- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Thyroid Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 615846, 7 pages
Clinical and Economic Outcomes of Thyroid Surgery in Elderly Patients: A Systematic Review
Department of Surgery, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Received 18 March 2012; Accepted 21 April 2012
Academic Editor: Juan José Diez
Copyright © 2012 Michael C. Sullivan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- “Sixty-five plus in the United States,” U.S. Census Bureau, 2011, http://www.census.gov/population/socdemo/statbriefs/agebrief.html.
- C. Christmas, M. A. Makary, and J. R. Burton, “Medical considerations in older surgical patients,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 203, no. 5, pp. 746–751, 2006.
- “National Hospital Discharge Survey,” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2012, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhds/nhds_tables.htm#number.
- D. A. Etzioni, J. H. Liu, M. A. Maggard, and C. Y. Ko, “The aging population and its impact on the surgery workforce,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 238, no. 2, pp. 170–177, 2003.
- D. A. Etzioni, J. H. Liu, M. A. Maggard, J. B. O'Connell, and C. Y. Ko, “Workload projections for surgical oncology: will we need more surgeons?” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 1112–1117, 2003.
- M. Papaleontiou and M. R. Haymart, “Approach to and treatment of thyroid disorders in the elderly,” Medical Clinics of North America, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 297–310, 2012.
- S. U. Rehman, D. W. Cope, A. D. Senseney, and W. Brzezinski, “Thyroid disorders in elderly patients,” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 543–549, 2005.
- A. Rios, J. M. Rodriguez, P. J. Galindo, M. Canteras, and P. Parrilla, “Surgical treatment for multinodular goitres in geriatric patients,” Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery, vol. 390, no. 3, pp. 236–242, 2005.
- M. Raffaelli, R. Bellantone, P. Princi et al., “Surgical treatment of thyroid diseases in elderly patients,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 200, no. 4, pp. 467–472, 2010.
- R. Bliss, N. Patel, A. Guinea, T. S. Reeve, and L. Delbridge, “Age is no contraindication to thyroid surgery,” Age and Ageing, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 363–366, 1999.
- P. A. Singer, D. S. Cooper, E. G. Levy, et al., “Treatment guidelines for patients with hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. Standards of Care Committee, American Thyroid Association,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 273, no. 10, pp. 808–812, 1995.
- S. Morganti, G. P. Ceda, M. Saccani et al., “Thyroid disease in the elderly: sex-related differences in clinical expression,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 101–104, 2005.
- A. Faggiano, M. Del Prete, F. Marciello, V. Marotta, V. Ramundo, and A. Colao, “Thyroid diseases in elderly,” Minerva Endocrinologica, vol. 36, pp. 211–231, 2011.
- P. Mitrou, S. A. Raptis, and G. Dimitriadis, “Thyroid disease in older people,” Maturitas, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 5–9, 2011.
- J. J. Diez, “Hyperthyroidism in patients older than 55 years: an analysis of the etiology and management,” Gerontology, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 316–323, 2003.
- C. Trivalle, J. Doucet, P. Chassagne et al., “Differences in the signs and symptoms of hyperthyroidism in older and younger patients,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 50–53, 1996.
- K. Boelaert, B. Torlinska, R. L. Holder, and J. A. Franklyn, “Older subjects with hyperthyroidism present with a paucity of symptoms and signs: a large cross-sectional study,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 2715–2726, 2010.
- E. L. Mazzaferri, “Management of a solitary thyroid nodule,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 328, no. 8, pp. 553–559, 1993.
- M. Shirodkar and S. A. Jabbour, “Endocrine incidentalomas,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 62, no. 9, pp. 1423–1431, 2008.
- J. D. Mortensen, L. B. Woolner, and W. A. Bennett, “Gross and microscopic findings in clinically normal thyroid glands,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 1270–1280, 1955.
- A. Belfiore, G. L. La Rosa, G. A. La Porta et al., “Cancer risk in patients with cold thyroid nodules: relevance of iodine intake, sex, age, and multinodularity,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 363–369, 1992.
- J. D. Lin, T. C. Chao, B. Y. Huang, S. T. Chen, H. Y. Chang, and C. Hsueh, “Thyroid cancer in the thyroid nodules evaluated by ultrasonography and fine-needle aspiration cytology,” Thyroid, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 708–717, 2005.
- “Thyroid Cancer,” National Cancer Institute, 2012, http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/thyroid.
- L. Davies and H. G. Welch, “Increasing incidence of thyroid cancer in the United States, 1973–2002,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 18, pp. 2164–2167, 2006.
- H. S. Park, S. A. Roman, and J. A. Sosa, “Treatment patterns of aging americans with differentiated thyroid cancer,” Cancer, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 20–30, 2010.
- B. A. Kilfoy, S. S. Devesa, M. H. Ward et al., “Gender is an age-specific effect modifier for papillary cancers of the thyroid gland,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 1092–1100, 2009.
- B. Aschebrook-Kilfoy, M. H. Ward, M. M. Sabra, and S. S. Devesa, “Thyroid cancer incidence patterns in the United States by histologic type, 1992–2006,” Thyroid, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 125–134, 2011.
- A. Toniato, C. Bernardi, A. Piotto, D. Rubello, and M. R. Pelizzo, “Features of papillary thyroid carcinoma in patients older than 75 years,” Updates in Surgery, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 115–118, 2011.
- L. Vini, S. L. Hyer, J. Marshall, R. A'Hern, and C. Harmer, “Long-term results in elderly patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 97, no. 11, pp. 2736–2742, 2003.
- V. Zaydfudim, I. D. Feurer, M. R. Griffin, and J. E. Phay, “The impact of lymph node involvement on survival in patients with papillary and follicular thyroid carcinoma,” Surgery, vol. 144, no. 6, pp. 1070–1078, 2008.
- E. L. Mazzaferri, “Long-term outcome of patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma: effect of therapy,” Endocrine Practice, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 469–476, 2000.
- R. W. Tsang, J. D. Brierley, W. J. Simpson, T. Panzarella, M. K. Gospodarowicz, and S. B. Sutcliffe, “The effects of surgery, radioiodine, and external radiation therapy on the clinical outcome of patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 375–388, 1998.
- E. Kebebew, P. H. Ituarte, A. E. Siperstein, Q. Y. Duh, and O. H. Clark, “Medullary thyroid carcinoma: clinical characteristics, treatment, prognostic factors, and a comparison of staging systems,” Cancer, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 1139–1148, 2000.
- S. Chiacchio, A. Lorenzoni, G. Boni, D. Rubello, R. Elisei, and G. Mariani, “Anaplastic thyroid cancer: prevalence, diagnosis and treatment,” Minerva Endocrinologica, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 341–357, 2008.
- B. H. H. Lang and C. Y. Lo, “Total thyroidectomy for multinodular goiter in the elderly,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 190, no. 3, pp. 418–423, 2005.
- C. Passler, R. Avanessian, K. Kaczirek, G. Prager, C. Scheuba, and B. Niederle, “Thyroid surgery in the geriatric patient,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 137, no. 11, pp. 1243–1248, 2002.
- D. S. Cooper, G. M. Doherty, B. R. Haugen et al., “Management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer,” Thyroid, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 109–142, 2006.
- B. Panigrahi, S. A. Roman, and J. A. Sosa, “Medullary thyroid cancer: are practice patterns in the united states discordant from american thyroid association guidelines?” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1490–1498, 2010.
- R. T. Kloos, C. Eng, D. B. Evans et al., “Medullary thyroid cancer: management guidelines of the American Thyroid Association,” Thyroid, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 565–612, 2009.
- M. W. Seybt, S. Khichi, and D. J. Terris, “Geriatric thyroidectomy: safety of thyroid surgery in an aging population,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 135, no. 10, pp. 1041–1044, 2009.
- T. S. Reeve, L. Delbridge, and P. Crummer, “Thyroid surgery in the elderly,” Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 54–57, 1987.
- P. Miccoli, P. Iacconi, G. M. Cecchini et al., “Thyroid surgery in patients aged over 80 years,” Acta Chirurgica Belgica, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 222–223, 1994.
- M. Mekel, A. E. Stephen, R. D. Gaz, Z. H. Perry, R. A. Hodin, and S. Parangi, “Thyroid surgery in octogenarians is associated with higher complication rates,” Surgery, vol. 146, no. 5, pp. 913–921, 2009.
- J. A. Sosa, P. J. Mehta, T. S. Wang, L. Boudourakis, and S. A. Roman, “A population-based study of outcomes from thyroidectomy in aging Americans: at what cost?” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 206, no. 6, pp. 1097–1105, 2008.
- J. A. Sosa, H. M. Bowman, J. M. Tielsch, N. R. Powe, T. A. Gordon, and R. Udelsman, “The importance of surgeon experience for clinical and economic outcomes from thyroidectomy,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 228, no. 3, pp. 320–330, 1998.
- C. T. Tuggle, L. S. Park, S. Roman, R. Udelsman, and J. A. Sosa, “Rehospitalization among elderly patients with thyroid cancer after thyroidectomy are prevalent and costly,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 2816–2823, 2010.
- “SEER-Medicare: Measurements and Methods,” National Cancer Institute, 2010, http://healthservices.cancer.gov/seermedicare/considerations/methods.html.
- J. A. Sosa, C. T. Tuggle, T. S. Wang et al., “Clinical and economic outcomes of thyroid and parathyroid surgery in children,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 93, no. 8, pp. 3058–3065, 2008.
- S. Kuy, S. A. Roman, R. Desai, and J. A. Sosa, “Outcomes following thyroid and parathyroid surgery in pregnant women,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 144, no. 5, pp. 399–406, 2009.
- S. Kuy, S. A. Roman, R. Desai, and J. A. Sosa, “Outcomes following cholecystectomy in pregnant and nonpregnant women,” Surgery, vol. 146, no. 2, pp. 358–366, 2009.
- J. D. Birkmeyer, T. A. Stukel, A. E. Siewers, P. P. Goodney, D. E. Wennberg, and F. L. Lucas, “Surgeon volume and operative mortality in the United States,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 349, no. 22, pp. 2117–2127, 2003.
- B. D. Saunders, R. M. Wainess, J. B. Dimick, G. M. Doherty, G. R. Upchurch, and P. G. Gauger, “Who performs endocrine operations in the United States?” Surgery, vol. 134, no. 6, pp. 924–931, 2003.
- R. M. Christley, “Power and error: increased risk of false positive results in underpowered studies,” The Open Epidemiology Journal, vol. 3, pp. 16–19, 2010.
- A. W. Chan and D. G. Altman, “Epidemiology and reporting of randomised trials published in PubMed journals,” The Lancet, vol. 365, no. 9465, pp. 1159–1162, 2005.
- M. A. Maggard, J. B. O'Connell, J. H. Liu, D. A. Etzioni, and C. Y. Ko, “Sample size calculations in surgery: are they done correctly?” Surgery, vol. 134, no. 2, pp. 275–279, 2003.
- B. M. Psaty and D. S. Siscovick, “Minimizing bias due to confounding by indication in comparative effectiveness research: the importance of restriction,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 304, no. 8, pp. 897–898, 2010.
- M. Adamina, U. Guller, W. P. Weber, and D. Oertli, “Propensity scores and the surgeon,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 389–394, 2006.