- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Leukemia Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 932175, 8 pages
Clinical Trials of Adult T-Cell Leukaemia/Lymphoma Treatment
1Department of Hematology, Necker Hospital, 75473 Paris Cedex 15, France
2Department of Internal Medicine, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
Received 5 October 2011; Accepted 11 November 2011
Academic Editor: Kunihiro Tsukasaki
Copyright © 2012 Ambroise Marçais et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Shimoyama, “Diagnostic criteria and classification of clinical subtypes of adult T-cell leukaemia-lymphoma. A report from the lymphoma study group (1984–87),” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 428–437, 1991.
- K. Tsukasaki, O. Hermine, A. Bazarbachi et al., “Definition, prognostic factors, treatment, and response criteria of adult T-cell leukemia-lymphoma: a proposal from an international consensus meeting,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 453–459, 2009.
- Y. Takasaki, M. Iwanaga, Y. Imaizumi et al., “Long-term study of indolent adult T-cell leukemia-lymphoma,” Blood, vol. 115, no. 22, pp. 4337–4343, 2010.
- M. Shimoyama, K. Ota, M. Kikuchi et al., “Major prognostic factors of adult patients with advanced T-cell lymphoma/leukemia,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 1088–1097, 1988.
- K. Tsukasaki, K. Tobinai, M. Shimoyama et al., “Deoxycoformycin-containing combination chemotherapy for adult T-cell leukemia-lymphoma: Japan clinical oncology group study (JCOG9109),” International Journal of Hematology, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 164–170, 2003.
- Y. Yamada, M. Tomonaga, H. Fukuda et al., “A new G-CSF-supported combination chemotherapy, LSG15, for adult T-cell leukaemia-lymphoma: Japan clinical oncology group study 9303,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 375–382, 2001.
- K. Tsukasaki, A. Utsunomiya, H. Fukuda et al., “VCAP-AMP-VECP compared with biweekly CHOP for adult T-cell leukemia-lymphoma: Japan clinical oncology group study JCOG9801,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 34, pp. 5458–5464, 2007.
- M. Hishizawa, J. Kanda, A. Utsunomiya et al., “Transplantation of allogeneic hematopoietic stem cells for adult T-cell leukemia: a nationwide retrospective study,” Blood, vol. 116, no. 8, pp. 1369–1376, 2010.
- N. Uike, R. Tanosaki, A. Utsunomiya, I. Choi, and J. Okamura, “Can allo-SCT with RIC cure ATLL? long-term survivors with excellent PS and with heterogenous HTLV-1 proviral load level,” Retrovirology, vol. 8, supplement 1, pp. A33–A33, 2011.
- P. S. Gill, W. Harrington, M. H. Kaplan et al., “Treatment of adult T-cell leukemia-lymphoma with a combination of interferon alfa and zidovudine,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 332, no. 26, pp. 1744–1748, 1995.
- O. Hermine, D. Bouscary, A. Gessain et al., “Brief report: treatment of adult T-cell leukemia-lymphoma with zidovudine and interferon alfa,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 332, no. 26, pp. 1749–1751, 1995.
- A. Bazarbachi and O. Hermine, “Treatment with a combination of zidovudine and α-interferon in naive and pretreated adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma patients,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes and Human Retrovirology, vol. 13, supplement 1, pp. S186–S190, 1996.
- O. Hermine, I. Allard, V. Lévy, B. Arnulf, A. Gessain, and A. Bazarbachi, “A prospective phase II clinical trial with the use of zidovudine and interferon-α in the acute and lymphoma forms of adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma,” Hematology Journal, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 276–282, 2002.
- J. D. White, G. Wharfe, D. M. Stewart et al., “The combination of zidovudine and interferon α-2B in the treatment of adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma,” Leukemia and Lymphoma, vol. 40, no. 3-4, pp. 287–294, 2001.
- E. Matutes, G. P. Taylor, J. Cavenagh et al., “Interferon α and zidovudine therapy in adult T-cell leukaemia lymphoma: Response and outcome in 15 patients,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 779–784, 2001.
- A. Bazarbachi, Y. Plumelle, J. Carlos Ramos et al., “Meta-analysis on the use of zidovudine and interferon-α in adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma showing improved survival in the leukemic subtypes,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 27, pp. 4177–4183, 2010.
- A. Bazarbachi, M. E. El-Sabban, R. Nasr et al., “Arsenic trioxide and interferon-α synergize to induce cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human T-cell lymphotropic virus type I-transformed cells,” Blood, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 278–283, 1999.
- M. E. El-Sabban, R. Nasr, G. Dbaibo et al., “Arsenic-interferon-α-triggered apoptosis in HTLV-I transformed cells is associated with Tax down-regulation and reversal of NF-κ B activation,” Blood, vol. 96, no. 8, pp. 2849–2855, 2000.
- R. Nasr, A. Rosenwald, M. E. El-Sabban et al., “Arsenic/interferon specifically reverses 2 distinct gene networks critical for the survival of HTLV-1-infected leukemic cells,” Blood, vol. 101, no. 11, pp. 4576–4582, 2003.
- H. El Hajj, M. El-Sabban, H. Hasegawa et al., “Therapy-induced selective loss of leukemia-initiating activity in murine adult T cell leukemia,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 207, no. 13, pp. 2785–2792, 2010.
- G. Kchour, M. Tarhini, M. M. Kooshyar et al., “Phase 2 study of the efficacy and safety of the combination of arsenic trioxide, interferon α, and zidovudine in newly diagnosed chronic adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma (ATL),” Blood, vol. 113, no. 26, pp. 6528–6532, 2009.
- F. Suarez, A. Marcais, D. Ghez, et al., “Arsenic trioxyde in the treatment of HTLV1 associated ATLL,” Retrovirology, vol. 8, supplement 1, p. A59, 2011.
- T. A. Waldmann, J. D. White, C. K. Goldman et al., “The interleukin-2 receptor: a target for monoclonal antibody treatment of human T-cell lymphotrophic virus I-induced adult T-cell leukemia,” Blood, vol. 82, no. 6, pp. 1701–1712, 1993.
- T. A. Waldmann, J. D. White, J. A. Carrasquillo et al., “Radioimmunotherapy of interleukin-2R α-expressing adult T-cell leukemia with Yttrium-90-labeled anti-Tac,” Blood, vol. 86, no. 11, pp. 4063–4075, 1995.
- I. C. Moura, Y. Lepelletier, B. Arnulf et al., “A neutralizing monoclonal antibody (mAb A24) directed against the transferrin receptor induces apoptosis of tumor T lymphocytes from ATL patients,” Blood, vol. 103, no. 5, pp. 1838–1845, 2004.
- A. Utsunomiya, K. Tobinai, K. Yamamoto, et al., “Promising results of an anti-CCR4 antibody, KW-0761, for relapsed adult T-cell leukemia-lymphoma (ATL),” Retrovirology, vol. 8, supplement 1, p. A40, 2011.
- O. A. O'Connor, B. Pro, L. Pinter-Brown et al., “Pralatrexate in patients with relapsed or refractory peripheral T-cell lymphoma: results from the pivotal PROPEL study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1182–1189, 2011.
- E. A. Olsen, Y. H. Kim, T. M. Kuzel et al., “Phase IIB multicenter trial of vorinostat in patients with persistent, progressive, or treatment refractory cutaneous t-cell lymphoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 21, pp. 3109–3115, 2007.
- S. J. Whittaker, M. F. Demierre, E. J. Kim et al., “Final results from a multicenter, international, pivotal study of romidepsin in refractory cutaneous T-cell lymphoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 29, pp. 4485–4491, 2010.
- R. L. Piekarz, R. Frye, H. M. Prince et al., “Phase 2 trial of romidepsin in patients with peripheral T-cell lymphoma,” Blood, vol. 117, no. 22, pp. 5827–5834, 2011.
- J. Ramos, N. Toomey, L. Diaz, P. Ruiz, G. Barber, and W. Harrington, “Targeting HTLV-I latency in adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma,” Retrovirology, vol. 8, supplement 1, p. A48, 2011.
- C. E. Dearden, E. Matutes, B. Cazin et al., “High remission rate in T-cell prolymphocytic leukemia with CAMPATH-1H,” Blood, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 1721–1726, 2001.
- A. Mone, S. Puhalla, S. Whitman et al., “Durable hematologic complete response and suppression of HTLV-1 viral load following alemtuzumab in zidovudine/IFN-α-refractory adult T-cell leukemia,” Blood, vol. 106, no. 10, pp. 3380–3382, 2005.
- F. Ravandi, A. Aribi, S. O'Brien et al., “Phase II study of alemtuzumab in combination with pentostatin in patients with T-cell neoplasms,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 32, pp. 5425–5430, 2009.
- G. Dueck, N. Chua, A. Prasad et al., “Interim report of a phase 2 clinical trial of lenalidomide for T-cell non-hodgkin lymphoma,” Cancer, vol. 116, no. 19, pp. 4541–4548, 2010.
- A. Hodson, N. Mir, A. Pagliuca, et al., “Addition of anti-viral therapy to chemotherapy improves overall survival in acute and lymphomatous adult T-cell leukaemia/lymphoma (ATLL),” in Proceedings of the ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts, vol. 116, p. 3961, 2010.
- A. Datta, M. Bellon, U. Sinha-Datta et al., “Persistent inhibition of telomerase reprograms adult T-cell leukemia to p53-dependent senescence,” Blood, vol. 108, no. 3, pp. 1021–1029, 2006.
- J. M. Flaman, T. Frebourg, V. Moreau et al., “A simple p53 functional assay for screening cell lines, blood, and tumors,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 92, no. 9, pp. 3963–3967, 1995.