- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Leukemia Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 250432, 4 pages
Factor V Leiden and Prothrombin 20210A Mutations among Turkish Pediatric Leukemia Patients
1LOSEV the Foundation for Children with Leukemia, Ankara, Turkey
2Department of Pediatric Genetics, Ankara University, Ankara, Turkey
3Department of Pediatric Haematology, Gülhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey
4TOBB-ETU Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Received 6 September 2011; Accepted 5 December 2011
Academic Editor: Helena Kempski
Copyright © 2012 Dilara Fatma Akın et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Akar, “Factor V Leiden and Natural Selection,” Clinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis. In press.
- U. H. Athale and A. K. C. Chan, “Thrombosis in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: Part I. Epidemiology of thrombosis in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 125–131, 2003.
- V. Caruso, L. Iacoviello, A. Di Castelnuovo et al., “Thrombotic complications in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a meta-analysis of 17 prospective studies comprising 1752 pediatric patients,” Blood, vol. 108, no. 7, pp. 2216–2222, 2006.
- N. Santoro, P. Giordano, G. C. Del Vecchio et al., “Ischemic stroke in children treated for acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a retrospective study,” Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 153–157, 2005.
- F. R. Rickles and A. Falanga, “Molecular basis for the relationship between thrombosis and cancer,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 102, no. 6, pp. V215–V224, 2001.
- D. E. Sutherland, I. C. Weitz, and H. A. Liebman, “Thromboembolic complications of cancer: epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment,” American Journal of Hematology, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 43–52, 2003.
- P. Giordano, G. C. Del Vecchio, P. Saracco et al., “A practical approach to diagnosis and treatment of symptomatic thromboembolic events in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: recommendations of the "coagulation defects" AIEOP Working Group,” Recent Patents on Cardiovascular Drug Discovery, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 53–62, 2007.
- T. Celkan, H. Apak, A. Ozkan et al., “The etiology of thromboembolism in hospitalized children,” Turkish Pediatric Archive, vol. 39, pp. 65–70, 2004.
- U. Nowak-Göttl, R. Junker, W. Kreuz et al., “Risk of recurrent venous thrombosis in children with combined prothrombotic risk factors,” Blood, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 858–862, 2001.
- N. Akar, “Factor V 1691 G-A mutation distribution in a healthy Turkish population,” Turkish Journal of Hematology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 9–11, 2009.
- E. M. Bladbjerg, K. Andersen-Ranberg, M. P.M. De Maat et al., “Longevity is independent of common variations in genes associated with cardiovascular risk,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 1100–1105, 1999.
- C. J. M. Doggen, V. M. Cats, R. M. Bertina, and F. R. Rosendaal, “Interaction of coagulation defects and cardiovascular risk factors: increased risk of myocardial infarction associated with factor V Leiden or prothrombin 20210A,” Circulation, vol. 97, no. 11, pp. 1037–1041, 1998.
- N. Akar and M. Misirlioglu, “Prothrombin gene 20210 G-A mutation in the turkish population,” American Journal of Hematology, vol. 58, no. 3, p. 249, 1998.
- H. M. M. B. Otten, J. Mathijssen, H. Ten Cate et al., “Symptomatic venous thromboembolism in cancer patients treated with chemotherapy: an underestimated phenomenon,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 164, no. 2, pp. 190–194, 2004.
- M. T. Sifontes, R. Nuss, S. P. Hunger, J. Wilimas, L. J. Jacobson, and M. J. Manco-Johnson, “The factor V Leiden mutation in children with cancer and thrombosis,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 484–489, 1997.
- N. Haim, N. Lanir, R. Hoffman, A. Haim, M. Tsalik, and B. Brenner, “Acquired activated protein C resistance is common in cancer patients and is associated with venous thromboembolism,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 91–96, 2001.
- R. Pihusch, G. Danzl, M. Scholz et al., “Impact of thrombophilic gene mutations on thrombosis risk in patients with gastrointestinal carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 94, no. 12, pp. 3120–3126, 2002.
- E. Ramacciotti, N. Wolosker, P. Puech-Leao et al., “Prevalence of factor V Leiden, FII G20210A, FXIII Val34Leu and MTHFR C677T polymorphisms in cancer patients with and without venous thrombosis,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 171–174, 2003.
- L. G. Mitchell, M. Andrew, T. Abshire et al., “A prospective cohort study determining the prevalence of thrombotic events in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia and a central venous line who are treated with L-asparaginase: results of the Prophylactic Antithrombin Replacement in Kids with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Treated with Asparaginase (PARKAA) Study,” Cancer, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 508–516, 2003.
- U. Nowak-Göttl, G. Kenet, and L. G. Mitchell, “Thrombosis in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia: epidemiology, aetiology, diagnosis, prevention and treatment,” Best Practice and Research: Clinical Haematology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 103–114, 2009.
- B. Dahlback, M. Carlsson, and P. J. Svensson, “Familial thrombophilia due to a previously unrecognized mechanism characterized by poor anticoagulant response to activated protein C: prediction of a cofactor to activated protein C,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 1004–1008, 1993.
- T. Koster, F. R. Rosendaal, H. De Ronde, E. Briet, J. P. Vandenbroucke, and R. M. Bertina, “Venous thrombosis due to poor anticoagulant response to activated protein C: Leiden Thrombophilia Study,” Lancet, vol. 342, no. 8886-8887, pp. 1503–1506, 1993.
- J. S. Greengard, S. Eichinger, J. H. Griffin, and K. A. Bauer, “Brief report: variability of thrombosis among homozygous siblings with resistance to activated protein C due to an Arg→Gln mutation in the gene for factor V,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 331, no. 23, pp. 1559–1562, 1994.
- A. Eroglu, D. Sertkaya, and N. Akar, “The fole of factor V Leiden in adult patients with venous thromboembolism: a meta-analysis of published studies from Turkey,” Clinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis. In press.
- M. Calık, I. E. Piskin, G. Utsuda, and H. Kardes, “A case of acute myeloid leukemia presenting with deep venous thrombosis,” Journal of Clinical and Experimental Investigations, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 114–117, 2011.
- S. Akarsu, E. Yılmaz, D. E. Aygün, and A. Gozdasoglu, “L-asparaginase therapy and complications in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia,” Turkish Pediatric Archive, vol. 39, pp. 162–170, 2004.