About this Journal Submit a Manuscript Table of Contents
Mediators of Inflammation
Volume 2006 (2006), Article ID 34295, 5 pages
http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/MI/2006/34295
Research Communication

Serum Adipokine and Ghrelin Levels in Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis

1Department of Gastroenterology, School of Medicine, Firat University, Elazig 23200, Turkey
2Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Firat University, Elazig 23200, Turkey
3Department of Immunology, School of Medicine, Firat University, Elazig 23200, Turkey
4Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, Firat University, Elazig 23200, Turkey

Received 22 May 2006; Revised 23 August 2006; Accepted 23 August 2006

Copyright © 2006 Mehmet Yalniz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Abstract

Adipokines and ghrelin play role in insulin resistance, the key pathophysiological abnormality in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver diseases. In the present study, relationship between nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and serum adipokine and ghrelin levels was investigated. Thirty seven patients with biopsy-proven NASH and 25 age- and sex-matched controls were enrolled. Ten of NASH patients (27%) had diabetes mellitus (n=5) or impaired glucose tolerance (n=5). Body mass index (BMI) was less than 30 kg/m2 in 67.6% of patients, while in the remaining 32.4% it was more than 30 kg/m2. Serum adiponectin, leptin, TNF-α, and ghrelin were determined. Serum leptin (15.49±4.84 vs 10.31±2.53) and TNF-α (12.1±2.7 vs 10.31±2.56) levels were significantly higher in the NASH group compared to in the control group (P<.001 for each). Nevertheless, adiponectin (11.1±2.1 vs 17.3±2.8) and ghrelin (6.46±1.1 vs 7.8±1.1) levels were lower in the NASH group than in the control group (P<.001 for each). Serum levels of the adipokines and ghrelin, however, were comparable in the subgroups of patients regardless of whether BMI was <30 or >30 or glucose tolerance was impaired or not (P>.05). Additionally, neither adipokines nor ghrelin was correlated with histopathological grade and stage (P>.05). In conclusion; there is a significant relationship between NASH and adipokines and ghrelin independent from BMI and status of the glucose metabolism. These cytokines that appear to have role in the pathogenesis of NASH, however, do not have any effect upon the severity of the histopathology.