. 53–63, 2012.
- Bei Zhang, Lei Chen, Jeong June Choi, Bernhard Hennig, and Michal Toborek, “Cerebrovascular Toxicity of PCB153 is Enhanced by Binding to Silica Nanoparticles,” Journal Of Neuroimmune Pharmacology, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 991–1001, 2012.
- Chiu-Yin Kuan, Wai Yee-Fung, Kah-Hay Yuen, and Min-Tze Liong, “Nanotech: Propensity in Foods and Bioactives,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 55–71, 2012.
- Arati Sharma, SubbaRao V. Madhunapantula, and Gavin P. Robertson, “Toxicological considerations when creating nanoparticle-based drugs and drug delivery systems,” Expert Opinion On Drug Metabolism & Toxicology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 47–69, 2012.
- L. Manoj, Vinita Vishwakarma, Subhranshu Sekhar Samal, and Sooriamuthu Seeni, “ Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using hypericin-rich shoot cultures of Hypericum hookerianum and evaluation of anti-bacterial activities ,” Journal of Experimental Nanoscience, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- Jie Hou, Diane M. Szaflarski, and John D. Simon, “Quantifying the Association Constant and Stoichiometry of the Complexation between Colloidal Polyacrylate-Coated Gold Nanoparticles and Chymotrypsin,” Journal Of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 117, no. 16, pp. 4587–4593, 2013.
- Bing Wang, Xiao He, Zhiyong Zhang, Yuliang Zhao, and Weiyue Feng, “Metabolism of Nanomaterials in Vivo: Blood Circulation and Organ Clearance,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 761–769, 2013.
- Karen Pillay, and Patrick Govender, “Amylin Uncovered: A Review on the Polypeptide Responsible for Type II Diabetes,” Biomed Research International, 2013.
- Azam Ahangari, Mojtaba Salouti, Zahra Heidari, Ali Reza Kazemizadeh, and Ali Asghar Safari, “ Development of gentamicin-gold nanospheres for antimicrobial drug delivery to Staphylococcal infected foci ,” Drug Delivery, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 34–39, 2013.
- Michael Busse, David Stevens, Eduard Arzt, Mathias Vukelic, Daniel J. Strauss, Annette Kraegeloh, and Christian Cavelius, “Estimating the modulatory effects of nanoparticles on neuronal circuits using computational upscaling,” International Journal Of Nanomedicine, vol. 8, pp. 3559–3572, 2013.
- Changyoon Baek, Zahid Hanif, Seung-Woo Cho, Dong-Ik Kim, and Soong Ho Um, “Shape Control of Cellulose Nanocrystals via Compositional Acid Hydrolysis,” Journal Of Biomedical Nanotechnology, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1293–1298, 2013.
- Freya Joris, Bella B. Manshian, Karen Peynshaert, Stefaan C. De Smedt, Kevin Braeckmans, and Stefaan J. Soenen, “Assessing nanoparticle toxicity in cell-based assays: influence of cell culture parameters and optimized models for bridging the in vitro-in vivo gap,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 42, no. 21, pp. 8339–8359, 2013.
- Gurulingappa Pattan, and Gautam Kaul, “Health hazards associated with nanomaterials,” Toxicology and Industrial Health, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 499–519, 2014.
- Sanjeev Kumar Mahto, Verena Charwat, Peter Ertl, Barbara Rothen-Rutishauser, Seog Woo Rhee, and Josué Sznitman, “Microfluidic platforms for advanced risk assessments of nanomaterials,” Nanotoxicology, pp. 1–15, 2014.
- Antonella Trisolino, “Nanomedicine: Building a Bridge Between Science and Law,” NanoEthics, 2014.
- Anamaria Orza, Daniel Casciano, and Alexandru Biris, “Nanomaterials for targeted drug delivery to cancer stem cells,” Drug Metabolism Reviews, pp. 1–16, 2014.
- S. Sripriyalakshmi, Pinkybel Jose, Aswathy Ravindran, and C. H. Anjali, “Recent Trends in Drug Delivery System Using Protein Nanoparticles,” Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, 2014.
- Alireza Khataee, Ali Movafeghi, Fatemeh Nazari, Fatemeh Vafaei, Mohammad Reza Dadpour, Younes Hanifehpour, and Sang Woo Joo, “The toxic effects of l-Cysteine-capped cadmium sulfide nanoparticles on the aquatic plant Spirodela polyrrhiza,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 16, no. 12, 2014.
- Nataliya S. Kavok, Katherine A. Averchenko, Vladimir K. Klochkov, Svetlana L. Yefimova, and Yuri V. Malyukin, “Mitochondrial potential (ΔΨm changes in single rat hepatocytes: The effect of orthovanadate nanoparticles doped with rare-earth elements,” The European Physical Journal E, vol. 37, no. 12, 2014.
- Li-Chu Ong, Felicia Fei-Lei Chung, Yuen-Fen Tan, and Chee-Onn Leong, “Toxicity of single-walled carbon nanotubes,” Archives of Toxicology, 2014.
- M. Ul-Islam, A. Shehzad, S. Khan, W. A. Khattak, and M. W. Ullah, “Antimicrobial and Biocompatible Properties of Nanomaterials,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 780–791, 2014.
- Anna Herman, and Andrzej Przemyslaw Herman, “Nanoparticles as Antimicrobial Agents: Their Toxicity and Mechanisms of Action,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 946–957, 2014.
- Yi Zhang, Yuhong Bai, Jianbo Jia, Ningning Gao, Yang Li, Ruinan Zhang, Guibin Jiang, and Bing Yan, “Perturbation of physiological systems by nanoparticles,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 3762, 2014.
- Brittany L. Banik, Pouria Fattahi, and Justin L. Brown, “Polymeric nanoparticles: the future of nanomedicine,” Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology, 2015.
- Mojtaba Kalantar, Mohsen Rezaei, Eskandar Moghimipour, Neda Bavarsad, Heibatallah Kalantari, Golnaz Varnaseri, and Arash Forouzan, “Evaluation of Apoptosis Induced by Celecoxib Loaded Liposomes in Isolated Rat Hepatocytes,” Jundishapur Journal of Natural Pharmaceutical Products, vol. 10, no. 3, 2015.
- Han Zhou, Xiaofeng Ma, Yongze Liu, Lei Dong, Yi Luo, Guangjie Zhu, Xiaoyun Qian, Jie Chen, Lin Lu, Junguo Wang, and Xia Gao, “Linear polyethylenimine-plasmid DNA nanoparticles are ototoxic to the cultured sensory epithelium of neonatal mice,” Molecular Medicine Reports, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 4381–4388, 2015.
- Rangarajulu Senthil Kumaran, Yong-Keun Choi, Vijay Singh, Hak-Jin Song, Kyung-Guen Song, Kwang Jin Kim, and Hyung Joo Kim, “In Vitro Cytotoxic Evaluation of MgO Nanoparticles and Their Effect on the Expression of ROS Genes,” International Journal Of Molecular Sciences, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 7551–7564, 2015.
- Hadi Zare-Zardini, Ahmad Amiri, Mehdi Shanbedi, Asghar Taheri-Kafrani, S. N. Kazi, B.T. Chew, and Amir Razmjou, “ I n vitro and in vivo study of hazardous effects of Ag nanoparticles and Arginine-treated multi walled carbon nanotubes on blood cells: Application in hemodialysis membranes ,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 2015.
- Deepak Sharma, Rakesh Kumar Sharma, Navneet Sharma, Reema Gabrani, Sanjeev K. Sharma, Javed Ali, and Shweta Dang, “Nose-To-Brain Delivery of PLGA-Diazepam Nanoparticles,” AAPS PharmSciTech, 2015.
- Miu Shan Chan, Dick Yan Tam, Ziwen Dai, Ling Sum Liu, Jonathan Weng-Thim Ho, Man Lee Chan, Di Xu, Man Shing Wong, Chung Tin, and Pik Kwan Lo, “Mitochondrial Delivery of Therapeutic Agents by Amphiphilic DNA Nanocarriers,” Small, 2015.
- Edris Ebrahimi, Aliasghar Jarrahpour, Nahid Heidari, Véronique Sinou, Christine Latour, Jean M. Brunel, Amin R. Zolghadr, and Edward Turos, “Synthesis and antimalarial activity of new nanocopolymer β-lactams and molecular docking study of their monomers,” Medicinal Chemistry Research, 2015.
- Laura A. Wilding, Christine M. Bassis, Kim Walacavage, Sara Hashway, Pascale R. Leroueil, Masako Morishita, Andrew D. Maynard, Martin A. Philbert, and Ingrid L. Bergin, “Repeated dose (28-day) administration of silver nanoparticles of varied size and coating does not significantly alter the indigenous murine gut microbiome,” Nanotoxicology, pp. 1–8, 2015.
- Rachel P. Bulcao, Guilherme B. Bubols, Sabrina N. Nascimento, Bruna Gauer, Elisa Sauer, Marlia Baierle, Mariele F. Charao, Angela Moro, Natylia Brucker, Franciele A. Bruinsmann, Carlos Schnorr, Jose C. F. Moreira, Adriana R. Pohlmann, Slvia S. Guterres, and Solange C. Garcia, “Do poly(epsilon-caprolactone) lipid-core nanocapsules induce oxidative or inflammatory damage after in vivo subchronic treatment?,” Toxicology Research, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 994–1005, 2015.
- Alessandra Gallo, Raffaele Boni, Isabella Buttino, and Elisabetta Tosti, “ Spermiotoxicity of nickel nanoparticles in the marine invertebrate Ciona intestinalis (ascidians) ,” Nanotoxicology, pp. 1–9, 2016.
- Muhammad Nisar, Shujaat Khan, Mughal Qayum, Ajmal Khan, Umar Farooq, Hawa Jaafar, Muhammad Zia-Ul-Haq, and Rashid Ali, “Robust Synthesis of Ciprofloxacin-Capped Metallic Nanoparticles and Their Urease Inhibitory Assay,” Molecules, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 411, 2016.
- Monika Dubiak-Szepietowska, Aleksandra Karczmarczyk, Martin Jonsson-Niedziolka, Thomas Winckler, and Karl-Heinz Feller, “Development of complex-shaped liver multicellular spheroids as a human-based model for nanoparticle toxicity assessment in vitro,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 2016.
- Lisa Accomasso, Clara Gallina, Valentina Turinetto, and Claudia Giachino, “Stem Cell Tracking with Nanoparticles for Regenerative Medicine Purposes: An Overview,” Stem Cells International, vol. 2016, pp. 1–23, 2016.