- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Thyroid Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 847108, 10 pages
Thyroid Cancer: Molecular Aspects and New Therapeutic Strategies
1Department of Medical Oncology, Ramón y Cajal University Hospital, 28034 Madrid, Spain
2Department of Endocrinology, Ramón y Cajal University Hospital, 28034 Madrid, Spain
3Department of Endocrinology, Vall d’Hebron University Hospital, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
4Department of Medical Oncology, Vall d’Hebron University Hospital, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
Received 1 March 2012; Accepted 13 May 2012
Academic Editor: Fausto Bogazzi
Copyright © 2012 Enrique Grande et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Asioli, L. A. Erickson, A. Righi et al., “Poorly differentiated carcinoma of the thyroid: validation of the Turin proposal and analysis of IMP3 expression,” Modern Pathology, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 1269–1278, 2010.
- A. Y. Chen, A. Jemal, and E. M. Ward, “Increasing incidence of differentiated thyroid cancer in the United States, 1988–2005,” Cancer, vol. 115, no. 16, pp. 3801–3807, 2009.
- L. Enewold, K. Zhu, E. Ron et al., “Rising thyroid cancer incidence in the United States by demographic and tumor characteristics, 1980–2005,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 784–791, 2009.
- K. Shimaoka, D. A. Schoenfeld, and W. D. DeWys, “A randomized trial of doxorubicin versus doxorubicin plus cisplatin in patients with advanced thyroid carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 56, no. 9, pp. 2155–2160, 1985.
- T. Kondo, S. Ezzat, and S. L. Asa, “Pathogenetic mechanisms in thyroid follicular-cell neoplasia,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 292–306, 2006.
- J. A. Sipos and M. H. Shah, “Thyroid cancer: emerging role for targeted therapies,” Therapeutic Advances in Medical Oncology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 3–16, 2010.
- E. Y. Soh, M. S. Eigelberger, K. J. Kim et al., “Neutralizing vascular endothelial growth factor activity inhibits thyroid cancer growth in vivo,” Surgery, vol. 128, no. 6, pp. 1059–1066, 2000.
- X. M. Yu, C. Y. Lo, W. F. Chan, K. Y. Lam, P. Leung, and J. M. Luk, “Increased expression of vascular endothelial growth factor C in papillary thyroid carcinoma correlates with cervical lymph node metastases,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 11, no. 22, pp. 8063–8069, 2005.
- M. S. Haq, R. V. McCready, and C. L. Harmer, “Treatment of advanced differentiated thyroid carcinoma with high activity radioiodine therapy,” Nuclear Medicine Communications, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 799–805, 2004.
- M. Schlumberge and S. Sherman, “Approach to the patient with advanced differentiated thyroid cancer,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 166, no. 1, pp. 5–11, 2011.
- A. Matuszczyk, S. Petersenn, A. Bockisch et al., “Chemotherapy with doxorubicin in progressive medullary and thyroid carcinoma of the follicular epithelium,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 210–213, 2008.
- L. Licitra, L. D. Locati, A. Greco, R. Granata, and P. Bossi, “Multikinase inhibitors in thyroid cancer,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 1012–1018, 2010.
- E. C. L. De Souza, A. C. Ferreira, and D. P. De Carvalho, “The mTOR protein as a target in thyroid cancer,” Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Targets, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 1099–1112, 2011.
- V. Marotta, A. Guerra, M. R. Sapio, and M. Vitale, “RET/PTC rearrangement in benign and malignant thyroid diseases: a clinical standpoint,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 165, no. 4, pp. 499–507, 2011.
- A. Bounacer, M. Schlumberger, R. Wicker et al., “Search for NTRK1 proto-oncogene rearrangements in human thyroid tumours originated after therapeutic radiation,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 308–314, 2000.
- V. Gupta-Abramson, A. B. Troxel, A. Nellore et al., “Phase II trial of sorafenib in advanced thyroid cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 29, pp. 4714–4719, 2008.
- R. T. Kloos, M. D. Ringel, M. V. Knopp et al., “Phase II trial of sorafenib in metastatic thyroid cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 1675–1684, 2009.
- M. Ahmed, Y. Barbachano, A. Riddell et al., “Analysis of the efficacy and toxicity of sorafenib in thyroid cancer: a phase II study in a UK based population,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 165, no. 2, pp. 315–322, 2011.
- H. Hoftijzer, K. A. Heemstra, H. Morreau et al., “Beneficial effects of sorafenib on tumor progression, but not on radioiodine uptake, in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 161, no. 6, pp. 923–931, 2009.
- J. Capdevila, L. Iglesias, I. Halperin et al., “Sorafenib in metastatic thyroid cancer,” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 209–216, 2012.
- S. Leboulleux, L. Bastholt, T. M. Krause, et al., “Vandetanib in locally advanced or metastatic differentiated thyroid cancer (papillary or follicular; DTC): a randomized, double-blind phase II trial,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Thyroid Congress, Abstract OC-023, Paris, France, 2010.
- E. E. W. Cohen, L. S. Rosen, E. E. Vokes et al., “Axitinib is an active treatment for all histologic subtypes of advanced thyroid cancer: results from a phase II study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 29, pp. 4708–4713, 2008.
- L. L. Carr, D. A. Mankoff, B. H. Goulart et al., “Phase II study of daily sunitinib in FDG-PET-positive, iodine-refractory differentiated thyroid cancer and metastatic medullary carcinoma of the thyroid with functional imaging correlation,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 16, no. 21, pp. 5260–5268, 2010.
- E. E. Cohen, B. M. Needles, K. J. Cullen, et al., “Phase 2 study of sunitinib in refractory thyroid cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, supplement, abstract 6025, 2008.
- S. I. Sherman, B. Jarzab, M. E. Cabanillas, et al., “A phase II trial of the multitargeted kinase inhibitor E7080 in advanced radioiodine (RAI)-refractory differentiated thyroid cancer (DTC),” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, supplement, abstract 5503, 2011.
- S. I. Sherman, L. J. Wirth, J. P. Droz et al., “Motesanib diphosphate in progressive differentiated thyroid cancer,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 359, no. 1, pp. 31–42, 2008.
- K. C. Bible, V. J. Suman, J. R. Molina et al., “Efficacy of pazopanib in progressive, radioiodine-refractory, metastatic differentiated thyroid cancers: results of a phase 2 consortium study,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 962–972, 2010.
- S. A. Wells Jr., B. G. Robinson, R. F. Gagel et al., “Vandetanib in patients with locally advanced or metastatic medullary thyroid cancer: a randomized, double-blind phase III trial,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 134–141, 2012.
- R. Kurzrock, S. I. Sherman, D. W. Ball et al., “Activity of XL184 (cabozantinib), an oral tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with medullary thyroid cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 19, pp. 2660–2666, 2011.
- E. T. Lam, M. D. Ringel, R. T. Kloos et al., “Phase II clinical trial of sorafenib in metastatic medullary thyroid cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 14, pp. 2323–2330, 2010.
- M. J. Schlumberger, R. Elisei, L. Bastholt et al., “Phase II study of safety and efficacy of motesanib in patients with progressive or symptomatic, advanced or metastatic medullary thyroid cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 23, pp. 3794–3801, 2009.
- J. A. De Souza, N. Busaidy, A. Zimrin, et al., “Phase II trial of sunitinib in medullary thyroid cancer (MTC),” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, supplement, abstract 5504, no. 15s, 2010.
- L. Santarpia, J. N. Myers, S. I. Sherman, F. Trimarchi, G. L. Clayman, and A. K. El-Naggar, “Genetic alterations in the Ras/Raf/mitogen-activated protein kinase and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt signaling pathways in the follicular variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 116, no. 12, pp. 2974–2983, 2010.
- E. Grande-Pulido, B. Castelo, and P. J. Fonseca, “Efficacy and tolerability of sunitinib in patients with advanced thyroid cancer out of a trial: a Spanish multicenter cohort,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, supplement, abstract e16024, 2011.
- M. Cakir and A. B. Grossman, “Medullary thyroid cancer: molecular biology and novel molecular therapies,” Neuroendocrinology, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 323–348, 2009.
- F. Pacini, M. G. Castagna, C. Cipri, and M. Schlumberger, “Medullary thyroid carcinoma,” Clinical Oncology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 475–485, 2010.
- J. E. Phay and M. H. Shah, “Targeting RET receptor tyrosine kinase activation in cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 16, no. 24, pp. 5936–5941, 2010.
- F. Perri, G. D. Lorenzo, G. D. Scarpati, and C. Buonerba C, “Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: a comprehensive review of current and future therapeutic options,” World Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 150–157, 2011.
- G. Nagaiah, P. Fu, J. K. Wasman, et al., “CTRU Research Nurses. Phase II trial of sorafenib (bay 43-9006) in patients with advanced anaplastic carcinoma of the thyroid,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, supplement, abstract 6058, no. 15s, 2009.
- J. A. Sosa, R. Elisei, B. Jarzab, et al., “A randomized phase II/III trial of a tumor vascular disrupting agent fosbretabulin tromethamine (CA4P) with carboplatin (C) and paclitaxel (P) in anaplastic thyroid cancer (ATC): final survival analysis for the FACT trial,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, supplement, abstract 5502, 2011.