- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 123297, 5 pages
Is There Any Relationship between Human Herpesvirus-8 and Multiple Myeloma?
1Cancer Molecular Pathology Research Centre, Faculty of Medicine, Ghaem Medical Centre, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
2Faculty of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
3Cancer Molecular Pathology Research Centre, Faculty of Medicine, Imam Reza Medical Centre, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
4Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Received 21 November 2012; Revised 18 January 2013; Accepted 26 January 2013
Academic Editor: L. Arcaini
Copyright © 2013 Mohammad Hadi Sadeghian et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Ganem, “Kaposis sarcoma-associated herpes virus,” in Fields Virology, D. M. Knipe and P. M. Howley, Eds., vol. 3, pp. 2847–2888, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 5th edition, 2007.
- Y. Chang, E. Cesarman, M. S. Pessin et al., “Identification of herpesvirus-like DNA sequences in AIDS-associated Kaposi's sarcoma,” Science, vol. 266, no. 5192, pp. 1865–1869, 1994.
- T. Ikebe, Y. Amemiya, M. Saburi et al., “Rare primary effusion lymphoma associated with HHV-8 in Japan,” Internal Medicine, vol. 49, no. 13, pp. 1303–1306, 2010.
- J. Stebbing, C. Adams, A. Sanitt et al., “Plasma HHV8 DNA predicts relapse in individuals with HIV-associated multicentric Castleman disease,” Blood, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 271–275, 2011.
- K. N. Naresh, N. Francis, N. Sarwar, and M. Bower, “Expression of human herpesvirus 8 (HHV-8), latent nuclear antigen 1 (LANA1) in angiosarcoma in acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)—a report of two cases,” Histopathology, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 861–864, 2007.
- P. Bhattacharjee, P. Hui, and J. McNiff, “Human herpesvirus-8 is not associated with angiolymphoid hyperplasia with eosinophilia,” Journal of Cutaneous Pathology, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 612–615, 2004.
- L. Di Alberti, A. Piattelli, L. Artese et al., “Human herpesvirus 8 variants in sarcoid tissues,” The Lancet, vol. 350, no. 9092, pp. 1655–1661, 1997.
- H. Qavi and A. A. Al-Rajhi, “Acetylcholinesterase and HHV-8 in squamous cell carcinoma and retinoblastoma,” In Vivo, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 679–683, 2009.
- A. Prantsidis, D. Rigopoulos, G. Papatheodorou et al., “Detection of human herpesvirus 8 in the skin of patients with pityriasis rosea,” Acta Dermato-Venereologica, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 604–606, 2009.
- S. I. Ismail, I. S. Mahmoud, M. A. L. Salman, M. A. Sughayer, and A. M. Mahafzah, “Frequent detection of Human Herpes Virus-8 in bone marrow of Jordanian patients of multiple myeloma,” Cancer Epidemiology, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 471–474, 2011.
- K. Kaushansky, M. A. Lichtman, T. J. Kipps, U. Seligsohn, and P. T. Prchal, Williams Hematology, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 8th edition, 2010.
- M. S. Raab, K. Podar, I. Breitkreutz, P. G. Richardson, and K. C. Anderson, “Multiple myeloma,” The Lancet, vol. 374, no. 9686, pp. 324–339, 2009.
- S. H. Swerdlow, E. Campo, N. L. Harris, et al., Eds., WHO Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues, IARC, Lyon, France, 2008.
- N. Becker, “Epidemiology of multiple myeloma,” Recent Results in Cancer Research, vol. 183, pp. 25–35, 2011.
- B. J. Bain, D. M. Clark, and B. S. Wilkins, Bone Marrow Pathology, Wiley-Blackwell, 4th edition, 2010.
- Z. Mozaheb, A. Aledavood, and F. Farzad, “Distributions of major sub-types of lymphoid malignancies among adults in Mashhad, Iran,” Cancer Epidemiology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 26–29, 2011.
- T. T. Yee, K. Murphy, M. Johnson et al., “Multiple myeloma and human immunodeficiency virus-1 (HIV-1) infection,” American Journal of Hematology, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 123–125, 2001.
- A. E. Dokekias, M. Moutschen, M. F. Purhuence, F. Malanda, and A. Moyikoua, “Multiple's myeloma and HIV infection: report of 3 cases,” Revue Medicale de Liege, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 95–97, 2004.
- S. Franceschi, M. Lise, C. Trepo et al., “Infection with hepatitis B and C viruses and risk of lymphoid malignancies in the european prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition (EPIC),” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 208–214, 2011.
- M. B. Rettig, H. J. Ma, R. A. Vescio et al., “Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus infection of bone marrow dendritic cells from multiple myeloma patients,” Science, vol. 276, no. 5320, pp. 1851–1854, 1997.
- M. Beksac, M. Ma, C. Akyerli et al., “Frequent demonstration of human herpesvirus 8 (HHV-8) in bone marrow biopsy samples from Turkish patients with multiple myeloma (MM),” Leukemia, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 1268–1273, 2001.
- P. Barozzi, L. Potenza, G. Riva et al., “B cells and Herpesviruses: a model of lymphoproliferation,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 132–136, 2007.
- V. Kumar, A. K. Abbas, N. Fausto, and J. C. Aster, Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Diseaseed, Saunders Elsevier, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 8th edition, 2010.
- M. H. Sadeghian, M. Katebi, H. Ayatollahi, and M. R. Keramati, “Immunohistochemical study association between human herpesvirus 8 and multiple myeloma,” International Journal of Hematology, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 283–286, 2008.
- R. Duprez, V. Lacoste, S. Hermouet et al., “Plasma-cell leukemia and human herpesvirus 8 infection,” Leukemia, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 1903–1904, 2004.
- W. Chen, Q. Huang, C. W. Zuppan et al., “Complete absence of KSHV/HHV-8 in posttransplant lymphoproliferative disorders an immunohistochemical and molecular study of 52 cases,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 131, no. 5, pp. 632–639, 2009.
- S. R. Shi, R. J. Cote, L. Wu et al., “DNA extraction from archival formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue sections based on the antigen retrieval principle: heating under the influence of pH,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 1005–1011, 2002.
- C. Eaton, R. Dorer, and D. M. Aboulafia, “Human herpesvirus-8 infection associated with kaposi sarcoma, multicentric castleman's disease, and plasmablastic microlymphoma in a man with AIDS: a case report with review of pathophysiologic processes,” Pathology Research International, vol. 2011, Article ID 647518, 6 pages, 2011.
- A. Carbone, E. Cesarman, M. Spina, A. Gloghini, and T. F. Schulz, “HIV-associated lymphomas and gamma-herpesviruses,” Blood, vol. 113, no. 6, pp. 1213–1224, 2009.
- C. Y. Zhang, “The role of human herpesvirus-8 infection in the pathogenesis of multiple myeloma,” Zhongguo Shi Yan Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 81–84, 2002.
- H. Fukumoto, T. Kanno, H. Hasegawa, and H. Katano, “Pathology of Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus infection,” Frontiers in Microbiology, vol. 2, article 175, 2011.
- N. Raje, J. Gong, D. Chauhan et al., “Bone marrow and peripheral blood dendritic cells from patients with multiple myeloma are phenotypically and functionally normal despite the detection of Kaposi's sarcoma herpesvirus gene sequences,” Blood, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 1487–1495, 1999.
- D. Chauhan, A. Bharti, N. Raje et al., “Detection of Kaposi's sarcoma herpesvirus DNA sequences in multiple myeloma bone marrow stromal cells,” Blood, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 1482–1486, 1999.
- Y. Dong, P. Zhu, and M. Ma, “Quantitative analysis of human herpes virus type 8 and expression of its genes in patients with multiple myeloma,” Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi, vol. 81, no. 20, pp. 1230–1233, 2001.
- S. J. Olsen, K. Tarte, W. Sherman et al., “Evidence against KSHV infection in the pathogenesis of multiple myeloma,” Virus Research, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 197–202, 1998.
- M. S. Cho and S. N. Lee, “Questionable role of human herpesvirus-8 in the pathogenesis of multiple myeloma,” The Korean Journal of Pathology, vol. 39, pp. 164–167, 2005.
- R. Tedeschi, T. Luostarinen, P. De Paoli et al., “Joint Nordic prospective study on human herpesvirus 8 and multiple myeloma risk,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 93, no. 7, pp. 834–837, 2005.
- N. Regamey, V. Hess, J. Passweg et al., “Infection with human herpesvirus 8 and transplant-associated gammopathy,” Transplantation, vol. 77, no. 10, pp. 1551–1554, 2004.
- S. Hermouet, C. A. Sutton, T. M. Rose et al., “Qualitative and quantitative analysis of human herpesviruses in chronic and acute B cell lymphocytic leukemia and in multiple myeloma,” Leukemia, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 185–195, 2003.
- J. J. Drabick, B. J. Davis, J. H. Lichy, J. Flynn, and J. C. Byrd, “Human herpesvirus 8 genome is not found in whole bone marrow core biopsy specimens of patients with plasma cell dyscrasias,” Annals of Hematology, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 304–307, 2002.
- L. Pan, L. Milligan, J. Michaeli, E. Cesarman, and D. M. Knowles, “Polymerase chain reaction detection of kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus-optimized protocols and their applicationto myeloma,” Journal of Molecular Diagnostics, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 32–38, 2001.