- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Toxicology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 791431, 17 pages
Update on a Pharmacokinetic-Centric Alternative Tier II Program for MMT—Part II: Physiologically Based Pharmacokinetic Modeling and Manganese Risk Assessment
1Health, Safety, Environment, and Security, Afton Chemical Corp., Richmond, VA 23219, USA
2Institute for Chemical Safety Sciences, The Hamner Institutes for Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
3College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27606, USA
Received 22 October 2011; Accepted 25 January 2012
Academic Editor: Kannan Krishnan
Copyright © 2012 Michael D. Taylor et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Aschner, K. M. Erikson, and D. C. Dorman, “Manganese dosimetry: species differences and implications for neurotoxicity,” Critical Reviews in Toxicology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 1–32, 2005.
- T. R. Guilarte, “Manganese and Parkinson's disease: a critical review and new findings,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 118, no. 8, pp. 1071–1080, 2010.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), “Toxicological Profile for Manganese,” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2008, http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp.asp?id=102&tid=23.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, “Reevaluation of inhalation risks associated with methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT) in gasoline,” EPA Office of Research and Development. EPA Air Docket A-93-26 No. II-A-12, 1994.
- D. C. Dorman, M. E. Andersen, and M. D. Taylor, “Update on a pharmacokinetic-centric Alternative Tier II Program for MMT. Part I. Program implementation and lessons learned,” Journal of Toxicology, vol. 2012, Article ID 946742, 10 pages, 2012.
- W. K. Boyes, “Essentiality, toxicity, and uncertainty in the risk assessment of manganese,” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health A, vol. 73, no. 2-3, pp. 159–165, 2010.
- M. E. Andersen, J. M. Gearhart, and H. J. Clewell, “Pharmacokinetic data needs to support risk assessments for inhaled and ingested manganese,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 20, no. 2-3, pp. 161–172, 1999.
- D. C. Dorman, M. F. Struve, H. J. Clewell, and M. E. Andersen, “Application of pharmacokinetic data to the risk assessment of inhaled manganese,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 752–764, 2006.
- J. G. Teeguarden, D. C. Dorman, T. R. Covington, H. J. Clewell, and M. E. Andersen, “Pharmacokinetic modeling of manganese. I. Dose dependencies of uptake and elimination,” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health A, vol. 70, no. 18, pp. 1493–1504, 2007.
- J. G. Teeguarden, D. C. Dorman, A. Nong, T. R. Covington, H. J. Clewell, and M. E. Andersen, “Pharmacokinetic modeling of manganese. II. Hepatic processing after ingestion and inhalation,” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health A, vol. 70, no. 18, pp. 1505–1514, 2007.
- L. MacCalman, C. L. Tran, and E. Kuempel, “Development of a bio-mathematical model in rats to describe clearance, retention and translocation of inhaled nano particles throughout the body,” Journal of Physics: Conference Series, vol. 151, Article ID 012028, 2009.
- J. G. Teeguarden, J. Gearhart, H. J. Clewell, T. R. Covington, A. Nong, and M. E. Andersen, “Pharmacokinetic modeling of manganese. III. Physiological approaches accounting for background and tracer kinetics,” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health A, vol. 70, no. 18, pp. 1515–1526, 2007.
- A. Nong, J. G. Teeguarden, H. J. Clewell, D. C. Dorman, and M. E. Andersen, “Pharmacokinetic modeling of manganese in the rat IV: assessing factors that contribute to brain accumulation during inhalation exposure,” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health A, vol. 71, no. 7, pp. 413–426, 2008.
- A. Nong, M. D. Taylor, H. J. Clewell, D. C. Dorman, and M. E. Andersen, “Manganese tissue dosimetry in rats and monkeys: accounting for dietary and inhaled Mn with physiologically based pharmacokinetic modeling,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 22–34, 2009.
- M. Yoon, A. Nong, H. J. Clewell, M. D. Taylor, D. C. Dorman, and M. E. Andersen, “Lactational transfer of manganese in rats: predicting manganese tissue concentration in the dam and pups from inhalation exposure with a pharmacokinetic model,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 23–43, 2009.
- M. Yoon, A. Nong, H. J. Clewell, M. D. Taylor, D. C. Dorman, and M. E. Andersen, “Evaluating placental transfer and tissue concentrations of manganese in the pregnant rat and fetuses after inhalation exposures with a PBPK model,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 44–58, 2009.
- S. Anjilvel and B. Asgharian, “A multiple-path model of particle deposition in the rat lung,” Fundamental and Applied Toxicology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 41–50, 1995.
- J. D. Schroeter, J. S. Kimbell, E. A. Gross et al., “Application of physiological computational fluid dynamics models to predict interspecies nasal dosimetry of inhaled acrolein,” Inhalation Toxicology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 227–243, 2008.
- J. D. Schroeter, A. Nong, M. Yoon et al., “Analysis of manganese tracer kinetics and target tissue dosimetry in monkeys and humans with multi-route physiologically based pharmacokinetic models,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 120, no. 2, pp. 481–498, 2011.
- M. Yoon, J. D. Schroeter, A. Nong et al., “Physiologically based pharmacokinetic modeling of fetal and neonatal manganese exposure in humans: describing manganese homeostasis during development,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 297–316, 2011.
- D. C. Dorman, M. F. Struve, M. W. Marshall, C. U. Parkinson, R. A. James, and B. A. Wong, “Tissue manganese concentrations in young male rhesus monkeys following subchronic manganese sulfate inhalation,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 201–210, 2006.
- T. Nagase, Y. Fukuchi, S. Teramoto, T. Matsuse, and H. Orimo, “Mechanical interdependence in relation to age: effects of lung volume on airway resistance in rats,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 1172–1177, 1994.
- P. H. Saldiva, M. P. Caldeira, and W. A. Zin, “Respiratory mechanics in the aging rat,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 863–868, 1988.
- J. L. Aschner and M. Aschner, “Nutritional aspects of manganese homeostasis,” Molecular Aspects of Medicine, vol. 26, no. 4-5, pp. 353–362, 2005.
- H. J. Clewell III, G. A. Lawrence, D. B. Calne, and K. S. Crump, “Determination of an occupational exposure guideline for manganese using the benchmark method,” Risk Analysis, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 1031–1046, 2003.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA), “Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS) Manganese (CASRN 7439-96-5) Reference Concentration for Chronic Inhalation Exposure (RfC),” 1993, http://www.epa.gov/iris/subst/0373.htm.
- M. E. Meek, A. Renwick, E. Ohanian et al., “Guidelines for application of chemical-specific adjustment factors in dose/concentration-response assessment,” Toxicology, vol. 181-182, pp. 115–120, 2002.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Office of the Science Advisor, “Guidance for Applying Quantitative Data to Develop Data-Derived Extrapolation Factors for Interspecies and Intraspecies Extrapolation,” 2011, http://www.epa.gov/raf/DDEF/index.htm.
- M. S. Desole, G. Esposito, R. Migheli et al., “Cellular defence mechanisms in the striatum of young and aged rats subchronically exposed to manganese,” Neuropharmacology, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 289–295, 1995.
- A. B. Santamaria, C. A. Cushing, J. M. Antonini, B. L. Finley, and F. S. Mowat, “State-of-the-science review: does manganese exposure during welding pose a neurological risk?” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health B, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 417–465, 2007.
- D. C. Dorman, B. E. McManus, M. W. Marshall, R. A. James, and M. F. Struve, “Old age and gender influence the pharmacokinetics of inhaled manganese sulfate and manganese phosphate in rats,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 197, no. 2, pp. 113–124, 2004.
- D. L. Schmucker, “Aging and the liver: an update,” Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. B315–B320, 1998.
- S. O. Ross and C. E. Forsmark, “Pancreatic and biliary disorders in the elderly,” Gastroenterology Clinics of North America, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 531–545, 2001.
- L. Wang, F. H. Y. Green, S. M. Smiley-Jewell, and K. E. Pinkerton, “Susceptibility of the aging lung to environmental injury,” Seminars in Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 539–553, 2010.
- A. Bhutto and J. E. Morley, “The clinical significance of gastrointestinal changes with aging,” Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 651–660, 2008.
- J. A. Menezes-Filho, M. Bouchard, P. De, and J. C. Moreira, “Manganese exposure and the neuropsychological effect on children and adolescents: a review,” Revista Panamericana de Salud Publica, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 541–548, 2009.
- B. S. Winder, A. G. Salmon, and M. A. Marty, “Inhalation of an essential metal: development of reference exposure levels for manganese,” Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 57, no. 2-3, pp. 195–199, 2010.
- M. Aschner, “Manganese: Brain transport and emerging research needs,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 108, no. 3, pp. 429–432, 2000.
- C. Rose, R. F. Butterworth, J. Zayed et al., “Manganese deposition in basal ganglia structures results from both portal-systemic shunting and liver dysfunction,” Gastroenterology, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 640–644, 1999.
- L. Annet, R. Materne, E. Danse, J. Jamart, Y. Horsmans, and B. E. Van Beers, “Hepatic flow parameters measured with MR imaging and Doppler US: correlations with degree of cirrhosis and portal hypertension,” Radiology, vol. 229, no. 2, pp. 409–414, 2003.
- J. E. Restrepo and W. D. Warren, “Total liver blood flow after portacaval shunts, hepatic artery ligation and 70 per cent hepatectomy,” Annals of surgery, vol. 156, pp. 719–726, 1962.
- D. R. Hunt, “Changes in liver flow with development of biliary obstruction in the rat,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 733–737, 1979.
- M. H. F. El-Shabrawi, M. El-Raziky, M. Sheiba et al., “Value of duplex doppler ultrasonography in non-invasive assessment of children with chronic liver disease,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 48, pp. 6139–6144, 2010.
- M. Trauner, P. J. Meier, and J. L. Boyer, “Molecular regulation of hepatocellular transport systems in cholestasis,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 165–178, 1999.
- E. A. Rodriguez-Garay, C. Larocca, G. Pisani, M. Del Luján Alvarez, and G. P. Rodriguez, “Adaptive hepatic changes in mild stenosis of the common bile duct in the rat,” Research in Experimental Medicine, vol. 198, no. 6, pp. 307–323, 1999.
- J. B. Das, I. L. Uzoaru, and G. G. Ansari, “Biliary lithocholate and cholestasis during and after total parenteral nutrition: an experimental study,” Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 210, no. 3, pp. 253–259, 1995.
- M. B. Reddy, R. S. H. Yang, M. E. Andersen, and H. J. Clewell III, Physiologically Based Pharmacokinetic Modeling: Science and Applications, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2005.
- Institute of Medicine (IOM) The National Academy of Sciences, Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Arsenic, Boron, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Silicon, Vanadium, and Zinc, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2001.
- C. E. Hack, T. R. Covington, G. Lawrence et al., “A pharmacokinetic model of the intracellular dosimetry of inhaled nickel,” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health A, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 445–464, 2007.
- P. S. Price, R. B. Conolly, C. F. Chaisson et al., “Modeling interindividual variation in physiological factors used in PBPK models of humans,” Critical Reviews in Toxicology, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 469–503, 2003.
- S. F. Clark, “Iron deficiency anemia,” Nutrition in Clinical Practice, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 128–141, 2008.
- K. M. Erikson, T. Syversen, E. Steinnes, and M. Aschner, “Globus pallidus: a target brain region for divalent metal accumulation associated with dietary iron deficiency,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 335–341, 2004.
- V. A. Fitsanakis, N. Zhang, M. J. Avison, K. M. Erikson, J. C. Gore, and M. Aschner, “Changes in dietary iron exacerbate regional brain manganese accumulation as determined by magnetic resonance imaging,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 146–153, 2011.
- J. D. Park, K. Y. Kim, D. W. Kim et al., “Tissue distribution of manganese in iron-sufficient or iron-deficient rats after stainless steel welding-fume exposure,” Inhalation Toxicology, vol. 19, no. 6-7, pp. 563–572, 2007.
- K. M. Erikson and M. Aschner, “Increased manganese uptake by primary astrocyte cultures with altered iron status is mediated primarily by divalent metal transporter,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 125–130, 2006.
- B. B. Williams, G. F. Kwakye, M. Wegrzynowicz et al., “Altered manganese homeostasis and manganese toxicity in a huntington's disease striatal cell model are not explained by defects in the iron transport system,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 169–179, 2010.
- R. S. H. Yang, L. W. Chang, C. S. Yang, and P. Lin, “Pharmacokinetics and physiologically-based pharmacokinetic modeling of nanoparticles,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 8482–8490, 2010.
- Y. S. Cheng, H. C. Yeh, R. A. Guilmette, S. Q. Simpson, K. H. Cheng, and D. L. Swift, “Nasal deposition of ultrafine particles in human volunteers and its relationship to airway geometry,” Aerosol Science and Technology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 274–291, 1996.
- M. Simkó and M. O. Mattsson, “Risks from accidental exposures to engineered nanoparticles and neurological health effects: a critical review,” Particle and Fibre Toxicology, vol. 7, article no. 42, 2010.
- W. Yang, J. I. Peters, and R. O. Williams, “Inhaled nanoparticles—a current review,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 356, no. 1-2, pp. 239–247, 2008.
- W. I. Hagens, A. G. Oomen, W. H. de Jong, F. R. Cassee, and A. J. A. M. Sips, “What do we (need to) know about the kinetic properties of nanoparticles in the body?” Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 217–229, 2007.
- M. Li, K. T. Al-Jamal, K. Kostarelos, and J. Reineke, “Physiologically based pharmacokinetic modeling of nanoparticles,” ACS Nano, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 6303–6317, 2010.
- A. R. R. Péry, C. Brochot, P. H. M. Hoet, A. Nemmar, and F. Y. Bois, “Development of a physiologically based kinetic model for 99m-Technetium-labelled carbon nanoparticles inhaled by humans Human PBPK model for carbon nanoparticles,” Inhalation Toxicology, vol. 21, no. 13, pp. 1099–1107, 2009.
- D. P. K. Lankveld, A. G. Oomen, P. Krystek et al., “The kinetics of the tissue distribution of silver nanoparticles of different sizes,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 32, pp. 8350–8361, 2010.
- G. Oszlánczi, T. Vezér, L. Sárközi, E. Horváth, Z. Kónya, and A. Papp, “Functional neurotoxicity of Mn-containing nanoparticles in rats,” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 73, no. 8, pp. 2004–2009, 2010.
- A. Elder, R. Gelein, V. Silva et al., “Translocation of inhaled ultrafine manganese oxide particles to the central nervous system,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 114, no. 8, pp. 1172–1178, 2006.
- T. L. Leavens, D. Rao, M. E. Andersen, and D. C. Dorman, “Evaluating transport of manganese from olfactory mucosa to striatum by pharmacokinetic modeling,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 265–278, 2007.
- D. C. Dorman, M. F. Struve, B. A. Wong, J. A. Dye, and I. D. Robertson, “Correlation of brain magnetic resonance imaging changes with pallidal manganese concentrations in rhesus monkeys following subchronic manganese inhalation,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 219–227, 2006.
- D. Vitarella, O. Moss, and D. C. Dorman, “Pulmonary clearance of manganese phosphate, manganese sulfate, and manganese tetraoxide by CD rats following intratracheal instillation,” Inhalation Toxicology, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 941–957, 2000.
- S. M. Hussain, A. K. Javorina, A. M. Schrand, H. M. H. M. Duhart, S. F. Ali, and J. J. Schlager, “The interaction of manganese nanoparticles with PC-12 cells induces dopamine depletion,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 456–463, 2006.
- R. Gwiazda, R. Lucchini, and D. Smith, “Adequacy and consistency of animal studies to evaluate the neurotoxicity of chronic low-level manganese exposure in humans,” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health A, vol. 70, no. 7, pp. 594–605, 2007.
- M. E. Andersen, D. C. Dorman, H. J. Clewell III, M. D. Taylor, and A. Nong, “Multi-dose-route, Multi-Species pharmacokinetic models for manganese and their use in risk assessment,” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health A, vol. 73, no. 2-3, pp. 217–234, 2010.
- M. Lu and D. Fu, “Structure of the zinc transporter YiiP,” Science, vol. 317, no. 5845, pp. 1746–1748, 2007.
- B. R. Chandra, M. Yogavel, and A. Sharma, “Structural analysis of ABC-family periplasmic zinc binding protein provides new insights into mechanism of ligand uptake and release,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 367, no. 4, pp. 970–982, 2007.
- R. J. McMahon and R. J. Cousins, “Mammalian zinc transporters,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 128, no. 4, pp. 667–670, 1998.
- D. H. Nies, “How cells control zinc homeostasis,” Science, vol. 317, no. 5845, pp. 1695–1696, 2007.