- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Transplantation
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 121523, 7 pages
Morbidity of 200 Consecutive Cases of Hand-Assisted Laparoscopic Living Donor Nephrectomies: A Single-Center Experience
1Transplantation Institute, Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, CA 92354, USA
2Department of Urology, Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, CA 92354, USA
Received 8 November 2011; Accepted 13 December 2011
Academic Editor: Yuri Genyk
Copyright © 2012 Pedro W. Baron et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. A. Axelrod, K. P. McCullough, E. D. Brewer, B. N. Becker, D. L. Segev, and P. S. Rao, “Kidney and pancreas transplantation in the United States, 1999–2008: the changing face of living donation,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 10, no. 4, part 2, pp. 987–1002, 2010.
- J. S. Najarian, B. M. Chavers, L. E. McHugh, and A. J. Matas, “20 years or more of follow-up of living kidney donors,” The Lancet, vol. 340, no. 8823, pp. 807–810, 1992.
- E. M. Johnson, M. J. Remucal, K. J. Gillingham, R. A. Dahms, J. S. Najarian, and A. J. Matas, “Complications and risks of living donor nephrectomy,” Transplantation, vol. 64, no. 8, pp. 1124–1128, 1997.
- L. E. Ratner, L. J. Ciseck, R. G. Moore, F. G. Cigarroa, H. S. Kaufman, and L. R. Kavoussi, “Laparoscopic live donor nephrectomy,” Transplantation, vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 1047–1049, 1995.
- J. S. Wolf Jr., M. B. Tchetgen, and R. M. Merion, “Hand-assisted laparoscopic live donor nephrectomy,” Urology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 885–887, 1998.
- L. E. Ratner, J. Hiller, M. Sroka et al., “Laparoscopic live donor nephrectomy removes disincentives to live donation,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 3402–3403, 1997.
- L. E. Ratner, R. A. Montgomery, and L. R. Kavoussi, “Laparoscopic live donor nephrectomy: the four year Johns Hopkins University experience,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 2090–2093, 1999.
- K. T. Perry, S. J. Freedland, J. C. Hu et al., “Quality of life, pain and return to normal activities following laparoscopic donor nephrectomy versus open mini-incision donor nephrectomy,” Journal of Urology, vol. 169, no. 6, pp. 2018–2021, 2003.
- P. C. Kuo and L. B. Johnson, “Laparoscopic donor nephrectomy increases the supply of living donor kidneys: a center-specific microeconomic analysis,” Transplantation, vol. 69, no. 10, pp. 2211–2213, 2000.
- J. S. Wolf Jr., R. M. Merion, A. B. Leichtman et al., “Randomized controlled trial of hand-assisted laparoscopic versus open surgical, live donor nephrectomy,” Transplantation, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 284–290, 2001.
- J. R. Leventhal, B. Kocak, P. R. O. Salvalaggio et al., “Laparoscopic donor nephrectomy 1997 to 2003: lessons learned with 500 cases at a single institution,” Surgery, vol. 136, no. 4, pp. 881–890, 2004.
- H. K. Mohamed, A. Lin, S. J. Savage, P. R. Rajagopalan, P. K. Baliga, and K. D. Chavin, “Parenchymal transection of the kidney inflicted by endocatch bag entrapment during a laparoscopic donor nephrectomy,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 232–235, 2006.
- J. Aerts, A. Matas, D. Sutherland, and R. Kandaswamy, “Chylous ascites requiring surgical intervention after donor nephrectomy: case series and single center experience,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 124–128, 2010.
- A. J. Matas, S. T. Bartlett, A. B. Leichtman, and F. L. Delmonico, “Morbidity and mortality after living kidney donation, 1999–2001: survey of United States transplant centers,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 830–834, 2003.
- A. Breda, J. Veale, J. Liao, and P. G. Schulam, “Complications of laparoscopic living donor nephrectomy and their management: the UCLA experience,” Urology, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 49–52, 2007.
- L. M. Su, L. E. Ratner, R. A. Montgomery et al., “Laparoscopic live donor nephrectomy: trends in donor and recipient morbidity following 381 consecutive cases,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 240, no. 2, pp. 358–363, 2004.
- P. W. Baron, D. D. Baldwin, H. R. Hadley, O. N. Ojogho, H. C. Ruckle, and W. Concepcion, “Hand-assisted laparoscopic donor nephrectomy is safe and results in increased kidney donation,” American Surgeon, vol. 70, no. 10, pp. 901–905, 2004.
- B. Kocak, A. J. Koffron, T. B. Baker et al., “Proposed classification of complications after live donor nephrectomy,” Urology, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 927–931, 2006.
- A. L. Friedman, T. G. Peters, K. W. Jones, L. E. Boulware, and L. E. Ratner, “Fatal and nonfatal hemorrhagic complications of living kidney donation,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 243, no. 1, pp. 126–130, 2006.
- S. Patel, J. Cassuto, M. Orloff et al., “Minimizing morbidity of organ donation: analysis of factors for perioperative complications after living-donor nephrectomy in the United States,” Transplantation, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 561–565, 2008.
- M. L. Melcher, J. T. Carter, A. Posselt et al., “More than 500 consecutive laparoscopic donor nephrectomies without conversion or repeated surgery,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 140, no. 9, pp. 835–840, 2005.
- T. G. Nanidis, D. Antcliffe, C. Kokkinos et al., “Laparoscopic versus open live donor nephrectomy in renal transplantation: a meta-analysis,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 247, no. 1, pp. 58–70, 2008.
- G. Mjøen, O. Øyen, H. Holdaas, K. Midtvedt, and P. D. Line, “Morbidity and mortality in 1022 consecutive living donor nephrectomies: benefits of a living donor registry,” Transplantation, vol. 88, no. 11, pp. 1273–1279, 2009.
- L. B. Schlunt, J. D. Harper, D. R. Broome et al., “Multidetector computerized tomography angiography to predict lumbar venous anatomy before donor nephrectomy,” Journal of Urology, vol. 176, no. 6, pp. 2576–2581, 2006.
- J. R. Leventhal, R. K. Deeik, R. J. Joehl et al., “Laparoscopic live donor nephrectomy—is it safe? Analysis of 80 consecutive cases and comparison with open nephrectomy,” Transplantation, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 602–606, 2000.
- C. Kokkinos, T. Nanidis, D. Antcliffe, A. W. Darzi, P. Tekkis, and V. Papalois, “Comparison of laparoscopic versus hand-assisted live donor nephrectomy,” Transplantation, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 41–47, 2007.
- E. Velidedeoglu, N. Williams, K. L. Brayman et al., “Comparison of open, laparoscopic, and hand-assisted approaches to live-donor nephrectomy,” Transplantation, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 169–172, 2002.
- H. K. Oh, A. Hawasli, and G. Cousins, “Management of renal allografts with multiple renal arteries resulting from laparoscopic living donor nephrectomy,” Clinical Transplantation, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 353–357, 2003.
- J. L. Flowers, S. Jacobs, E. Cho et al., “Comparison of open and laparoscopic live donor nephrectomy,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 226, no. 4, pp. 483–490, 1997.
- P. C. Kou, S. T. Bartlett, E. J. Schweitzer, L. B. Johnson, J. W. Lim, and D. C. Dafoe, “A technique for management of multiple renal arteries after laparoscopic donor nephrectomy,” Transplantation, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 779–780, 1997.