- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Tropical Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 120496, 9 pages
Frequency and Clinical Features of Dengue Infection in a Schoolchildren Cohort from Medellin, Colombia
1Instituto Colombiano de Medicina Tropical, Universidad CES, Carrera 43, No. 52S99, Sabaneta, Colombia
2Department of Pathobiological Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1656 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Received 30 August 2012; Accepted 8 November 2012
Academic Editor: Paban K. Dash
Copyright © 2012 Berta Nelly Restrepo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization. Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases (TDR). Dengue Guidelines for Diagnosis, Treatment, Prevention and Control, 2009.
- Instituto Nacional de Salud. Estadística en Salud Pública. Vigilancia rutinaria, 2012, http://www.ins.gov.co/?idcategoria=85465#.
- Instituto Nacional de Salud. Colombia. Boletín no. 29 de Vigilancia Epidemia por Dengue en Colombia, 2010,http://188.8.131.52/index.php?idcategoria=38875.
- Dirección Seccional de Salud de Antioquia. Enfermedades transmitidas por vectores, 2000–2010. Incidencia de dengue y dengue y dengue grave, por municipios y regiones. Antioquia, 2000–2010, http://www.dssa.gov.co/index.php/estadisticas/eventos-de-salud-publica.
- A. Balmaseda, S. N. Hammond, Y. Tellez et al., “High seroprevalence of antibodies against dengue virus in a prospective study of schoolchildren in Managua, Nicaragua,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 935–942, 2006.
- G. Comach, P. J. Blair, G. Sierra et al., “Dengue virus infections in a cohort of schoolchildren from Maracay, Venezuela: a 2-year prospective study,” Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 87–92, 2009.
- T. P. Endy, S. Chunsuttiwat, A. Nisalak et al., “Epidemiology of inapparent and symptomatic acute dengue virus infection: a prospective study of primary school children in Kamphaeng Phet, Thailand,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 156, no. 1, pp. 40–51, 2002.
- D. S. Burke, A. Nisalak, D. E. Johnson, and R. Scott McN. R., “A prospective study of dengue infections in Bangkok,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 172–180, 1988.
- K. T. D. Thai, T. Q. Binh, P. T. Giao et al., “Seroprevalence of dengue antibodies, annual incidence and risk factors among children in southern Vietnam,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 379–386, 2005.
- N. T. K. Tien, C. Luxemburger, N. T. Toan et al., “A prospective cohort study of dengue infection in schoolchildren in Long Xuyen, Viet Nam,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 104, no. 9, pp. 592–600, 2010.
- Convenio DANE y Municipio de Medellín, 2009. Municipio de Medellín: Proyecciones de población (2006–2015), http://www.medellin.gov.co/irj/go/km/docs/wpccontent/Sites/Subportal%20del%20Ciudadano/Planeaci%C3%B3n%20Municipal/Secciones/Indicadores%20y%20Estad%C3%ADsticas/Documentos/Proyecciones%20de%20poblaci%C3%B3n%202005%20-%202015/0%20Libro%20Proyecciones%202006%20-%202015.pdf.
- R. S. Lanciotti, C. H. Calisher, D. J. Gubler, G. J. Chang, and A. V. Vorndam, “Rapid detection and typing of dengue viruses from clinical samples by using reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 545–551, 1992.
- E. Harris, T. G. Roberts, L. Smith et al., “Typing of dengue viruses in clinical specimens and mosquitoes by single- tube multiplex reverse transcriptase PCR,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 2634–2639, 1998.
- G. Kuno, A Manual of Cell Culture Techniques of Small Arbovirus Diagnostic Laboratories, Dengue Branch, Division of vector-Borne Infectious Diseases, Center for Disease control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 1993.
- Organización Panamericana de la Salud. Dengue y Dengue Hemorrágico en las Américas: Guías para su Prevención y Control. Publicación Científica no. 578. 1995.
- World Health Organization, Decision Making for the Judicious Use of Insecticides, World Health Organization, Washington, DC, USA, 2004.
- World Health Organization, Regional Office for the Western Pacific (WPRO), Guidelines for Dengue Surveillance and Mosquito Control, Western Pacific Education in Action Series no. 8, World Health Organization, Manila, Philippines, 1995.
- I.-K. Yoon, A. L. Rothman, D. Tannitisupawong et al., “Underrecognized mildly symptomatic viremic dengue virus infections in rural thai schools and villages,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 206, no. 3, pp. 389–398, 2012.
- Secretaria de Salud de Medellín. Comportamiento del dengue en Medellín. Informe Interno, 2010-2011.
- D. J. Gubler, “How effectively is epidemiological surveillance used for dengue programme planning and epidemic response?” Dengue Bulletin, vol. 26, pp. 96–106, 2002.
- L. T. Figueiredo, S. M. Cavalcante, and M. C. Simões, “Dengue serologic survey of schoolchildren in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in 1986 and 1987,” Bulletin of the Pan American Health Organization, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 217–225, 1990.
- M. D. G. Teixeira, M. L. Barreto, M. D. C. N. Costa, L. D. A. Ferreira, P. F. C. Vasconcelos, and S. Cairncross, “Dynamics of dengue virus circulation: a silent epidemic in a complex urban area,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 757–762, 2002.
- F. Espinoza, C. M. Hernández, R. Rendón, M. L. Carrillo, and J. C. Flores, “Interepidemic transmission of dengue in Colima City, Mexico,” Salud Publica de Mexico, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 365–370, 2003.
- L. M. Bartley, H. Carabin, N. Vinh Chau et al., “Assessment of the factors associated with flavivirus seroprevalence in a population in Southern Vietnam,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 128, no. 2, pp. 213–220, 2002.
- T. P. Endy, A. Nisalak, S. Chunsuttiwat et al., “Spatial and temporal circulation of dengue virus serotypes: a prospective study of primary school children in Kamphaeng Phet, Thailand,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 156, no. 1, pp. 52–59, 2002.
- T. P. Endy, K. B. Anderson, A. Nisalak et al., “Determinants of inapparent and symptomatic dengue infection in a prospective study of primary school children in Kamphaeng Phet, Thailand,” PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 5, no. 3, article e975, 2011.
- S. B. Halstead, “Pathogenisis of dengue: challenges to molecular biology,” Science, vol. 239, no. 4839, pp. 476–481, 1988.
- I. Kurane and F. A. Ennis, “Inmunopathogenesis of dengue virus infections,” in Dengue and Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever, D. J. Gubler and G. Kuno, Eds., pp. 273–290, CAB International, 1997.
- S. B. Halstead, T. G. Streit, J. G. Lafontant et al., “Haiti: absence of dengue hemorrhagic fever despite hyperendemic dengue virus transmission,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 180–183, 2001.
- J. R. Bravo, M. G. Guzmán, and G. P. Kouri, “Why dengue haemorrhagic fever in Cuba? I. Individual risk factors for dengue haemorrhagic fever/dengue shock syndrome (DHF/DSS),” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 816–820, 1987.
- R. E. Blanton, L. K. Silva, V. G. Morato et al., “Genetic ancestry and income are associated with dengue hemorrhagic fever in a highly admixed population,” European Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 762–765, 2008.
- B. N. Restrepo, R. E. Ramirez, M. Arboleda, G. Alvarez, M. Ospina, and F. J. Diaz, “Serum levels of cytokines in two ethnic groups with dengue virus infection,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 673–677, 2008.
- A. Suwandono, H. Kosasih, Nurhayati et al., “Four dengue virus serotypes found circulating during an outbreak of dengue fever and dengue haemorrhagic fever in Jakarta, Indonesia, during 2004,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 100, no. 9, pp. 855–862, 2006.
- S. Kalayanarooj, D. W. Vaughn, S. Nimmannitya et al., “Early clinical and laboratory indicators of acute dengue illness,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 176, no. 2, pp. 313–321, 1997.
- H. L. Phuong, P. J. De Vries, N. Nagelkerke et al., “Acute undifferentiated fever in Binh Thuan province, Vietnam: imprecise clinical diagnosis and irrational pharmaco-therapy,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 869–879, 2006.
- D. Chadwick, B. Arch, A. Wilder-Smith, and N. Paton, “Distinguishing dengue fever from other infections on the basis of simple clinical and laboratory features: application of logistic regression analysis,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 147–153, 2006.
- X. Deparis, B. Murgue, C. Roche, O. Cassar, and E. Chungue, “Changing clinical and biological manifestations of dengue during the dengue-2 epidemic in French Polynesia in 1996/97—description and analysis in a prospective study,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 3, no. 11, pp. 859–865, 1998.
- F. R. F. Nunes-Araújo, M. S. Ferreira, and S. D. A. Nishioka, “Dengue fever in Brazilian adults and children: assessment of clinical findings and their validity for diagnosis,” Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 415–419, 2003.
- S. N. Hammond, A. Balmaseda, L. Pérez et al., “Differences in dengue severity in infants, children, and adults in a 3-year hospital-based study in Nicaragua,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 1063–1070, 2005.
- I. K. Lee, W. H. Lee, J. W. Liu, and K. D. Yang, “Acute myocarditis in dengue hemorrhagic fever: a case report and review of cardiac complications in dengue-affected patients,” International Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. e919–e922, 2010.
- V. La-Orkhun, P. Supachokchaiwattana, P. Lertsapcharoen, and A. Khongphatthanayothin, “Spectrum of cardiac rhythm abnormalities and heart rate variability during the convalescent stage of dengue virus infection: a Holter study,” Annals of Tropical Paediatrics, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 123–128, 2011.