- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Transplantation
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 614781, 6 pages
Pretransplant Fasting Glucose Predicts New-Onset Diabetes after Liver Transplantation
1Division of Hepatology, Mayo Clinic Arizona, 5777 E. Mayo Boulevard, Phoenix, AZ 85054, USA
2Division of Transplant Surgery, Mayo Clinic Arizona, Phoenix, AZ 85054, USA
3Division of Nephrology, Mayo Clinic Arizona, Phoenix, AZ 85054, USA
Received 16 August 2011; Revised 5 October 2011; Accepted 17 October 2011
Academic Editor: P. Burra
Copyright © 2012 Elizabeth J. Carey et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. M. McGuire, P. Rosenthal, C. C. Brown et al., “Long-term management of the liver transplant patient: recommendations for the primary care doctor: special feature,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 1988–2003, 2009.
- P. Marchetti, “New-onset diabetes after liver transplantation: from pathogenesis to management,” Liver Transplantation, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 612–620, 2005.
- S. Baid, A. B. Cosimi, M. L. Farrell et al., “Posttransplant diabetes mellitus in liver transplant recipients: risk factors, temporal, relationship with hepatitis C virus allograft hepatitis, and impact on mortality,” Transplantation, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 1066–1072, 2001.
- M. Navasa, J. Bustamante, C. Marroni et al., “Diabetes mellitus after liver transplantation: prevalence and predictive factors,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 64–71, 1996.
- P. R. John and P. J. Thuluvath, “Outcome of patients with new-onset diabetes mellitus after liver transplantation compared with those without diabetes mellitus,” Liver Transplantation, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 708–713, 2002.
- J. I. Moon, R. Barbeito, R. N. Faradji, J. J. Gaynor, and A. G. Tzakis, “Negative impact of new-onset diabetes mellitus on patient and graft survival after liver transplantation: long-term follow up,” Transplantation, vol. 82, no. 12, pp. 1625–1628, 2006.
- W. Xu, Q. Ling, Z. L. He, F. Gao, and S. S. Zheng, “Post-transplant diabetes mellitus in liver transplantation: hangzhou experience,” Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Diseases International, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 465–470, 2008.
- American Diabetes Association, “Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, supplement 1, pp. S62–S69, 2010.
- G. A. Nichols, T. A. Hillier, and J. B. Brown, “Normal fasting plasma glucose and risk of type 2 diabetes diagnosis,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 121, no. 6, pp. 519–524, 2008.
- H. A. Chakkera, Y. Devarapalli, and E. J. Weil, “Predictive risk of pre-transplant fasting glucose on the development of new onset diabetes after kidney transplantation,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 10, supplement 4, p. 243, 2010.
- P. T. T. Pham, P. C. T. Pham, G. S. Lipshutz, and A. H. Wilkinson, “New onset diabetes mellitus after solid organ transplantation,” Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 873–890, 2007.
- S. A. Harrison, “Correlation between insulin resistance and hepatitis C viral load,” Hepatology, vol. 43, no. 5, p. 1168, 2006.
- R. Simó, A. Lecube, J. Genescà, J. I. Esteban, and C. Hernández, “Sustained virological response correlates with reduction in the incidence of glucose abnormalities in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infection,” Diabetes Care, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 2462–2466, 2006.
- H. T. Kuo, M. S. Sampaio, X. Ye, P. Reddy, P. Martin, and S. Bunnapradist, “Risk factors for new-onset diabetes mellitus in adult liver transplant recipients, an analysis of the organ procurement and transplant network/united network for organ sharing database,” Transplantation, vol. 89, no. 9, pp. 1134–1140, 2010.
- A. Picardi, D. D'Avola, U. V. Gentilucci et al., “Diabetes in chronic liver disease: from old concepts to new evidence,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 274–283, 2006.
- P. J. Thuluvath, M. K. Guidinger, J. J. Fung, L. B. Johnson, S. C. Rayhill, and S. J. Pelletier, “Liver transplantation in the United States, 1999–2008: special feature,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 1003–1019, 2010.
- I. Shai, R. Jiang, J. E. Manson et al., “Ethnicity, obesity, and risk of type 2 diabetes in women: a 20-year follow-up study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 1585–1590, 2006.
- S. Saab, A. Shpaner, Y. Zhao et al., “Prevalence and risk factors for diabetes mellitus in moderate term survivors of liver transplantation,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 1890–1895, 2006.
- L. Oufroukhi, N. Kamar, F. Muscari et al., “Predictive factors for posttransplant diabetes mellitus within one-year of liver transplantation,” Transplantation, vol. 85, no. 10, pp. 1436–1442, 2008.
- O. Heisel, R. Heisel, R. Balshaw, and P. Keown, “New onset diabetes mellitus in patients receiving calcineurin inhibitors: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 583–595, 2004.