- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Thermodynamics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 575728, 6 pages
Glass Transition Behavior of the Quaternary Ammonium-Type Ionic Liquid: N,N-Diethyl-N-methyl-N-(2-methoxyethyl)ammonium Bromide-H2O Mixtures
1Department of Applied Chemistry, National Defense Academy, Yokosuka, Kanagawa 239-8686, Japan
2Department of Materials Science and Engineering, National Defense Academy, Yokosuka, Kanagawa 239-8686, Japan
3Department of Applied Chemistry, Ritsumeikan University, Kusatsu, Shiga 525-8577, Japan
Received 14 July 2011; Revised 22 August 2011; Accepted 23 August 2011
Academic Editor: Ramesh Gardas
Copyright © 2012 Yukihiro Yoshimura et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Sato, G. Masuda, and K. Takagi, “Electrochemical properties of novel ionic liquids for electric double layer capacitor applications,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 49, pp. 3603–3611, 2004.
- M. J. Earle, P. B. McCormac, and K. R. Seddon, “Diels-Alder reactions in ionic liquids: a safe recyclable alternative to lithium perchlorate-diethyl ether mixtures,” Green Chemistry, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 23–25, 1999.
- D. Kerle, R. Ludwig, A. Geiger, and D. Paschek, “Temperature dependence of the solubility of carbon dioxide in imidazolium-based ionic liquids,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 113, no. 38, pp. 12727–12735, 2009.
- M. Galiński, A. Lewandowski, and I. Stepniak, “Ionic liquids as electrolytes,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 51, no. 26, pp. 5567–5580, 2006.
- Y. Imai, H. Abe, T. Goto, Y. Yoshimura, Y. Michishita, and H. Matsumoto, “Structure and thermal property of N,N-diethyl-N-methyl-2-methoxyethyl ammonium tetrafluoroborate-H2O mixtures,” Chemical Physics, vol. 352, pp. 224–230, 2008.
- W. Xu, L. M. Wang, R. A. Nieman, and C. A. Angell, “Ionic liquids of chelated orthoborates as model ionic glassformers,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 107, no. 42, pp. 11749–11756, 2003.
- J. G. Huddleston, A. E. Visser, W. M. Reichert, H. D. Willauer, G. A. Broker, and R. D. Rogers, “Characterization and comparison of hydrophilic and hydrophobic room temperature ionic liquids incorporating the imidazolium cation,” Green Chemistry, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 156–164, 2001.
- J. L. Anderson, J. Ding, T. Welton, and D. W. Armstrong, “Characterizing ionic liquids on the basis of multiple solvation interactions,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 124, no. 47, pp. 14247–14254, 2002.
- K. R. Seddon, A. Stark, and M. J. Torres, “Influence of chloride, water, and organic solvents on the physical properties of ionic liquids,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 72, no. 12, pp. 2275–2287, 2000.
- K. Nishikawa and K. I. Tozaki, “Intermittent crystallization of an ionic liquid: 1-isopropyl-3-methylimidazolium bromide,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 463, no. 4–6, pp. 369–372, 2008.
- G. J. Kabo, A. V. Blokhin, Y. U. Paulechka, A. G. Kabo, M. P. Shymanovich, and J. W. Magee, “Thermodynamic properties of 1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium hexafluorophosphate in the condensed state,” Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 453–461, 2004.
- O. Yamamuro, Y. Minamimoto, Y. Inamura, S. Hayashi, and H. O. Hamaguchi, “Heat capacity and glass transition of an ionic liquid 1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium chloride,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 423, no. 4-6, pp. 371–375, 2006.
- Y. Imai, H. Abe, T. Miyashita, T. Goto, H. Matsumoto, and Y. Yoshimura, “Two glass transitions in N, N- diethyl-N-methyl-N-(2-methoxyethyl) ammonium tetrafluoroborate-H2O mixed solutions,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 486, no. 1–3, pp. 37–39, 2010.
- Y. Imai, H. Abe, H. Matsumoto, O. Shimada, T. Hanasaki, and Y. Yoshimura, “Glass transition behaviour of the quaternary ammonium type ionic liquid, [DEME][I]-H2O mixtures,” Journal of Chemical Thermodynamics, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 319–322, 2011.
- R. Kiefer, S. Y. Chu, P. A. Kilmartin, G. A. Bowmaker, R. P. Cooney, and J. Travas-Sejdic, “Mixed-ion linear actuation behaviour of polypyrrole,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 52, no. 7, pp. 2386–2391, 2007.
- H. D. B. Jenkins, H. K. Roobottom, J. Passmore, and L. Glasser, “Relationships among ionic lattice energies, molecular (formula unit) volumes, and thermochemical radii,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 38, no. 16, pp. 3609–3620, 1999.
- M. S. Sethi and M. Satake, Periodic Tables and Periodic Properties, Discovery Publishing House, Delhi, India, 2003.
- E. R. Nightingale Jr., “Phenomenological theory of ion solvation. Effective radii of hydrated ions,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 1381–1387, 1959.
- Z. B. Zhou, H. Matsumoto, and K. Tatsumi, “Low-melting, low-viscous, hydrophobic ionic liquids: aliphatic quaternary ammonium salts with perfluoroalkyltrifluoroborates,” Chemistry—A European Journal, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 752–766, 2005.
- Y. Imai, H. Abe, T. Goto, Y. Yoshimura, Y. Michishita, and H. Matsumoto, “Structure and thermal property of N, N- diethyl-N-methyl-N-2-methoxyethyl ammonium tetrafluoroborate-H2O mixtures,” Chemical Physics, vol. 352, no. 1–3, pp. 224–230, 2008.
- H. Kanno, K. Shimada, and K. Katoh, “Two glass transitions in the tetraethylammonium chloride-water system: evidence for a metastable liquid-liquid immiscibility at low temperatures,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 219–221, 1983.
- H. Kanno, K. Shimada, K. Yoshino, and T. Iwamoto, “Anomalous concentration dependence of the glass transition temperature for aqueous tetrapropylammonium chloride solution,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 112, no. 3, pp. 242–245, 1984.
- H. Kanno, K. Shimada, and T. Katoh, “A glass formation study of aqueous tetraalkylammonium halide solutions,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 93, no. 12, pp. 4981–4985, 1989.
- G. S. Fulcher, “Analysis of recent measurements of the viscosity of glasses,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 6, pp. 339–355, 1925.
- Y. Yoshimura, T. Goto, H. Abe, and Y. Imai, “Existence of nearly-free hydrogen bonds in an ionic liquid, N, N- diethyl-N-methyl-N-(2-methoxyethyl) ammonium tetrafluoroborate-water at 77 K,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 113, no. 23, pp. 8091–8095, 2009.
- L. Cammarata, S. G. Kazarian, P. A. Salter, and T. Welton, “Molecular states of water in room temperature ionic liquids,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 3, no. 23, pp. 5192–5200, 2001.
- H. Kanno and J. Hiraishi, “Raman spectroscopic study of aqueous LiX and CaX2 solutions (l, Br, and I) in the glassy state,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 87, no. 19, pp. 3664–3670, 1983.
- Y. Yoshimura, H. Kimura, C. Okamoto, T. Miyashita, Y. Imai, and H. Abe, “Glass transition behaviour of ionic liquid, 1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium tetrafluoroborate-H2O mixed solutions,” Journal of Chemical Thermodynamics, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 410–412, 2011.