- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Transplantation
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 450471, 6 pages
Evaluation of the Medically Complex Living Kidney Donor
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Istanbul School of Medicine, 34390 Istanbul, Turkey
Received 6 November 2011; Accepted 6 March 2012
Academic Editor: Waldo Concepcion
Copyright © 2012 Yasar Caliskan and Alaattin Yildiz. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. Cecka, “The UNOS scientific renal transplant registry,” in Clinical Transplants, J. M. Cecka and P. I. Terasaki, Eds., UCLA Immunogenetics Center, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, 2002.
- S. Hou, D. Mital, J. Orlowski et al., “Expanding the kidney donor pool: ethical and medical considerations,” Kidney International, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 1820–1836, 2000.
- M. D. Ellison, M. A. McBride, S. E. Taranto, F. L. Delmonico, and H. M. Kauffman, “Living kidney donors in need of kidney transplants: a report from the organ procurement and transplantation network,” Transplantation, vol. 74, no. 9, pp. 1349–1351, 2002.
- C. L. Davis, “Evaluation of the living kidney donor: current perspectives,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 508–530, 2004.
- F. K. Port, D. M. Dykstra, R. M. Merion, and R. A. Wolfe, “Trends and results for organ donation and transplantation in the United States, 2004,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 843–849, 2005.
- F. L. Delmonico, E. Sheehy, W. H. Marks, P. Baliga, J. J. McGowan, and J. C. Magee, “Organ donation and utilization in the United States, 2004,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 862–873, 2005.
- F. Delmonico, “Council of the transplantation society. A report of the Amsterdam forum on the care of the live kidney donor: data and medical guidelines,” Transplantation, vol. 79, supplement 6, pp. S53–S66, 2005.
- G. Gopalakrishnan and S. P. Gourabathini, “Marginal kidney donor,” Indian Journal of Urology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 286–293, 2007.
- P. P. Reese, A. L. Caplan, A. S. Kesselheim, and R. D. Bloom, “Creating a medical, ethical, and legal framework for complex living kidney donors,” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 1148–1153, 2006.
- The Ethics Committee of the Transplantation Society, “The consensus statement of the Amsterdam forum on the care of the live kidney donor,” Transplantation, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 491–492, 2004.
- D. A. Mandelbrot, M. Pavlakis, G. M. Danovitch et al., “The medical evaluation of living kidney donors: a survey of US transplant centers,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 7, no. 10, pp. 2333–2343, 2007.
- A. Kumar, B. S. Verma, A. Srivastava, M. Bhandari, A. Gupta, and R. K. Sharma, “Long-term followup of elderly donors in a live related renal transplant program,” Journal of Urology, vol. 163, no. 6, pp. 1654–1658, 2000.
- L. S. De La Vega, A. Torres, H. E. Bohorquez et al., “Patient and graft outcomes from older living kidney donors are similar to those from younger donors despite lower GFR,” Kidney International, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 1654–1661, 2004.
- H. Toma, K. Tanabe, T. Tokumoto, T. Shimizu, and H. Shimmura, “Time-dependent risk factors influencing the long-term outcome in living renal allografts: donor age is a crucial risk factor for long-term graft survival more than 5 years after transplantation,” Transplantation, vol. 72, no. 5, pp. 940–947, 2001.
- S. Prommool, G. S. Jhangri, S. M. Cockfield, and P. F. Halloran, “Time dependency of factors affecting renal allograft survival,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 565–573, 2000.
- A. J. Matas, W. D. Payne, D. E. R. Sutherland et al., “2,500 Living donor kidney transplants: a single-center experience,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 234, no. 2, pp. 149–164, 2001.
- S. R. Kerr, K. J. Gillingham, E. M. Johnson, and A. J. Matas, “Living donors >55 years: to use or not to use?” Transplantation, vol. 67, no. 7, pp. 999–1004, 1999.
- G. M. Chertow, C. Y. Hsu, and K. L. Johansen, “The enlarging body of evidence: obesity and chronic kidney disease,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1501–1502, 2006.
- J. K. Heimbach, S. J. Taler, M. Prieto et al., “Obesity in living kidney donors: clinical characteristics and outcomes in the era of laparoscopic donor nephrectomy,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 1057–1064, 2005.
- M. Praga, E. Hernandez, J. C. Herrero et al., “Influence of obesity on the appearance of proteinuria and renal insufficiency after unilateral nephrectomy,” Kidney International, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 2111–2118, 2000.
- K. Suzuki, K. Honda, K. Tanabe, H. Toma, H. Nihei, and Y. Yamaguchi, “Incidence of latent mesangial IgA deposition in renal allograft donors in Japan,” Kidney International, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 2286–2294, 2003.
- A. V. Chobanian, G. L. Bakris, H. R. Black, et al., “National heart, lung, and blood institute joint national committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure; national high blood pressure education program coordinating committee. The seventh report of the joint national committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure: the JNC7 report,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 289, no. 19, pp. 2560–2572, 2003.
- M. W. Steffes, D. M. Brown, and S. M. Mauer, “Diabetic glomerulopathy following unilateral nephrectomy in the rat,” Diabetes, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 1978.
- S. P. Silveiro, L. A. Da Costa, M. O. Beck, and J. L. Gross, “Urinary albumin excretion rate and glomerular filtration rate in single- kidney type 2 diabetic patients,” Diabetes Care, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1521–1524, 1998.
- E. R. Seaquist, F. C. Goetz, S. Rich, and J. Barbosa, “Familial clustering of diabetic kidney disease. Evidence for genetic susceptibility to diabetic nephropathy,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 320, no. 18, pp. 1161–1165, 1989.
- D. Simmons and M. Searle, “Personal paper: risk of diabetic nephropathy in potential living related kidney donors,” British Medical Journal, vol. 316, no. 7134, pp. 846–848, 1998.
- R. P. S. Bhadauria, R. Ahlawat, R. V. Kumar, E. S. Srinadh, G. K. Banerjee, and M. Bhandari, “Donor-gifted allograft lithiasis: extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy with over table module using the lithostar plus,” Urologia Internationalis, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 51–55, 1995.
- H. F. Lu, B. Shekarriz, and M. L. Stoller, “Donor-gifted allograft urolithiasis: early percutaneous management,” Urology, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 25–27, 2002.
- E. Worcester, J. H. Parks, M. A. Josephson, R. A. Thisted, and F. L. Coe, “Causes and consequences of kidney loss in patients with nephrolithiasis,” Kidney International, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 2204–2213, 2003.
- I. K. Kim, J. C. Tan, J. Lapasia, A. Elihu, S. Busque, and M. L. Melcher, “Incidental kidney stones: a single center experience with kidney donor selection,” Clinical Transplantation. In press.
- G. Morris-Stiff, A. Steel, P. Savage et al., “Transmission of donor melanoma to multiple organ transplant recipients,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 444–446, 2004.
- I. Penn, “Transmission of cancer from organ donors,” Annals of Transplantation, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 7–12, 1997.
- H. M. Kauffman, M. A. McBride, and F. L. Delmonico, “First report of the united network for organ sharing transplant tumor registry: donors with a history of cancer,” Transplantation, vol. 70, no. 12, pp. 1747–1751, 2000.
- J. F. Buell, “Use of donors with central nervous system malignancies: proceed with caution ,” Transplantation, vol. 77, no. 12, pp. 1906–1907, 2004.
- J. M. Morales, J. M. Campistol, and B. Dominguez-Gil, “Hepatitis C virus infection and kidney transplantation,” Seminars in Nephrology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 365–374, 2002.
- S. N. Natov and B. J. G. Pereira, “Transmission of viral hepatitis by kidney transplantation: donor evaluation and transplant policies (Part 1: Hepatitis B virus),” Transplant Infectious Disease, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 117–123, 2002.
- A. Yildiz, M. Ş. Sever, A. Türkmen et al., “Tuberculosis after renal transplantation: experience of one Turkish centre,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 1872–1875, 1998.
- M. A. Gomha, M. El-Kenawy, and M. Hesham, “Live-donor kidney transplantation: a source for tuberculosis transmission?” African Journal of Urology, vol. 4, p. 62, 1998.
- Anonymous, “Ethical issues. UK guidelines for living donor kidney donation,” BTS, 1000, 9–14.