- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Toxicology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 487074, 9 pages
Oxidative Stress and Air Pollution Exposure
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Florence, Viale Pieraccini 6, 50139 Florence, Italy
Received 15 December 2010; Revised 10 May 2011; Accepted 30 June 2011
Academic Editor: Susan Sumner
Copyright © 2011 Maura Lodovici and Elisabetta Bigagli. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [43 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Bruna De Felice, Carmine Nappi, Brunella Zizolfi, Marco Guida, Attilio Di Spiezio Sardo, Giuseppe Bifulco, and Maurizio Guida, “Telomere shortening in women resident close to waste landfill sites,” Gene, vol. 500, no. 1, pp. 101–106, 2012.
- Denis Dieme, Mathilde Cabral-Ndior, Guillaume Garçon, Anthony Verdin, Sylvain Billet, Fabrice Cazier, Dominique Courcot, Amadou Diouf, and Pirouz Shirali, “Relationship between physicochemical characterization and toxicity of fine particulate matter (PM2.5) collected in Dakar city (Senegal),” Environmental Research, vol. 113, pp. 1–13, 2012.
- Zoran D. Ristovski, Branka Miljevic, Nicholas C. Surawski, Lidia Morawska, Kwun M. Fong, Felicia Goh, and Ian A. Yang, “Respiratory health effects of diesel particulate matter,” Respirology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 201–212, 2012.
- Christine T. Cowie, Nectarios Rose, Wafaa Ezz, Wei Xuan, Adriana Cortes-Waterman, Elena Belousova, Brett G. Toelle, Vicky Sheppeard, and Guy B. Marks, “Respiratory Health before and after the Opening of a Road Traffic Tunnel: A Planned Evaluation,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 11, 2012.
- Karine Andreau, Melanie Leroux, and Aida Bouharrour, “Health and Cellular Impacts of Air Pollutants: From Cytoprotection to Cytotoxicity,” Biochemistry Research International, vol. 2012, pp. 1–18, 2012.
- L. Hoinaski, D. Franco, R. M. Stuetz, E. C. Sivret, and H. de Melo Lisboa, “ Investigation of PM 10 sources in Santa Catarina, Brazil through graphical interpretation analysis combined with receptor modelling ,” Environmental Technology, vol. 34, no. 17, pp. 2453–2463, 2013.
- Riccardo Torosantucci, Christian Schöneich, and Wim Jiskoot, “Oxidation of Therapeutic Proteins and Peptides: Structural and Biological Consequences,” Pharmaceutical Research, 2013.
- Hui Hu, Amy B. Dailey, Haidong Kan, and Xiaohui Xu, “The effect of atmospheric particulate matter on survival of breast cancer among US females,” Breast Cancer Research And Treatment, vol. 139, no. 1, pp. 217–226, 2013.
- Mihai Roca, Alessia Verduri, Lorenzo Corbetta, Enrico Clini, Leonardo M. Fabbri, and Bianca Beghe, “Mechanisms of acute exacerbation of respiratory symptoms in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” European Journal Of Clinical Investigation, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 510–521, 2013.
- Laura Boublil, Emeline Assémat, Marie-Caroline Borot, Sonja Boland, Laurent Martinon, Jean Sciare, and Armelle Baeza-Squiban, “Development of a repeated exposure protocol of human bronchial epithelium in vitro to study the long-term effects of atmospheric particles,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 533–542, 2013.
- Morteza A. Khafaie, Sundeep S. Salvi, Ajay Ojha, Behzad Khafaie, Sharad S. Gore, and Chittaranjan S. Yajnik, “Systemic Inflammation (C-Reactive Protein) in Type 2 Diabetic Patients Is Associated With Ambient Air Pollution in Pune City, India,” Diabetes Care, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 625–630, 2013.
- Natalia Brucker, Angela M. Moro, Mariele F. Charao, Juliano Durgante, Fernando Freitas, Marilia Baierle, Sabrina Nascimento, Bruna Gauer, Rachel P. Bulcao, Guilherme B. Bubols, Pedro D. Ferrari, Flavia V. Thiesen, Adriana Gioda, Marta M. M. F. Duarte, Iran de Castro, Paulo H. Saldiva, and Solange C. Garcia, “Biomarkers of occupational exposure to air pollution, inflammation and oxidative damage in taxi drivers,” Science of The Total Environment, vol. 463, pp. 884–893, 2013.
- Qiang Huo, Ning Zhang, Xiaolong Wang, Liyu Jiang, Tingting Ma, and Qifeng Yang, “Effects of Ambient Particulate Matter on Human Breast Cancer: Is Xenogenesis Responsible?,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 10, 2013.
- Jicheng Gong, Tong Zhu, Howard Kipen, Guangfa Wang, Min Hu, Pamela Ohman-Strickland, Shou-En Lu, Lin Zhang, Yuedan Wang, Ping Zhu, David Q Rich, Scott R Diehl, Wei Huang, and Junfeng (Jim) Zhang, “Malondialdehyde in exhaled breath condensate and urine as a biomarker of air pollution induced oxidative stress,” Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 322–327, 2013.
- Hyang-Min Byun, Valeria Motta, Andrea A. Baccarelli, Lifang Hou, Pietro Apostoli, Tommaso Panni, Francesco Nordio, and Pier Alberto Bertazzi, “Effects of airborne pollutants on mitochondrial DNA Methylation,” Particle And Fibre Toxicology, vol. 10, 2013.
- Michal Kicinski, Frans Fierens, Michelle Plusquin, Wilfried Gyselaers, Lode Godderis, Joris Penders, Bram G. Janssen, Katrien Poels, Tim S. Nawrot, Nicky Pieters, and Ann Cuypers, “Placental DNA hypomethylation in association with particulate air pollution in early life,” Particle And Fibre Toxicology, vol. 10, 2013.
- Amrit Singh, Masatsugu Yamamoto, Francesco Sava, Christopher Carlsten, Mandy Pui, and Scott J. Tebbutt, “MicroRNA Expression in Response to Controlled Exposure to Diesel Exhaust: Attenuation by the Antioxidant N-Acetylcysteine in a Randomized Crossover Study,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 121, no. 6, pp. 670–675, 2013.
- D. Berdel, C-P Bauer, J. Heinrich, B. Hoffmann, A. von Berg, E. Thiering, J. Cyrys, C. Meisinger, S. Koletzko, and J. Kratzsch, “Long-term exposure to traffic-related air pollution and insulin resistance in children: results from the GINIplus and LISAplus birth cohorts,” Diabetologia, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 1696–1704, 2013.
- Margaret T. Hicken, J. Timothy Dvonch, Amy J. Schulz, Graciela Mentz, and Paul Max, “Fine particulate matter air pollution and blood pressure: The modifying role of psychosocial stress,” Environmental Research, vol. 133, pp. 195–203, 2014.
- Jie Hong, Xiaohong Yu, Xiaoyu Pan, Xiaoyang Zhao, Lei Sheng, Xuezi Sang, Anan Lin, Chi Zhang, Yue Zhao, Suxin Gui, Qingqing Sun, Ling Wang, and Fashui Hong, “Pulmonary Toxicity in Mice Following Exposure to Cerium Chloride,” Biological Trace Element Research, vol. 159, no. 1-3, pp. 269–277, 2014.
- Michael Xiao, Albert V. Helsing, Philip M. Lynch, Atif El-Naggar, Melissa M. Alegre, Richard A. Robison, and Kim L. O’Neill, “DNA damage caused by inorganic particulate matter on Raji and HepG2 cell lines exposed to ultraviolet radiation,” Mutation Research/Genetic Toxicology and Environmental Mutagenesis, 2014.
- Hong Kan, Zhongxin Wu, Yen-Chang Lin, Teh-Hsun Chen, Jared L. Cumpston, Michael L. Kashon, Steve Leonard, Albert E. Munson, and Vincent Castranova, “The role of nodose ganglia in the regulation of cardiovascular function following pulmonary exposure to ultrafine titanium dioxide,” Nanotoxicology, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 447–454, 2014.
- Luca Alessandria, Tiziana Schiliro, Raffaella Degan, Deborah Traversi, and Giorgio Gilli, “Cytotoxic response in human lung epithelial cells and ion characteristics of urban-air particles from Torino, a northern Italian city,” Environmental Science and Pollution Research, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 5554–5564, 2014.
- Ian W.H. Jarvis, Kristian Dreij, Åse Mattsson, Bengt Jernström, and Ulla Stenius, “Interactions between polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in complex mixtures and implications for cancer risk assessment,” Toxicology, 2014.
- Zana Sijan, Dagmara S. Antkiewicz, Jongbae Heo, Norman Y. Kado, James J. Schauer, Constantinos Sioutas, and Martin M. Shafer, “ An In Vitro alveolar macrophage assay for the assessment of inflammatory cytokine expression induced by atmospheric particulate matter ,” Environmental Toxicology, 2014.
- Tianteng Fan, Shona C. Fang, Jennifer M. Cavallari, Ian J. Barnett, Zhaoxi Wang, Li Su, Hyang-Min Byun, Xihong Lin, Andrea A. Baccarelli, and David C. Christiani, “Heart rate variability and DNA methylation levels are altered after short-term metal fume exposure among occupational welders: a repeated-measures pan,” Bmc Public Health, vol. 14, 2014.
- Juan Jose Carmona, Tamar Sofer, John Hutchinson, Laura Cantone, Brent Coull, Arnab Maity, Pantel Vokonas, Xihong Lin, Joel Schwartz, and Andrea A. Baccarelli, “Short-term airborne particulate matter exposure alters the epigenetic landscape of human genes associated with the mitogen-activated protein kinase ne,” Environmental Health, vol. 13, 2014.
- Paul Chidoka Chikezie, “Comparative Erythrocyte Glutathione S-Transferase Activity Profile of Non-Malarious Guinea Pigs (Cavia tschudii) Administered Pyrimethamine/Sulfadoxine and Artemether/Lumefantrine Combination Therapies,” Thrita, vol. 3, no. 4, 2014.
- Krzysztof Rutkowski, Pawel Sowa, Joanna Rutkowska-Talipska, Stanislaw Sulkowski, and Ryszard Rutkowski, “Allergic diseases: the price of civilisational progress,” Postepy Dermatologii I Alergologii, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 77–83, 2014.
- Lucio G. Costa, Toby B. Cole, Jacki Coburn, Yu-Chi Chang, Khoi Dao, and Pamela Roque, “Neurotoxicants Are in the Air: Convergence of Human, Animal, and In Vitro Studies on the Effects of Air Pollution on the Brain,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, pp. 1–8, 2014.
- Luke F. Gamon, Joses G. Nathanael, Bethany I. Taggert, Fraser A. Henry, Jana Bogena, and Uta Wille, “ Fragmentation-Rearrangement of Peptide Backbones Mediated by the Air Pollutant NO 2 . ,” Chemistry - A European Journal, 2015.
- Melanie Lovera-Leroux, Belinda Crobeddu, Nadim Kassis, Patrice X. Petit, Nathalie Janel, Armelle Baeza-Squiban, and Karine Andreau, “The iron component of particulate matter is antiapoptotic: a clue to the development of lung cancer after exposure to atmospheric pollutants?,” Biochimie, 2015.
- Despo Ierodiakonou, Antonella Zanobetti, Brent A. Coull, Steve Melly, Dirkje S. Postma, H. Marike Boezen, Judith M. Vonk, Paul V. Williams, Gail G. Shapiro, Edward F. McKone, Teal S. Hallstrand, Jane Q. Koenig, Jonathan S. Schildcrout, Thomas Lumley, Anne N. Fuhlbrigge, Petros Koutrakis, Joel Schwartz, Scott T. Weiss, and Diane R. Gold, “Ambient air pollution, lung function, and airway responsiveness in asthmatic children,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 2015.
- Yue Zhang, Yiqun Mo, Aihua Gu, Rong Wan, Qunwei Zhang, and David J. Tollerud, “Effects of urban particulate matter with high glucose on human monocytes U937,” Journal of Applied Toxicology, 2015.
- Kelly J. Brunst, Andrea A. Baccarelli, and Rosalind J. Wright, “Integrating mitochondriomics in children's environmental health,” Journal of Applied Toxicology, 2015.
- John Martin, Dhimiter Bello, Kristin Bunker, Martin Shafer, David Christiani, Susan Woskie, and Philip Demokritou, “Occupational exposure to nanoparticles at commercial photocopy centers,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2015.
- Amy J. Schulz, Graciela B. Mentz, Natalie R. Sampson, J. Timothy Dvonch, Angela G. Reyes, and Betty Izumi, “Effects of Particulate Matter and Antioxidant Dietary Intake on Blood Pressure,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 105, no. 6, pp. 1254–1261, 2015.
- Qiang Huo, Chang Cai, and Qifeng Yang, “Atmospheric particulate matter and breast cancer survival: estrogen receptor triggered?,” Tumor Biology, 2015.
- Anna Maria Spagnolo, Gianluca Ottria, Fernanda Perdelli, and Maria Luisa Cristina, “Chemical Characterisation of the Coarse and Fine Particulate Matter in the Environment of an Underground Railway System: Cytotoxic Effects and Oxidati,” International Journal Of Environmental Research And Public Health, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 4031–4046, 2015.
- Jennifer Rieusset, Alain Geloen, Christophe O. Soulage, Roxane E. Vella, Nicolas J. Pillon, Bader Zarrouki, Marine L. Croze, Laetitia Koppe, Michel Guichardant, Sandra Pesenti, and Marie-Agnes Chauvin, “Ozone Exposure Triggers Insulin Resistance Through Muscle c-Jun N-Terminal Kinase Activation,” Diabetes, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 1011–1024, 2015.
- Silvia Maria de Macedo Barbosa, Sylvia Costa Lima Farhat, Lourdes Conceicao Martins, Luiz Alberto Amador Pereira, Paulo Hilario Nascimento Saldiva, Antonella Zanobetti, and Alfesio Luis Ferreira Braga, “Air pollution and children's health: sickle cell disease,” Cadernos De Saude Publica, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 265–275, 2015.
- Rosa I. Rodríguez-Cotto, Mario G. Ortiz-Martínez, and Braulio D. Jiménez-Vélez, “Organic Extracts from African Dust Storms Stimulate Oxidative Stress and Induce Inflammatory Responses in human lung cells through Nrf2 but not NF-kB,” Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology, 2015.
- Ulrich Franck, Arne Marian Leitte, and Peter Suppan, “Multifactorial airborne exposures and respiratory hospital admissions — The example of Santiago de Chile,” Science of The Total Environment, vol. 502, pp. 114–121, 2015.