- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Tropical Medicine
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 145891, 14 pages
Stigma of People with HIV/AIDS in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Literature Review
Department of Health Promotion, School of Public Health and Primary Care CAPHRI, Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Maastricht University, P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Received 25 November 2008; Revised 3 May 2009; Accepted 16 June 2009
Academic Editor: Jean-Paul Gonzalez
Copyright © 2009 Ngozi C. Mbonu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [23 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Reinhard H. Dennin, Michael Lafrenz, Arndt Sinn, and Lan-juan Li, “Dilemma of concepts and strategies for the prevention of spread of HIV in r elation to human behavior, law and human rights,” Journal of Zhejiang University-Science B, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 591–610, 2011.
- Morten Skovdal, Claudius Madanhire, Owen Mugurungi, Simon Gregson, and Constance Nyamukapa, “"We, the AIDS people ...": How Antiretroviral Therapy Enables Zimbabweans L iving With HIV/AIDS to Cope With Stigma,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 1004–1010, 2011.
- Galia Boneh, and Devan Jaganath, “Performance as a Component of HIV/AIDS Education: Process and Collaboration for Empowerment and Discussion,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 455–464, 2011.
- Ramsey A. Lyimo, Jossy van den Boogaard, Elizabeth Msoka, Harm J. Hospers, Andre van der Ven, Declare Mushi, and Marijn de Bruin, “Measuring adherence to antiretroviral therapy in northern Tanzania: feasibi lity and acceptability of the Medication Event Monitoring System,” Bmc Public Health, vol. 11, 2011.
- Katherine R. Sorsdahl, Sumaya Mall, Dan J. Stein, and John A. Joska, “The prevalence and predictors of stigma amongst people living with HIV/AIDS in the Western Province,” Aids Care-Psychological and Socio-Medical Aspects of Aids/Hiv, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 680–685, 2011.
- Ramin Asgary, Shyam Amin, Zoya Grigoryan, Ramesh Naderi, and Jane Aronson, “Perceived stigma and discrimination towards people living with HIV and AIDS in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: a qualitative approach,” Journal of Public Health, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 155–162, 2012.
- Maretha Visser, “Women, HIV and stigma,” Future Virology, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 529–532, 2012.
- Amrita Daftary, “HIV and tuberculosis: The construction and management of double stigma,” Social Science & Medicine, vol. 74, no. 10, pp. 1512–1519, 2012.
- Alan R. Lifson, Workneh Demissie, Alemayehu Tadesse, Kassu Ketema, Randy May, Bereket Yakob, Meka Metekia, Lucy Slater, and Tibebe Shenie, “HIV/AIDS stigma-associated attitudes in a rural Ethiopian community: charac teristics, correlation with HIV knowledge and other factors, and implicatio ns for community intervention,” Bmc International Health and Human Rights, vol. 12, 2012.
- Sharada P. Wasti, Padam Simkhada, Julian Randall, Jennifer V. Freeman, and Edwin van Teijlingen, “Factors Influencing Adherence to Antiretroviral Treatment in Nepal: A Mixed -Methods Study,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 5, 2012.
- Catherine C. McGowan, Kenneth A. Wallston, and Aaron M. Kipp, “Relationship between HIV Stigma and Self-Isolation among People Living with HIV in Tennessee,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 8, 2013.
- Fabienne Hejoaka, Edwige Mireille Belem, Pascal Louis Germain Compaore, Liezel Wolmarans, Andre Soubeiga, and Nathalie Ouangraoua, “Parental HIV disclosure in Burkina Faso: Experiences and challenges in the era of HAART,” Sahara J-Journal of Social Aspects of Hiv-Aids, vol. 10, pp. S46–S59, 2013.
- Ari Gnanasakthy, Carla DeMuro, and Caroline Boulton, “Integration of patient-reported outcomes in multiregional confirmatory clinical trials,” Contemporary Clinical Trials, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 62–69, 2013.
- Clifford Odimegwu, Sunday A. Adedini, and Dorothy N. Ononokpono, “HIV/AIDS stigma and utilization of voluntary counselling and testing in Nig eria,” Bmc Public Health, vol. 13, 2013.
- Miranda A. J. van Reeuwijk, Nathan Nshakira, Gerjo Kok, Arjan E. R. Bos, Robert A. C. Ruiter, and Liesbeth E. Rijsdijk, “Qualitative evaluation of the Teenage Mothers Project in Uganda: a communit y-based empowerment intervention for unmarried teenage mothers,” Bmc Public Health, vol. 13, 2013.
- B. Piel, E. Azria, L. Carbillon, and J. -F. Oury, “Terminations of pregnancy for maternal indications in the Paris area: A ret rospective multicenter study in the period between the 2001 French law on t ermination of pregnancy and the new bioethics law,” Journal De Gynecologie Obstetrique Et Biologie De La Reproduction, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 342–350, 2013.
- Carol Underwood, Zoé Hendrickson, Lynn M. Van Lith, John Eudes Lengwe Kunda, and Elizabeth C. Mallalieu, “Role of Community-Level Factors Across the Treatment Cascade,” JAIDS Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 66, pp. S311–S318, 2014.
- Patricia Anafi, Wisdom Kwadwo Mprah, and Ebenezer Asiamah, “HIV/AIDS Stigma and Persons Living with HIV/AIDS in Rural Ghana,” International Quarterly of Community Health Education, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 269–282, 2014.
- Joshua B. Mendelsohn, Tim Rhodes, Paul Spiegel, Marian Schilperoord, John Wagacha Burton, Susheela Balasundaram, Chunting Wong, and David A. Ross, “The limits to agency in humanitarian settings: a qualitative study of adherence to antiretroviral therapy among refugees situated in Kenya and Malaysia,” Social Science & Medicine, 2014.
- Mesfin Awoke Bekalu, and Steven Eggermont, “Exposure to HIV/AIDS-Related Media Content and HIV Testing Intention: Applying the Integrative Model of Behavioral Prediction,” Mass Communication and Society, pp. 140508135810009, 2014.
- Elsie Breet, Ashraf Kagee, and Soraya Seedat, “HIV-related stigma and symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder and depression in HIV-infected individuals: does social support play a mediating or moderating role?,” AIDS Care, pp. 1–5, 2014.
- Winifred Imoyera, Samuel Olowookere, and Christina Zarowsky, “Living well with HIV in Nigeria? Stigma and survival challenges preventing optimum benefit from an ART clinic,” Global Health Promotion, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 13–22, 2014.
- Ashley Wynne, Solina Richter, Gian S. Jhangri, Arif Alibhai, Tom Rubaale, and Walter Kipp, “Tuberculosis and human immunodeficiency virus: exploring stigma in a community in western Uganda,” AIDS Care, pp. 1–7, 2014.