- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Transplantation
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 870659, 6 pages
Socioeconomic Factors Affect Disparities in Access to Liver Transplant for Hepatocellular Cancer
1Transplant Center, The Queen's Medical Center, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
2Cancer Center, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
3School of Nursing and Dental Hygiene, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Received 4 September 2012; Revised 21 October 2012; Accepted 22 October 2012
Academic Editor: Paul C. Kuo
Copyright © 2012 Linda L. Wong et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- SEER Cancer Statistics Review 1975–2004, “US National Institute of Health,” 2012, http://www.SEER.cancer.gov.
- R. Siegel, D. Naishadham, and A. Jemal, “Cancer statistics 2012,” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 62, pp. 10–31, 2012.
- V. Mazzaferro, E. Regalia, R. Doci et al., “Liver transplantation for the treatment of small hepatocellular carcinomas in patients with cirrhosis,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 334, no. 11, pp. 693–699, 1996.
- J. Bruix and M. Sherman, “Management of hepatocellular carcinoma: an update,” Hepatology, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 1020–1022, 2011.
- S. F. Altekruse, K. A. McGlynn, L. A. Dickie, and D. E. Kleiner, “Hepatocellular carcinoma confirmation, treatment and survival in surveillance, epidemiology and end results registries 1992–2008,” Hepatology, vol. 55, pp. 476–482, 2012.
- A. K. Mathur, D. E. Schaubel, Q. Gong, M. K. Guidinger, and R. M. Merion, “Sex-based disparities in liver transplant rates in the United States,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 1435–1443, 2011.
- A. S. Robbins, D. D. Cox, L. B. Johnson, and E. M. Ward, “Persistent disparities in liver transplantation for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma in the United States, 1998 through 2007,” Cancer, vol. 117, pp. 4531–4539, 2011.
- Z. Kadry, W. E. Schaefer, T. Uemura, A. R. Shah, I. Schreibman, and T. R. Rile, “Impact of geographic disparity on liver allocation for hepatocellular cancer in the United States,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 56, pp. 618–625, 2012.
- J. C. Yu, A. I. Neugut, S. Wang et al., “Racial and insurance disparities in the receipt of transplant among patients with hepatocellular carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 116, no. 7, pp. 1801–1809, 2010.
- A. Artinyan, B. Mailey, N. Sanchez-Luege et al., “Race, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status influence the survival of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma in the United States,” Cancer, vol. 116, no. 5, pp. 1367–1377, 2010.
- United Network for Organ Sharing , Policy 3.6: Organ Distrubution: Allocation of Livers, 2012, http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/policiesAndBylaws/.
- US census data 2011, State of Hawaii, 2012, http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/index.html.
- ZipWho for Median household income, 2012, http://zipwho.com/.
- S. Baum, J. Ma, and K. Payza, “Education Pays 2010,” Trends in Higher Education series, College Board Advocacy and Policy Center, 2010, http://trends.collegeboard.org/sites/default/files/education-pays-2010-full-report.PDF.
- A. K. Mathur, D. E. Schaubel, Q. Gong, M. K. Guidinger, and R. M. Merion, “Racial and ethnic disparities in access to liver transplantation,” Liver Transplantation, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1033–1040, 2010.
- A. K. Mathur, C. J. Sonnenday, and R. M. Merion, “Race and ethnicity in access to and outcomes of liver transplantation: a critical literature review,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 2662–2668, 2009.
- H. L. Tae, N. Shah, R. A. Pedersen et al., “Survival after liver transplantation: is racial disparity inevitable?” Hepatology, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 1491–1497, 2007.
- D. E. Eckhoff, B. M. McGuire, C. J. Young et al., “Race: a critical factor in organ donation, patient referral and selection, and orthotopic liver transplantation?” Liver Transplantation and Surgery, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 499–505, 1998.
- V. R. Julapalli, J. R. Kramer, and H. B. El-Serag, “Evaluation for liver transplantation: adherence to AASLD referral guidelines in a large Veterans Affairs center,” Liver Transplantation, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 1370–1378, 2005.
- G. C. Nguyen, D. L. Segev, and P. J. Thuluvath, “Racial disparities in the management of hospitalized patients with cirrhosis and complications of portal hypertension: a national study,” Hepatology, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 1282–1289, 2007.
- P. A. McCormick, M. O'Rourke, D. Carey, and M. Laffoy, “Ability to pay and geographical proximity influence access to liver transplantation even in a system with universal access,” Liver Transplantation, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 1422–1427, 2004.
- J. E. Tuttle-Newhall, R. Rutledge, M. Johnson, and J. Fair, “A statewide, population-based, time series analysis of access to liver transplantation,” Transplantation, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 255–262, 1997.
- Y. Zak, K. F. Rhoads, and B. C. Visser, “Predictors of surgical intervention for hepatocellular carcinoma: race, socioeconomic status, and hospital type,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 146, no. 7, pp. 778–784, 2011.
- A. K. Mathur, N. H. Osborne, R. J. Lynch, A. A. Ghaferi, J. B. Dimick, and C. J. Sonnenday, “Racial/ethnic disparities in access to care and survival for patients with early-stage hepatocellular carcinoma,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 145, no. 12, pp. 1158–1163, 2010.