- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Mediators of Inflammation
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 568343, 8 pages
Role of Leptin in the Activation of Immune Cells
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Virgen Macarena University Hospital, University of Seville, Av. Dr. Fedriani 3, 41071 Seville, Spain
Received 30 October 2009; Revised 15 January 2010; Accepted 23 January 2010
Academic Editor: Giuseppe Matarese
Copyright © 2010 Patricia Fernández-Riejos et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [71 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- J. Vidal, “Obesidad: ¿factor de riesgo para la gripe?,” Vacunas, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 47–48, 2010.
- Erik A. Karlsson, and Melinda A. Beck, “The burden of obesity on infectious disease,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 235, no. 12, pp. 1412–1424, 2010.
- Stephany Fulda, Stephanie Himmerich, Guenther Wolfram, Jakob Linseisen, Hubertus Himmerich, Thomas Pollmaecher, and Kurt Gedrich, “Leptin Plasma Levels in the General Population: Influence of Age, Gender, B ody Weight and Medical History,” Protein And Peptide Letters, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1436–1440, 2010.
- Jing Li, Jingtong Wang, Koichi Tsuneyama, and Yulan Liu, “Autoimmune liver injury and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease,” Chinese Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 525–527, 2010.
- Andrea Stofkova, Blanka Zelezna, Marianna Romzova, Olga Ulicna, Alexander Kiss, Martina Skurlova, and Jana Jurcovicova, “Effect of Feeding Status on Adjuvant Arthritis Severity, Cachexia, and Insulin Sensitivity in Male Lewis Rats,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2010, pp. 1–12, 2010.
- Manouchehr Nakhjavani, Afsaneh Morteza, Firuzeh Asgarani, Abnoos Mokhtari, Alireza Esteghamati, Omid Khalilzadeh, and Ghazaleh Rahbari, “Metformin restores the correlation between serum-oxidized LDL and leptin le vels in type 2 diabetic patients,” Redox Report, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 193–200, 2011.
- Attila Molvarec, Andras Szarka, Szilvia Walentin, Gabriella Beko, Istvan Karadi, Zoltan Prohaszka, and Janos Rigo, “Serum leptin levels in relation to circulating cytokines, chemokines, adhes ion molecules and angiogenic factors in normal pregnancy and preeclampsia,” Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, vol. 9, 2011.
- Adi Aran, Ling Lin, Laurel Ann Finn, Karin Weiner, Paul Peppard, Terry Young, and Emmanuel Mignot, “Post-Streptococcal Antibodies Are Associated with Metabolic Syndrome in a P opulation-Based Cohort,” Plos One, vol. 6, no. 9, 2011.
- A. Dayakar, S. Chandrasekaran, J. Veronica, and R. Maurya, “Role of leptin in human visceral leishmaniasis?,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 416–418, 2011.
- Shani Ben-Shlomo, Francine H. Einstein, Isabel Zvibel, Dikla Atias, Amir Shlomai, Zamir Halpern, Nir Barzilai, and Sigal Fishman, “Perinephric and Epididymal Fat Affect Hepatic Metabolism in Rats,” Obesity, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 151–156, 2011.
- S. Fonfara, U. Hetzel, S.R. Tew, J. Dukes-Mcewan, P. Cripps, and P.D. Clegg, “Leptin Expression in Dogs with Cardiac Disease and Congestive Heart Failure,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 1017–1024, 2011.
- Gerald Cohen, Jana Raupachova, Dalibor Ilic, Johannes Werzowa, and Walter H. Hoerl, “Effect of leptin on polymorphonuclear leucocyte functions in healthy subjec ts and haemodialysis patients,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 2271–2281, 2011.
- Giancarlo Ceccarelli, Gabriella d'Ettorre, Massimo Mancone, Marco Francone, and Vincenzo Vullo, “Accelerated coronary atherosclerosis after execution of percutaneous coronary intervention in patient with HIV/HCV coinfection: case report and review of the literature,” Cardiovascular Revascularization Medicine, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 262–265, 2011.
- Marc Moss, and Theodore J. Standiford, “Leptin in Fibroproliferative Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Not Just a Satiety Factor,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 183, no. 11, pp. 1443–1444, 2011.
- György Csaba, “The immuno-endocrine system. A new endocrine theory: The problem of the packed transport,” Orvosi Hetilap, vol. 152, no. 20, pp. 777–784, 2011.
- Daniel W Cramer, and Olivera J Finn, “Epidemiologic perspective on immune-surveillance in cancer,” Current Opinion in Immunology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 265–271, 2011.
- Shanchun Guo, Mingli Liu, and Ruben R. Gonzalez-Perez, “Role of Notch and its oncogenic signaling crosstalk in breast cancer,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Reviews on Cancer, vol. 1815, no. 2, pp. 197–213, 2011.
- Aymé Spor, Omry Koren, and Ruth Ley, “Unravelling the effects of the environment and host genotype on the gut microbiome,” Nature Reviews Microbiology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 279–290, 2011.
- Marta Vadacca, Domenico PE Margiotta, Luca Navarini, and Antonella Afeltra, “Leptin in immuno-rheumatological diseases,” Cellular and Molecular Immunology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 203–212, 2011.
- Rebecca L. Robker, Linda L.-Y. Wu, and Xing Yang, “Inflammatory pathways linking obesity and ovarian dysfunction,” Journal of Reproductive Immunology, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 142–148, 2011.
- Lennart Zabeau, Annick Verhee, Dominiek Catteeuw, Liesbeth Faes, Sylvie Seeuws, Tine Decruy, Dirk Elewaut, Frank Peelman, and Jan Tavernier, “Selection of non-competitive leptin antagonists using a random nanobody-based approach,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 441, no. 1, pp. 425–434, 2011.
- C. Berti, H. K. Biesalski, R. Gaertner, A. Lapillonne, K. Pietrzik, L. Poston, C. Redman, B. Koletzko, and I. Cetin, “Micronutrients in pregnancy: Current knowledge and unresolved questions,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 689–701, 2011.
- D. A. Gutierrez, and A. H. Hasty, “Haematopoietic leptin receptor deficiency does not affect macrophage accumulation in adipose tissue or systemic insulin sensitivity,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 212, no. 3, pp. 343–351, 2011.
- Elizabeth T. Abrams, and Elizabeth M. Miller, “The roles of the immune system in Women's reproduction: Evolutionary constraints and life history trade-offs,” American Journal of Physical Anthropology, vol. 146, no. S53, pp. 134–154, 2011.
- Gina M. Pighetti, and A. A. Elliott, “Gene Polymorphisms: The Keys for Marker Assisted Selection and Unraveling Core Regulatory Pathways for Mastitis Resistance,” Journal of Mammary Gland Biology and Neoplasia, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 421–432, 2011.
- Marjorie Poggi, David Engel, Anette Christ, Linda Beckers, Erwin Wijnands, Louis Boon, Ann Driessen, Jack Cleutjens, Christian Weber, Norbert Gerdes, and Esther Lutgens, “CD40L Deficiency Ameliorates Adipose Tissue Inflammation and Metabolic Mani festations of Obesity in Mice,” Arteriosclerosis Thrombosis and Vascular Biology, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 2251–U248, 2011.
- V. Ablamunits, S. Klebanov, S. Y. Giese, and K. C. Herold, “Functional human to mouse adipose tissue xenotransplantation,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 212, no. 1, pp. 41–47, 2011.
- M. Berk, F. Kapczinski, A. C. Andreazza, O. M. Dean, F. Giorlando, M. Maes, M. Yuecel, C. S. Gama, S. Dodd, B. Dean, P. V. S. Magalhaes, P. Amminger, P. McGorry, and G. S. Malhi, “Pathways underlying neuroprogression in bipolar disorder: Focus on inflamma tion, oxidative stress and neurotrophic factors,” Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 804–817, 2011.
- Csaba, “The immuno-endocrine system: Hormones, receptors and endocrine function of immune cells. the packed-transport theory,” Advances in Neuroimmune Biology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 71–85, 2011.
- Ebtesam A. Al-Suhaimi, Noorah A. Al-Riziza, and Reham A. Al-Essa, “Physiological and Therapeutical Roles of Ginger and Turmeric on Endocrine F unctions,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 215–231, 2011.
- Maria Baranowski, Jennifer Enns, Heather Blewett, Uma Yakandawala, Peter Zahradka, and Carla G. Taylor, “Dietary flaxseed oil reduces adipocyte size, adipose monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 levels and T-cell infiltration in obese, insulin-resistant rats,” Cytokine, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 382–391, 2012.
- M Zeyda, B Wernly, S Demyanets, C Kaun, M Hämmerle, B Hantusch, M Schranz, A Neuhofer, B K Itariu, M Keck, G Prager, J Wojta, and T M Stulnig, “Severe obesity increases adipose tissue expression of interleukin-33 and its receptor ST2, both predominantly detectable in endothelial cells of human adipose tissue,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 658–665, 2012.
- Athanasia Mouzaki, Ioannis Panagoulias, George Raptis, and Evagellia Farri-Kostopoulou, “Cord Blood Leptin Levels of Healthy Neonates Are Associated with IFN-gamma Production by Cord Blood T-Cells,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 7, 2012.
- N M Mackey-Lawrence, and W A Petri, “Leptin and mucosal immunity,” Mucosal Immunology, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 472–479, 2012.
- Takanori Ueno, Shinya Wada, Seigo Mashita, Atsutoshi Kuwano, and Yoshinari Katayama, “Pathological Findings in a Case of Equine T-Cell Lymphoma Associated with Ataxia,” Journal of Equine Veterinary Science, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 315–319, 2012.
- Konstantinos Michalakis, and Carel Roux, “Gut Hormones and Leptin: Impact on Energy Control and Changes After Bariatric Surgery—What the Future Holds,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1648–1657, 2012.
- M. Oliveira, D. M. Assis, T. Paschoalin, A. Miranda, E. B. Ribeiro, M. A. Juliano, D. Bromme, M. A. Christoffolete, N. M. T. Barros, and A. K. Carmona, “Cysteine cathepsin S processes leptin, inactivating its biological activity,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 214, no. 2, pp. 217–224, 2012.
- Adrian D. Slee, “Exploring metabolic dysfunction in chronic kidney disease,” Nutrition & Metabolism, vol. 9, 2012.
- Miguel Angel Alejandre Alcazar, Eva Boehler, Eva Rother, Kerstin Amann, Christina Vohlen, Stephan von Hoersten, Christian Plank, and Joerg Doetsch, “Early Postnatal Hyperalimentation Impairs Renal Function via SOCS-3 Mediate d Renal Postreceptor Leptin Resistance,” Endocrinology, vol. 153, no. 3, pp. 1397–1410, 2012.
- C K Tan, H C Chong, E H P Tan, and N S Tan, “Getting ‘Smad’ about obesity and diabetes,” Nutrition and Diabetes, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. e29, 2012.
- Sarah J. McCaskey, Elizabeth A. Rondini, Ingeborg M. Langohr, and Jenifer I. Fenton, “Differential effects of energy balance on experimentally-induced colitis,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 627–636, 2012.
- Nicole Beydon, and Christophe Delclaux, “BMI as a comorbidity factor in childhood asthma,” Expert Review of Respiratory Medicine, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 569–571, 2012.
- Ma-Li Wong, Carina Bertoldi Franco, Claudio Mastronardi, Kevin Boyang Wang, Julio Licinio, and Gilberto Paz-Filho, “Leptin: molecular mechanisms, systemic pro-inflammatory effects, and clinic al implications,” Arquivos Brasileiros De Endocrinologia E Metabologia, vol. 56, no. 9, pp. 597–607, 2012.
- Emma Burgos-Ramos, Lucila Sackmann-Sala, Eva Baquedano, Diana Cruz-Topete, Vicente Barrios, Jesús Argente, and John J. Kopchick, “Central leptin and insulin administration modulates serum cytokine- and lipoprotein-related markers,” Metabolism, vol. 61, no. 11, pp. 1646–1657, 2012.
- Mardi A. Parelman, David H. Storms, Catherine P. Kirschke, Liping Huang, and Susan J. Zunino, “Dietary strawberry powder reduces blood glucose concentrations in obese and lean C57BL/6 mice, and selectively lowers plasma C-reactive protein in lea n mice,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 108, no. 10, pp. 1789–1799, 2012.
- J. Martín-González, F. Sánchez-Jiménez, A. Pérez-Pérez, A. Carmona-Fernández, V. Sánchez-Margalet, and J. J. Segura-Egea, “Leptin expression in healthy and inflamed human dental pulp,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 442–448, 2012.
- Emma Burgos-Ramos, Sandra Canelles, Arancha Perianes-Cachero, Eduardo Arilla-Ferreiro, Jesus Argente, and Vicente Barrios, “Adipose Tissue Promotes a Serum Cytokine Profile Related to Lower Insulin S ensitivity after Chronic Central Leptin Infusion,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 10, 2012.
- Christiane D. Wrann, Tobias Laue, Lena Huebner, Susanne Kuhlmann, Roland Jacobs, Lilia Goudeva, and Heike Nave, “Short-term and long-term leptin exposure differentially affect human natura l killer cell immune functions,” American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 302, no. 1, pp. E108–E116, 2012.
- S. Haefner, J. Baumert, R. T. Emeny, M. E. Lacruz, B. Thorand, C. Herder, W. Koenig, R. Rupprecht, and K. H. Ladwig, “Sleep disturbances and depressed mood: A harmful combination associated wit h increased leptin levels in women with normal weight,” Biological Psychology, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 163–169, 2012.
- Sokratis Trellakis, Alena Rydleuskaya, Cornelia Fischer, Ali Canbay, Sefik Tagay, André Scherag, Kirsten Bruderek, Patrick J. Schuler, and Sven Brandau, “Low Adiponectin, High Levels of Apoptosis and Increased Peripheral Blood Neutrophil Activity in Healthy Obese Subjects,” Obesity Facts, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 305–318, 2012.
- Masahide Takeda, Shigeharu Ueki, Hikari Kato, Yasunori Konno, Mami Chihara, Masamichi Itoga, Yoshiki Kobayashi, Yuki Moritoki, Wataru Ito, Hiroyuki Kayaba, and Junichi Chihara, “Obesity and Eosinophilic Inflammation: Does Leptin Play a Role?,” International Archives of Allergy and Immunology, vol. 158, pp. 87–91, 2012.
- Amir Morshedi, Sayyed Hamid Zarkesh-Esfahani, and Mohaddeseh Behjati, “Effect of Leptin on Neutrophils Phagocytosis and Lymphocytes Apoptosis Challenge by Listeria monocytogenes and Escherichia coli,” Jundishapur Journal of Microbiology, vol. 6, no. 7, 2013.
- Gerwyn Morris, Michael Berk, Piotr Galecki, and Michael Maes, “The Emerging Role of Autoimmunity in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/cfs),” Molecular Neurobiology, 2013.
- M.G. Hristova, “Metabolic syndrome – From the neurotrophic hypothesis to a theory,” Medical Hypotheses, 2013.
- M. E. Inzaugarat, L. A. Billordo, F. Vodánovich, G. M. Cervini, P. L. Casavalle, C. Vedire, and A. C. Cherñavsky, “Alterations in innate and adaptive immune leukocytes are involved in paediatric obesity,” Pediatric Obesity, 2013.
- Paolo Marzullo, Alessandro Minocci, Paola Giarda, Cecilia Marconi, Antonella Tagliaferri, Gillian E. Walker, Massimo Scacchi, Gianluca Aimaretti, and Antonio Liuzzi, “Lymphocytes and immunoglobulin patterns across the threshold of severe obesity,” Endocrine, 2013.
- Udai P. Singh, Narendra P. Singh, Hongbing Guan, Brandon Busbee, Robert L. Price, Dennis D. Taub, Manoj K. Mishra, Raja Fayad, Mitzi Nagarkatti, and Prakash S. Nagarkatti, “Leptin antagonist ameliorates chronic colitis in IL-10−/− mice,” Immunobiology, 2013.
- Claudia Holzman, Patricia K. Senagore, and Jianling Wang, “Mononuclear Leukocyte Infiltrate in Extraplacental Membranes and Preterm De livery,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 177, no. 10, pp. 1053–1064, 2013.
- Chaonan Fan, Hylde Zirpoli, and Kemin Qi, “n-3 fatty acids modulate adipose tissue inflammation and oxidative stress,” Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 124–132, 2013.
- Sarah J. White, Matthew J. Taylor, Ryan T. Hurt, Michael D. Jensen, and Gregory A. Poland, “Leptin-based adjuvants: An innovative approach to improve vaccine response,” Vaccine, vol. 31, no. 13, pp. 1666–1672, 2013.
- Tuo Deng, Christopher J. Lyon, Laurie J. Minze, Jianxin Lin, Jia Zou, Joey Z. Liu, Yuelan Ren, Zheng Yin, Dale J. Hamilton, Patrick R. Reardon, Vadim Sherman, Helen Y. Wang, Kevin J. Phillips, Paul Webb, Stephen T.C. Wong, Rong-fu Wang, and Willa A. Hsueh, “Class II Major Histocompatibility Complex Plays an Essential Role in Obesity-Induced Adipose Inflammation,” Cell Metabolism, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 411–422, 2013.
- Nancie J. MacIver, Ryan D. Michalek, and Jeffrey C. Rathmell, “Metabolic Regulation of T Lymphocytes,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 259–283, 2013.
- Bruno Lamas, Nicolas Goncalves-Mendes, Rachida Nachat-Kappes, Adrien Rossary, Florence Caldefie-Chezet, Marie-Paule Vasson, and Marie-Chantal Farges, “Leptin modulates dose-dependently the metabolic and cytolytic activities of NK-92 cells,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 228, no. 6, pp. 1202–1209, 2013.
- Weiqiang Zhou, Guangdi Wang, and Shanchun Guo, “Regulation of angiogenesis via Notch signaling in breast cancer and cancer stem cells,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Reviews on Cancer, 2013.
- Jénifer Martín-González, Antonio Pérez-Pérez, Flora Sánchez-Jiménez, Antonio Carmona-Fernández, Daniel Torres-Lagares, Víctor Sánchez-Margalet, and Juan J. Segura-Egea, “Leptin Receptor Is Up-regulated in Inflamed Human Dental Pulp,” Journal of Endodontics, 2013.
- Jun Zhao, and Matthew W. Lawless, “Stop feeding cancer: Pro-inflammatory role of visceral adiposity in liver cancer,” Cytokine, 2013.
- S. Yurt, H. Erman, G.G. Korkmaz, A.F. Kosar, P. Uysal, R. Gelisgen, G. Simsek, and H. Uzun, “The role of feed regulating peptides on weight loss in patients with pulmonary tuberculosis,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 46, no. 1-2, pp. 40–44, 2013.
- Eui Geum Oh, So Youn Bang, Soo Hyun Kim, Sa Saeng Hyun, Sang Hui Chu, Justin Y. Jeon, Jee Aee Im, Jung Eun Lee, and Mi Kyung Lee, “Therapeutic Lifestyle Modification Program Reduces Plasma Levels of the Che mokines CRP and MCP-1 in Subjects With Metabolic Syndrome,” Biological Research for Nursing, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 48–55, 2013.
- John J. Worthington, Linda C. Samuelson, Richard K. Grencis, and John T. McLaughlin, “Adaptive Immunity Alters Distinct Host Feeding Pathways during Nematode Ind uced Inflammation, a Novel Mechanism in Parasite Expulsion,” Plos Pathogens, vol. 9, no. 1, 2013.
- JuHyun Song, Sung Jae Shin, and Jong-Seok Kim, “Leptin: A Multifunctional Role as an Immunomodulator in Mycobacterial Lung Disease,” Journal of Bacteriology and Virology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 1, 2013.
- Mariam Al-Fadhli, Mohammad Saraya, Jafar Qasem, Fawaz Azizieh, Shahab Shahab, and Raj Raghupathy, “Relationship between Leptin Levels and Suppressed CD4 Counts in HIV Patients,” Medical Principles and Practice, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 54–58, 2013.