- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Thyroid Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 481568, 8 pages
Radioiodine Thyroid Remnant Ablation after Recombinant Human Thyrotropin or Thyroid Hormone Withdrawal in Patients with High-Risk Differentiated Thyroid Cancer
1Division of Endocrinology, Hospital de Clínicas, University of Buenos Aires, Córdoba 2351, 5th Floor, Buenos Aires 1424, Argentina
2Division of Medical Editing, Spencer-Fontayne Corporation, 33 Bentley Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07304-1901, USA
3Division of Endocrinology, Hospital Churruca Visca, Uspallata 3400, Buenos Aires 1437, Argentina
4Division of Endocrinology, Consultorios Integrados Rosario, Italia 424, Santa Fe, Rosario 2000, Argentina
Received 16 August 2012; Accepted 17 October 2012
Academic Editor: Daniele Barbaro
Copyright © 2012 Fabián Pitoia et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. L. Mazzaferri, “What is the optimal initial treatment of low-risk papillary thyroid cancer (and why is it controversial)?” Oncology, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 579–588, 2009.
- D. S. Cooper, G. M. Doherty, B. R. Haugen et al., “Revised American Thyroid Association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer,” Thyroid, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1167–1214, 2009.
- F. Pitoia, L. Ward, N. Wohllk et al., “Recommendations of the Latin American Thyroid Society on diagnosis and management of differentiated thyroid cancer,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Endocrinologia e Metabologia, vol. 53, no. 7, pp. 884–897, 2009.
- F. Pacini, P. W. Ladenson, M. Schlumberger et al., “Radioiodine ablation of thyroid remnants after preparation with recombinant human thyrotropin in differentiated thyroid carcinoma: results of an international, randomized, controlled study,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 926–932, 2006.
- F. Pitoia and H. Niepomniszcze, “Recombinant human TSH: the Argentinean experience,” Thyroid, vol. 19, no. 7, p. 799, 2009.
- F. Pitoia, E. El Tamer, D. B. Schere, M. Passerieu, O. D. Bruno, and H. Niepomniszcze, “Usefulness of recombinant human TSH aided radioiodine doses administered in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma,” Medicina, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 125–130, 2006.
- S. Iorcansky, V. Herzovich, R. R. Qualey, and R. M. Tuttle, “Serum thyrotropin (TSH) levels after recombinant human TSH injections in children and teenagers with papillary thyroid cancer,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 90, no. 12, pp. 6553–6555, 2005.
- F. Pitoia, V. Ilera, M. B. Zanchetta, A. Foffano, and H. Niepomniszcze, “Optimum recombinant human thyrotropin dose in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma and end-stage renal disease,” Endocrine Practice, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 961–966, 2008.
- P. W. Rosário, A. C. M. Xavier, and M. R. Calsolari, “Recombinant human thyrotropin in thyroid remnant ablation with 131-iodine in high-risk patients,” Thyroid, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1247–1252, 2010.
- P. W. Rosário and A. C. M. Xavier, “Recombinant human thyroid stimulating hormone in thyroid remnant ablation with 1.1 GBq 131iodine in low-risk patients,” American Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 101–104, 2011.
- R. M. Tuttle, M. Brokhin, G. Omry et al., “Recombinant human TSH-assisted radioactive iodine remnant ablation achieves short-term clinical recurrence rates similar to those of traditional thyroid hormone withdrawal,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 764–770, 2008.
- H. P. Tala Jury, M. G. Castagna, C. Fioravanti, C. Cipri, E. Brianzoni, and F. Pacini, “Lack of association between urinary iodine excretion and successful thyroid ablation in thyroid cancer patients,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 230–237, 2010.
- M. Chianelli, V. Todino, F. M. Graziano et al., “Low-activity (2.0 GBq; 54 mCi) radioiodine post-surgical remnant ablation in thyroid cancer: comparison between hormone withdrawal and use of rhTSH in low-risk patients,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 160, no. 3, pp. 431–436, 2009.
- U. Mallick, C. Harmer, B. Yap, et al., “Ablation with low-dose radioiodine and thyrotropin alfa in thyroid cancer,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 366, no. 18, pp. 1674–1685, 2012.
- M. Schlumberger, B. Catargi, I. Borget, et al., “Strategies of radioiodine ablation in patients with low-risk thyroid cancer,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 366, no. 18, pp. 1663–1673, 2012.
- J. Clerc, M. Bienvenu-Perrard, C. P. de Malleray, et al., “Outpatient thyroid remnant ablation using repeated low 131-iodine activities (740 MBq/20 mCix2) in patients with low-risk differentiated thyroid cancer,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 871–880, 2012.
- D. Taïeb, K. Baumstarck-Barrau, F. Sebag et al., “Heath-related quality of life in thyroid cancer patients following radioiodine ablation,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 9, article 33, 2011.
- J. Lee, M. J. Yun, K. H. Nam, W. Y. Chung, E. Y. Soh, and C. S. Park, “Quality of life and effectiveness comparisons of thyroxine withdrawal, triiodothyronine withdrawal, and recombinant thyroid-stimulating hormone administration for low-dose radioiodine remnant ablation of differentiated thyroid carcinoma,” Thyroid, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 173–179, 2010.
- F. Pitoia and S. Licht, “Evaluation of the effect of thyroid hormone withdrawal on quality of life in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma,” Glándulas Tiroides y Paratiroides, vol. 16, pp. 25–29, 2007 (Spanish).
- H. Hänscheid, M. Lassmann, M. Luster et al., “Iodine biokinetics and dosimetry in radioiodine therapy of thyroid cancer: procedures and results of a prospective international controlled study of ablation after rhTSH or hormone withdrawal,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 648–654, 2006.
- H. Remy, I. Borget, S. Leboulleux et al., “131I effective half-life and dosimetry in thyroid cancer patients,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 49, no. 9, pp. 1445–1450, 2008.
- P. W. Rosário, M. A. R. Borges, and S. Purisch, “Preparation with recombinant human thyroid-stimulating hormone for thyroid remnant ablation with 131I is associated with lowered radiotoxicity,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 1776–1782, 2008.
- R. Elisei, M. Schlumberger, A. Driedger et al., “Follow-up of low-risk differentiated thyroid cancer patients who underwent radioiodine ablation of postsurgical thyroid remnants after either recombinant human thyrotropin or thyroid hormone withdrawal,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 94, no. 11, pp. 4171–4179, 2009.
- I. Borget, C. Corone, M. Nocaudie et al., “Sick leave for follow-up control in thyroid cancer patients: comparison between stimulation with Thyrogen and thyroid hormone withdrawal,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 156, no. 5, pp. 531–538, 2007.
- I. Borget, M. Schlumberger, M. Allyn, G. De Pouvoirville, H. Remy, and M. Ricard, “Radioiodine ablation in thyroid cancer patients: comparison of length and cost of hospital stay between preparation by thyroid hormone withdrawal and Thyrogen,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 1457–1463, 2008.
- T. F. Nijhuis, W. van Wepperen, and J. M. H. de Klerk, “Costs associated with the withdrawal of thyroid hormone suppression therapy during the follow-up treatment of well-differentiated thyroid cancer,” Tijdschrift voor Nucleaire Geneeskunde, vol. 21, pp. 98–100, 1999.
- M. Luster, R. Felbinger, M. Dietlein, and C. Reiners, “Thyroid hormone withdrawal in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma: a one hundred thirty-patient pilot survey on consequences of hypothyroidism and a pharmacoeconomic comparison to recombinant thyrotropin administration,” Thyroid, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 1147–1155, 2005.
- J. A. Vallejo Casas, L. M. Mena Bares, M. A. Galvez, R. J. Marlowe, J. M. Latre Romero, and M. Martínez-Paredes, “Treatment room length-of-stay and patient throughput with radioiodine thyroid remnant ablation in differentiated thyroid cancer: comparison of thyroid-stimulating hormone stimulation methods,” Nuclear Medicine Communications, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 840–846, 2011.
- R. M. Tuttle, N. Lopez, R. Leboeuf et al., “Radioactive iodine administered for thyroid remnant ablation following recombinant human thyroid stimulating hormone preparation also has an important adjuvant therapy function,” Thyroid, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 257–263, 2010.
- J. Hugo, E. Robenshtok, R. Grewal, S. M. Larson, and R. M. Tuttle, “Recombinant human TSH-assisted radioactive iodine remnant ablation in thyroid cancer patients at intermediate to high risk of recurrence,” Thyroid, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1007–1015, 2012.
- H. Tala and R. M. Tuttle, “Contemporary post surgical management of differentiated thyroid carcinoma,” Clinical Oncology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 419–429, 2010.
- F. Green, D. L. Page, I. D. Fleming, et al., AJCC Cancer Staging Manual, Springer, Chicago, Ill, USA, 6th edition, 2002.
- F. Pitoia, E. El Tamer, M. E. Salvai, and H. Niepomniszcze, “Protocol for thyroid remnant ablation after recombinant TSH in thyroid carcinoma,” Medicina, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 148–152, 2009.
- D. Barbaro, G. Boni, G. Meucci et al., “Radioiodine treatment with 30 mCi after recombinant human thyrotropin stimulation in thyroid cancer: effectiveness for postsurgical remnants ablation and possible role of iodine content in L-thyroxine in the outcome of ablation,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 88, no. 9, pp. 4110–4115, 2003.